Sox will keep Floyd til at least July

southsider2k5

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chicago/chat/_/id/47420

The White Sox will keep Gavin Floyd at least until July and perhaps beyond depending on where they are in the pennant race, Levine opines. Floyd was rumored to be on the trade block earlier this winter and could be the odd man out of the Sox rotation if John Danks is healthy.

I have seen no evidence that Gavin Floyd is mentally weak short of the fact that he is inconsistent. Maybe that's because...he's an inconsistent player. People seem to think that you can simply will a ball into the strike zone and if you don't do that, you're a p****.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 09:28 PM)
Really? How, exactly, can we ascertain that?

How can you ascertain that he IS a headcase?? Is it fair to be throwing around unfair and libelous accusations about a player because of mere perceptions? His raw numbers don't indicate it (the deviation in his ERA over the last 5 years is minimal. He had a higher FIP last year but also saw his K/9 increase as well. He has, by and large, been the exact same pitcher the last 5 years.

Calling Floyd a headcase is BS.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 09:44 PM)
How can you ascertain that he IS a headcase?? Is it fair to be throwing around unfair and libelous accusations about a player because of mere perceptions? His raw numbers don't indicate it (the deviation in his ERA over the last 5 years is minimal. He had a higher FIP last year but also saw his K/9 increase as well. He has, by and large, been the exact same pitcher the last 5 years.

Calling Floyd a headcase is BS.

Not what I was saying or arguing.

My question is how we can be so sure that all the trade talk hasn't affected his performance??

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 09:53 PM)
Not what I was saying or arguing.

My question is how we can be so sure that all the trade talk hasn't affected his performance??

The numbers he's put up suggest it hasn't. Maybe it has. Nobody knows except Gavin.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 09:55 PM)
The numbers he's put up suggest it hasn't. Maybe it has. Nobody knows except Gavin.

There was also the belief that when he signed that guaranteed, longer-term deal (the same one Danks turned down) that the added career security/stability/peace of mind would help his performance going forward.

That hasn't happened, he's never been as good for as long as he was in the 2008 season.

Several media members have intimated that Floyd is a headcase through interactions with him, and that the Sox go through gyrations trying to keep everything consistent for him between starts. I don't know if that's concrete evidence, but it's certainly the best you're going to get when looking for evidence of mental midgetry. Certainly no numbers can actually prove it.

Floyd has always seemed to me to be a pitcher with good stuff, occassionally great stuff, who seems to fold under pressure at times. I've seen him cruising along, give up a couple hits, and completely fall apart. However, I can remember two starts where he flirted with a no-hitter.

Overall, he's an inning eater and has the potential to be a good, sometimes great pitcher. With Danks seemingly not 100%, having Floyd makes things look a lot better.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 05:50 AM)
Floyd has always seemed to me to be a pitcher with good stuff, occassionally great stuff, who seems to fold under pressure at times. I've seen him cruising along, give up a couple hits, and completely fall apart. However, I can remember two starts where he flirted with a no-hitter.

Overall, he's an inning eater and has the potential to be a good, sometimes great pitcher. With Danks seemingly not 100%, having Floyd makes things look a lot better.

That happens to all kinds of pitchers though. Mark Buehrle got like 45 outs in a row and ended up giving up 5 runs in 6.1 IP. He blew up once he gave up a hit. I wouldn't classify Mark Buehrle as a guy who folds under pressure.

The only guy I can honestly say I saw consistenly fold under pressure was Javier Vazquez.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 08:07 AM)
That happens to all kinds of pitchers though. Mark Buehrle got like 45 outs in a row and ended up giving up 5 runs in 6.1 IP. He blew up once he gave up a hit. I wouldn't classify Mark Buehrle as a guy who folds under pressure.

The only guy I can honestly say I saw consistenly fold under pressure was Javier Vazquez.

You're right. It does happen to all pitchers from time to time. And yes, Vazquez was the king of falling apart. But, to me it seemed like this happened to Floyd more often than some of the other Sox pitchers over the past few years.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 08:11 AM)
You're right. It does happen to all pitchers from time to time. And yes, Vazquez was the king of falling apart. But, to me it seemed like this happened to Floyd more often than some of the other Sox pitchers over the past few years.

When he does that, I generally see it as an inability to find a consistent curve and/or change, so he has to work primarily with his fastball. He locates his fastball pretty well, but it doesn't have a lot of movement and when hitters square it up, they hit it a long way. He's a decent pitcher with inconsistent stuff who gets destroyed as a result.

With regard to his stuff, he's probably got the most inconsistent stuff I've ever seen in a pitcher, that I have no problem debating. One outing his curve will have the bottom fall out, the next his change will dive down and in to righties and be incredible, and the next he's nothing but fastballs. It's maddening

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 08:18 AM)
When he does that, I generally see it as an inability to find a consistent curve and/or change, so he has to work primarily with his fastball. He locates his fastball pretty well, but it doesn't have a lot of movement and when hitters square it up, they hit it a long way. He's a decent pitcher with inconsistent stuff who gets destroyed as a result.

With regard to his stuff, he's probably got the most inconsistent stuff I've ever seen in a pitcher, that I have no problem debating. One outing his curve will have the bottom fall out, the next his change will dive down and in to righties and be incredible, and the next he's nothing but fastballs. It's maddening

I have noticed that at times his curve is nearly unhittable. When he has a day like that, I have high hopes for him. Then he has a day when he's essentially throwing BP.

I think that after Gavin got some positive feedback last year on some adjustment(s) in his delivery and did well that we see winning results this year. I for one would have no problem with keeping him beyond this contract.

Edited by elrockinMT