2013 Win-Loss Prediction Thread - Annual and Official

NorthSideSox72

2013 Sox - How Many Wins  

75 members have voted

1. 1. How many wins will the 2013 Sox have in the regular season?

• less than 65
    • 65-68
    • 69-72
    • 73-76
    • 77-80
    • 81-84
    • 85-88
    • 89-92
    • 93-96
    • 97+

I would rather watch the Yankees wallow in the cellar in their high priced misery. Besides, I am still sore at them for the paltry return they gave for Swisher.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 17, 2013 -> 08:12 PM)
The same as trading Ramirez. Season over.

And the fact is, the Yankees want nothing to do with Dunn long-term, either.

They've already got to pay A-Rod and TEX a boatload of money.

Mostly importantly, they have Boesch, Granderson, Gardner, Ichiro and Travis Hafner to give AB's to still.

There's plenty of LH bats in there.

They would only be on the hook for him for another 2 years, that isnt really long term. But again, F*** the yankees. Let them pay the luxury tax on last place.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 17, 2013 -> 08:12 PM)
The same as trading Ramirez. Season over.

And the fact is, the Yankees want nothing to do with Dunn long-term, either.

They've already got to pay A-Rod and TEX a boatload of money.

Mostly importantly, they have Boesch, Granderson, Gardner, Ichiro and Travis Hafner to give AB's to still.

There's plenty of LH bats in there.

Yeah, you can't say on one had that attendance is important, but then trade one of your biggest named and dollared players in spring training.

Let's get this straight -- there are some similarities between Q and Buehrle, but Q has significantly better stuff than Buehrle.

Q's average fastball velocity last year was 90.4. Buehrle's career high was 87.1, and that was in 2002. We can argue back and forth about the quality of the offspeed pitches (I believe Buehrle's off speed repertoire is no good, he simply uses them brilliantly), but the 3 mph is a tremendous difference. Q as a velocity pitcher is closer to Chris Sale as a starter (91.6) than Mark Buehrle.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 17, 2013 -> 10:27 PM)
Let's get this straight -- there are some similarities between Q and Buehrle, but Q has significantly better stuff than Buehrle.

Q's average fastball velocity last year was 90.4. Buehrle's career high was 87.1, and that was in 2002. We can argue back and forth about the quality of the offspeed pitches (I believe Buehrle's off speed repertoire is no good, he simply uses them brilliantly), but the 3 mph is a tremendous difference. Q as a velocity pitcher is closer to Chris Sale as a starter (91.6) than Mark Buehrle.

Buehrle may be one of a kind with how he pitches. His stuff is awful, yet he made it work.

Stuff-wise, you can favorably compare a lot of guys to Buehrle. But a lot of them will make $100 million less during their careers. His command is what sets him apart. I also think how quickly he works helps him immensely. I still don't understand why hitters aren't constantly stepping out of the box on him, especially when he's on a roll. If Q has the command he had when he first came up, he will be really good. If not, he probably will be selling cars in a couple of years.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 08:41 AM)
Stuff-wise, you can favorably compare a lot of guys to Buehrle. But a lot of them will make $100 million less during their careers. His command is what sets him apart. I also think how quickly he works helps him immensely. I still don't understand why hitters aren't constantly stepping out of the box on him, especially when he's on a roll. If Q has the command he had when he first came up, he will be really good. If not, he probably will be selling cars in a couple of years.

I think hitters tend to have a bit more success when they step out, but Buehrle never lets them get comfortable in the box. They step out, step back in, and the second they look up, there's a pitch coming. He never gives the opposition much time to think.

Every pitch he throws looks exactly the same coming out too. It's not easy when you have no idea what he's throwing and you have no time to think. And then when you get in that rhythm, he is slower and more deliberate to get you to overthink at the plate.

To me, more than command or control or varying his stuff perfectly, keeping hitters (and baserunners) uncomfortable is what makes him successful more than anything.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 11:36 AM)
I think hitters tend to have a bit more success when they step out, but Buehrle never lets them get comfortable in the box. They step out, step back in, and the second they look up, there's a pitch coming. He never gives the opposition much time to think.

Every pitch he throws looks exactly the same coming out too. It's not easy when you have no idea what he's throwing and you have no time to think. And then when you get in that rhythm, he is slower and more deliberate to get you to overthink at the plate.

To me, more than command or control or varying his stuff perfectly, keeping hitters (and baserunners) uncomfortable is what makes him successful more than anything.

There was a Fangraphs (I think) article a while back that I thought perfectly illustrated why MB was so successful. They had lists of the 10 or 20 best of each kind of pitch in the majors - fastball, cutter, splitter, slider, curve, change, etc. Despite the fact that Buehrle wasn't on any of those lists, they made a special note about him. Most starting pitchers have 3 or 4 pitches they throw total, and few had more than one or two that were above average. MB has 5 pitches he throws regularly... 4 of which are above average, but all just slightly so. So, as a hitter, you face a pitcher, you probably know the 1 or maybe 2 good pitches a guy throws. With Mark, they all come out of his hand the same, but it could be one of 4 distinct pitches, which he can locate anywhere. That makes it awfully tough to hit him.

If Sox pitching is dominant and defense is good to great we should finish 10 over .500. I would expect the Sox record to improve against divisional opposition this year because KC is no longer considered a doormat. KC may still be a doormat but with some name starting pitchers I think the Sox will take KC seriously. Minnie and Cleveland are so bad they are incapable of beating the Sox even if Sox take them lightly.

Maybe this is the year. It would help if Flowers emerges as a star. I'm hoping this is the year the Sox have the pitching/defense winning formula down pat.

Edited by greg775

The White Sox are historically front-runners who fade late....see 2000, 2005, 2006, 2010, 2012, etc.

The only seasons (in recent years) they've picked it up in the second half were 2003 (before fading in the face of the Twins' onslaught) and the last week or so in 2008...

But they've almost never started poorly in April and May and recovered enough to win anything. We say it every year. Need a hot start and for the fans to believe the team can win to start supporting the team in late May and June, but it still didn't even happen last year.

With all the skepticism about a DET dynasty, it's going to be tough if they don't come out of April with a winning record....and knowing all those head-to-head games with the Tigers loom in the 2nd half of the season. This year, we were just praying to see those games in the rear view mirror.

Here's how I'm looking at this season --- 89 wins or bust and ignore the Tigers until July 9, since the Sox don't play them until then.

Break down of each season series for 89 wins:

Cle 11-8

Det 9-10

KC 11-8

Min 12-7

Bal 4-3

Bos 3-3

NY 3-3

TB 3-4

Tor 4-3

Hou 5-2

LAA 4-3

Oak 3-4

Sea 4-2

Tex 3-3

Cubs 2-2

Mets 2-2

Was 1-2

Phi 1-2

Atl 2-1

Mia 2-1

Record on key dates:

April 28: 15-11

May 30: 31-23

June 30: 47-35

July 8: 50 wins before playing the Tigers

August 1: 60-48

September 1: 76-60

September 29: 89-73

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Mar 23, 2013 -> 06:39 PM)
Man, that normal curve is pretty normal

Sitting at 86-87 wins.

The fact that Danks isn't putting on strength fast enough concerns me a bit, but I kind of anticipated a slightly late start and career average performance from him. Hopefully he can do that.

77-85 (4th place in AL Central)

Tigers over Braves to win the World Series

Team MVP: Rios

Team LVP: Flowers (he's going to really struggle against righties, which is bad news in our division)

Most improved: Beckham

Biggest downfall: Dunn

Biggest surprise: Santiago ends the season as Sox #2 starter after Floyd gets traded and one of Sale/Peavy gets injured

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 25, 2013 -> 11:18 PM)
77-85 (4th place in AL Central)

Tigers over Braves to win the World Series

Team MVP: Rios

Team LVP: Flowers (he's going to really struggle against righties, which is bad news in our division)

Most improved: Beckham

Biggest downfall: Dunn

Biggest surprise: Santiago ends the season as Sox #2 starter after Floyd gets traded and one of Sale/Peavy gets injured

If you are right, this is one blah season ahead of us as fans.