Sox announce next round of cuts

southsider2k5

It's a lot easier to go from the infield to the outfield (other than 1B). There's no way Danks plays any infield position but 1B, and that's pushing it.

I'm sure the emergency catcher will be Gillaspie or Sanchez, and one of those two, if anybody, will learn outfield positions. Danks will have a major league career, there's no need to worry about his versatility. There's always room in the majors for guys who play good defense, run the bases, and can hit the ball over the fence, even if they hit .220.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (balfanman @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 12:36 PM)
I agree with this, however I do have a question that hopefully some of you can give me some insight on. It would be nice if one of our bench players was capable of playing several positions such as both infield and outfield, outfield and catcher, etc. in a fairly competent way to give R. V. a little more flexibility late in a game for pinch hitting, running, injury, etc. Something like Lillibridge used to be able to do.

Would someone like say Jordan Danks, who has to realize by now that his chances of making a major league club strictly as an outfielder are dwindling, be open to and actively seek to learn another position to make them a little more valuable to a team? In this case, if Danks could play, at least fairly competently for a few innings at most, 3rd base or even better yet, catcher that would increase his value tremendously. As a professional athlete I can't imagine that it would be too terribly hard to at least learn the basics of a position competently. Any opinions? - like I really have to ask around here

I think it would take at least a season, probably several, to teach him to play an infield position competently enough to be used at the Major League level. Unless he played some infield in college, about which I know nothing. I don't think High School experience would be enough.

The Sox are covered.

They need Viciedo, De Aza, and Rios to play 150+ games. And Wise is there to play the other three spots.

Gillaspie and Keppinger is a pretty decent platoon at 3B. And Keppinger can play a little 2B, and probably would be ok in LF if forced to in an emergency.

Dunn and Konerko will split time at 1B, and Gillaspie has been playing there too.

And Angel Sanchez can play middle infield, backing up Beckham and Ramirez.

Edited by flavum

So 25 spring training AB's and he's done, lol?

In that case, Ryan Sweeney should have made the roster based on his hot spring seemingly a decade ago and Wilson Betemit should have been the starting 3B based on his 8 ST homers.

Just ridiculous. You can put yourself on the map with a positive showing, like Seth Loman this spring, or back on the map like Mitchell...but to say Gordon Beckham's future is secure now is insane, based only on limited ST results.

We all know Angel Sanchez will probably end up hitting closer to 160 than 360.

The only thing I'm a bit worried about is Adam Dunn, based on the finish to 2012 and how he's been hitting this spring again. He can't get off to another atrocious start like 2011.

Not only that, but Rogers admits he struggled and excuses him for being tired from AFL and Venezuelan winter ball and then turns around and blames the Sox for demoting him? Sheez. Not very logical argument there.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (mataipaepae @ Mar 22, 2013 -> 11:20 PM)
not real high on wise as our 4th outfielder.

I guess paying him what they are paying must have played into that decision somewhat. He can field and everyone remembers "the catch"

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Mar 22, 2013 -> 04:30 PM)
I guess paying him what they are paying must have played into that decision somewhat. He can field and everyone remembers "the catch"

I'd rather give a young guy the chance to develop at this level.

guys like wise are always available if the young kid falls. so let either danks or mitchell just run with it.

QUOTE (mataipaepae @ Mar 22, 2013 -> 05:48 PM)
I'd rather give a young guy the chance to develop at this level.

guys like wise are always available if the young kid falls. so let either danks or mitchell just run with it.

How much do you develop playing only Sundays?

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Mar 22, 2013 -> 05:58 PM)
How much do you develop playing only Sundays?

when your the 4th outfielder you play more than just sundays. that is why it would make sense for one of the younger kids to play. both mitchell and danks can play all three outfield positions.

and like i said if they fail i would almost be positive wise or player of similar skill would be available still.

QUOTE (mataipaepae @ Mar 22, 2013 -> 10:31 PM)
when your the 4th outfielder you play more than just sundays. that is why it would make sense for one of the younger kids to play. both mitchell and danks can play all three outfield positions.

and like i said if they fail i would almost be positive wise or player of similar skill would be available still.

You can argue Danks or Tekotte against Wise, but not that Mitchell should be the 4th.

He needs to play everyday.

And Mitchell doesn't have the arm for RF.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 26, 2013 -> 02:37 PM)
Who are the extra six left in camp right now? Omogrosso, one of the catchers (Phegley I think), and who else?

Gray, Omogrosso, Troncoso,

Anderson (not Phegley)

Tolleson, Bell

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 26, 2013 -> 02:48 PM)
Arguing about the 4th outfielder is a little like arguing about diarrhea and vomiting. Regardless of which is actually better, an extended stay of either is going to be extremely unpleasant.

Drunk vomiting or stomach flu vomiting? Big difference.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 26, 2013 -> 02:41 PM)
Gray, Omogrosso, Troncoso,

Anderson (not Phegley)

Tolleson, Bell

I don't get keeping Tolleson and Bell in camp, they aren't getting jobs for OD. Anderson I get, they always keep a 3rd catcher around in AZ. Omogrosso and Troncoso are in the running for Crain's spot if he isn't ready... but Gray?