Sox vs baby bears ST game thread- Ides of March

"Flowers scratched...back"

I hope that Flowers back issue isn't something that is going to come up during the season. Giminez is really a borderline

major league catcher and so are the rest of the possible catchers in our system that might be brought up in case Flowers

hits the DL this season.

I hope this is wrong, but I am now starting to think that Morel might very well make the 25 man roster. It is possible that Hahn, KW and Ventura do not have enough confidence that Gillaspie can make the routine plays consistently at 3B. Also, the Sox have been saying that Keppinger's arm is not a concern and that he has fully recovered from the leg injury, but we have not seen enough of Keppinger in the field this Spring to conclude that he is righteous defensively at 3B.

Edited by southside_hitman

QUOTE (southside_hitman @ Mar 15, 2013 -> 01:32 PM)
"Flowers scratched...back"

I hope that Flowers back issue isn't something that is going to come up during the season. Giminez is really a borderline

major league catcher and so are the rest of the possible catchers in our system that might be brought up in case Flowers

hits the DL this season.

I hope this is wrong, but I am now starting to think that Morel might very well make the 25 man roster. It is possible that Hahn, KW and Ventura do not have enough confidence that Gillaspie can make the routine plays consistently at 3B. Also, the Sox have been saying that Keppinger's arm is not a concern and that he has fully recovered from the leg injury, but we have not seen enough of Keppinger in the field this Spring to conclude that he is righteous defensively at 3B.

I think they are considering Morel as the infield utility guy, meaning both Gillaspie and Morel would make the roster.

I think they are considering Morel as the infield utility guy, meaning both Gillaspie and Morel would make the roster.

Assuming that Keppinger, Gila monster and Morel make the cut, then "who's on third" will

become the question of the day before each game. That combo of infielders on the roster

really puts the pressure on ARam to start almost every game at Short.

QUOTE (southside_hitman @ Mar 15, 2013 -> 02:32 PM)

hits the DL this season.

I don't think "Back stiffness" at this point in the spring, particularly for a catcher, is something totally unexpected.

And continue to remember, out of the infielders we have, Morel's the guy with options. They're going to send him down because not sending him down means someone is lost. Besides, the other guys Morel would be competing with, Gillaspie and Sanchez, are outhitting him. Morels' hitting a whopping .226 in games that are recorded.

QUOTE (southside_hitman @ Mar 15, 2013 -> 02:45 PM)
Assuming that Keppinger, Gila monster and Morel make the cut, then "who's on third" will

become the question of the day before each game. That combo of infielders on the roster

really puts the pressure on ARam to start almost every game at Short.

Do you really think Sanchez is the odd man out in favor of Morel?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 15, 2013 -> 01:51 PM)
Do you really think Sanchez is the odd man out in favor of Morel?

I agree that the answer is no, and it is because of what the last couple posters said: (1) someone needs to backup SS and (2) Morel has options

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 15, 2013 -> 01:58 PM)
I agree that the answer is no, and it is because of what the last couple posters said: (1) someone needs to backup SS and (2) Morel has options

If Morel shows he can play an adequate SS, that gives us coverage, plus Keppinger at the position.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 15, 2013 -> 01:58 PM)

Mark Gonzalez told me that Morel looked okay at SS and that the coaching staff isn't afraid of having him out there occasionally. With that said, I hope he goes to Charlotte.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 15, 2013 -> 03:09 PM)
If Morel shows he can play an adequate SS, that gives us coverage, plus Keppinger at the position.

Do you really think he could "Show" that in spring training? I think that's the kind of position switch he'd have to work for months on at Charlotte to be convincing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 15, 2013 -> 02:12 PM)
Do you really think he could "Show" that in spring training? I think that's the kind of position switch he'd have to work for months on at Charlotte to be convincing.

He has played it in the past. It isn't an entirely new position to him. It isn't hard to make a judgement on his range, and footwork. The only real change for him would be handling the plays at 2nd such as the steal and the DP pivot. At most we are talking about once every two to three weeks, if they don't use Keppinger over there. We don't need Ozzie Smith there or anything.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Mar 15, 2013 -> 02:58 PM)
Gameday is different from last season. Anyone know if it's possible to change it back?

It seems to me that maybe MLB was having issues with the version from last year so they went back to their old version. It feels like early 2000's with the flash interface.

On a side note Scott Feldman is bad. Real bad.

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Mar 15, 2013 -> 04:01 PM)
It seems to me that maybe MLB was having issues with the version from last year so they went back to their old version. It feels like early 2000's with the flash interface.

On a side note Scott Feldman is bad. Real bad.

IIRC they didn't have the advanced gameday available during spring training alst year either.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 15, 2013 -> 03:19 PM)
IIRC they didn't have the advanced gameday available during spring training alst year either.

Ah. That makes sense. I was wondering why I was only getting the old version as an option. IIRC last year during the regular season you could choose either one.