Sox will keep Floyd til at least July

southsider2k5

or what if it's this:

pitchers are inconsistent. all pitchers. unless you're the best of the best (top 5-10 pitchers in the league) you're going to have big bouts of inconsistency. that doesn't make you a "mental midget". it makes you a normal MLB pitcher.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 10:53 AM)
I think that after Gavin got some positive feedback last year on some adjustment(s) in his delivery and did well that we see winning results this year. I for one would have no problem with keeping him beyond this contract.

If you could have, this team would still have Jermaine Dye on it.

I know as a Sox fan I'm overly critical of Sox players. Floyd has a lifetime ERA of 4.29 (4.20 with the Sox), and has averaged nearly 170 innings and 134 Ks a season while with the Sox. That's not bad at all. If he can gain some better consistent control, he could be a 18-20 game winner with a sub 4.00 ERA.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 05:34 PM)
Calling Floyd a mental midget and worse? Man there are a lot of racists in this thread.

I don't understand it myself. I can accept that some might want a player traded, released, etc, or just don't think they are a good fit, but name calling and such seems too much. I also think folks ought to satrt thinking of the alternative and the replacement and make a rational argument instead of so much hyperbole

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 09:34 AM)
Calling Floyd a mental midget and worse? Man there are a lot of racists in this thread.

Well, I do hate white people, Myself included, so...

Insensitive language aside (guilty as charged), I don't know that we've been providing a particularly disparaging criticism. Every pitcher has weaknesses, and I think his is losing focus based on what people who know the guy have said, and the fact that his numbers are consistent with the hypothesis. I don't think we should get rid of him, nor would I be against signing him for the upcoming years. Just because people are pointing out a flaw doesn't mean they want him thrown to the wolves or something. I just think nobody should expect anything great out of him. Perhaps one season circumstances will work out such that he feels really comfortable and puts it all together, but I don't think you will ever see a switch flip on permanently. He is who he is.