Sox announce next round of cuts

southsider2k5

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Mar 16, 2013 -> 01:15 PM)
Settle down Balta :lol: Sanchez better be headed down too. I don't see him as being ready

He's clearly not ready yet...but maybe having someone breathing down his neck will be what Gordon needs...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 16, 2013 -> 05:16 PM)
He's clearly not ready yet...but maybe having someone breathing down his neck will be what Gordon needs...

Maybe. But, I think Gordon has done his own pushing of himself to get better. This could be a real good year for the Gordo

Gordon's glove is the only thing I'd miss about him. But if we sacrifice defense for more offensive production out of an infield of Gillaspie-Ramirez-Keppinger-Konerko so be it.

Danks it putting on a rush now, but probably too late....they'll go with the veteran in Wise, with Danks "first man in" in case of an injury.

Thought at the beginning of camp the LH catcher (Anderson) had a shot (maybe even platooning with Flowers) but it seems the job is now Gimenez's to lose.

Gillaspie has definitely been the most pleasant surprise, along with the continuing progress from Mitchell, but we've seen him play well in bursts throughout his entire spring training, AFL and minor league career.

https://twitter.com/M_Montemurro

Didn't know the White Sox and Cubs had a beat writer with the Northwest Herald, or that there even was such a paper (just knew the Arlington Daily Herald). Good for her. Not the easiest job for women to be in a locker room in any sport, but especially on a daily/weekly basis. I'm sure there are others around MLB teams, but there can't be more than a handful.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 16, 2013 -> 09:55 PM)
I know Mitchell isn't making the team no matter what but I thought maybe his performance so far would have earned him an extra week or something.

They still bring the minor leaguers over for some games, but the Sox probably want to get a closer look at Danks, Wise and Tekotte.

Sitting Mitchell on the Sox bench would do nothing for his development, he needs to play everyday.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 16, 2013 -> 01:02 PM)
Obviously Carlos Sanchez won't be making the team, but I think with him still around, they're taking a real long look at him. They know he's close.

They want him getting as many major league style AB's as possible to get as realistic of an evaluation as possible, plus they want to give him as much of a taste of the bigs as possible. This is how the Sox organization has always run training camp.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 16, 2013 -> 10:55 PM)
I know Mitchell isn't making the team no matter what but I thought maybe his performance so far would have earned him an extra week or something.

I did too. Kind of surprised he wasn't kept longer just because of how well he's done. Obviously he wasn't making the team, but the continued experience/exposure could have been nice.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Mar 16, 2013 -> 09:54 PM)
With Gordon as the utility infielder, sounds good to me.

That's not going to happen.

Out of those 5, if one is going to be a utility infielder - ie playing all over the infield and not one sole position in a platoon - it's going to be Keppinger because he's been doing it for essentially the entirety of his career. Beyond that, you are going to give Beckham as many chances as long as it makes sense financially. He has shown, though only for a half a season his rookie year, that he is capable of being a power hitting, .800+ OPS player who plays fantastic defense, which would be worth as much as 3-4 wins. Keppinger, at his absolute best, is a .300+ singles hitter who doesn't strike out much, murders left handers, and is mediocre defensively, which is probably 2 win player at its best, and it's just as likely he hits .260 and puts up an OPS in the .670 range.

If Beckham shows after about 2 months that he is still incapable, they may option him to the minors and bring up Sanchez to give him an extended shot. That would involve Beckham putting up something around a .625 OPS or worse during those months. If he's at .675, he's going to be on the roster still playing primarily every day.

This idea that the Sox will get rid of Beckham any time soon is mind boggling.

No one will want to hear it, but there's actually a case to be made that, once accounting for luck, last year was a bounceback offensive year for Beckham

Could we finally get that collision of 2011 fielding and 2012 with the bat, and with the luck uptick..?

The thing with Gordon is the results we've seen are particularly shocking and depressing because of expectation and build-up. But lets remember the stakes for a guy like that at 2B are not deadly. Plus his rookie season already hit that ceiling that Gillaspie is aiming to even get near-- and it's a win-now roster. CG will get at-bats for sure to diversify the lineup, but i think Gordon is firmly in place on opening day and will have a long-sized leash as well.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 10:59 AM)
I did too. Kind of surprised he wasn't kept longer just because of how well he's done. Obviously he wasn't making the team, but the continued experience/exposure could have been nice.

The problem is they still do have some really decisions to make involving Tekotte, Danks, and/or another IFer.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 11:08 AM)
Mildly surprised that Morel didn't make it another round, but that probably explains why they were exploring Beckhams SS skills. It is down to Gillaspie and Sanchez for the last roster spot on the IF.

I think Angel Sanchez and Gillaspie are both on the team.

Assuming 100% health, I think the 11 remaining cuts are:

OF: Danks, Tekotte

IF: Tolleson, Bell

C: Anderson

P: Gray, Septimo, Omogrosso, Purcey, Troncoso, Axelrod

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 10:13 AM)
I think Angel Sanchez and Gillaspie are both on the team.

Assuming 100% health, I think the 11 remaining cuts are:

OF: Danks, Tekotte

IF: Tolleson, Bell

C: Anderson

P: Gray, Septimo, Omogrosso, Purcey, Troncoso, Axelrod

I agree with this, however I do have a question that hopefully some of you can give me some insight on. It would be nice if one of our bench players was capable of playing several positions such as both infield and outfield, outfield and catcher, etc. in a fairly competent way to give R. V. a little more flexibility late in a game for pinch hitting, running, injury, etc. Something like Lillibridge used to be able to do.

Would someone like say Jordan Danks, who has to realize by now that his chances of making a major league club strictly as an outfielder are dwindling, be open to and actively seek to learn another position to make them a little more valuable to a team? In this case, if Danks could play, at least fairly competently for a few innings at most, 3rd base or even better yet, catcher that would increase his value tremendously. As a professional athlete I can't imagine that it would be too terribly hard to at least learn the basics of a position competently. Any opinions? - like I really have to ask around here

Edited by balfanman

You have a better chance of an infielder learning outfield (such as Lillibridge) than the opposite. Others on here have probably seen Sanchez, Keppinger, and Gillispie more to know how they specifically might fare.