Breaking News: Sox acquire Scott Sullivan

Chisoxfn

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hotsoxchick1
As a Chicago sports fan, im pretty god damn tired of waiting for the future. I understand what you are saying, and i could be fine with it if we were the Yanks,or the Braves, but were not, were a franchise that hasnt won the show since any of us have been around.

Im not going to say "f*** the future" cause i dont feel that way, but i do applaude KW for his efforts to try and give this team enough to work around a horse s*** manager.

tony i feel your pain believe me i do.. but if it werent a pipe dream and someone was really tryin to put together something awesome here then we would just drop the whole ball and get guys like bonds et el... to play for us for one season to win it all....... patching up this s*** with a stitch here and some glue there isnt exactly throwing together a contending team........hell we wouldnt even be in any race right now if we were still considered the west division.........good thing our division sucks so badly its the only thing keepin us alive......just some food for thought...... ;)

This is a big move & Selig must have felt what KW was offering was decent value.

The Yanks tried to get him before the deadline but Selig stepped in then.

I like these numbers!

Opposing hitters: .211A, .321O, .341S, .662OPS

vs LH: .213A, .333O, .344S, .678OPS

vs RH: .210A, .315O, .339S, .654OPS

Pre-AS: .224A

Pos-AS: .067A

NL Ranking

24 Sullivan, Scott CIN R 2.97NPERA 6.0$ 49.2IP 3.62ERA 43K 6W 12.68MOB 0SV 22.2 POWER

Ok, that brings me down to Earth a bit, but then ... there's the game log:

Apr 14IP, 6ER

May 13IP, 9ER

Jun 11IP, 4ER

Jul 5IP, 0ER

Aug 5IP, 1ER

Reds August 8: Activated pitcher Scott Sullivan from the 15-day disabled list; placed pitcher Jose Acevedo on the 15-day disabled list with a sprained left ankle.

Reds July 19: Placed outfielder Ken Griffey on the 15-day disabled list with a ruptured tendon in his right ankle; placed pitcher Scott Sullivan on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to July 14, with tendinitis in his right shoulder;

Finally:

Pitching, Defense & HittingSullivan never regained the bite on his 90-plus, sidearm, sinking fastball. Without the sinker, he doesn't have an adequate weapon against righthanded hitters. He still is seeking to gain better command with his cutter. Sullivan often will fall off to the first-base side of the mound and put himself out of position defensively. He made three errors in just 11 total chances last year. He holds runners adequately and rarely hits.

However, if he regains strength in his throwing arm and stays healthy, he is one of baseball's most valuable relievers, as he can eat middle and late innings. His contract runs through this season, with an option for 2004.

EXCELLENT TRADE!

Based on the response in Cincinatti, it sounds like a fantastic pick up. Here's some quotes.

"When I heard what we got for him, I nearly threw up. We've been best friends since 1997, since I've been here. It hurts. I don't know how to think of it right now,'' said Graves, the losing pitcher Thursday night against Arizona.

"I understand you have to get young talent and this and that, but Scott Sullivan came here below market value to remain in Cincinnati because he loved pitching here and he came up through this organization,'' Reds first baseman Sean Casey said.

"It's just a money thing. This one is so frustrating because Sully has led the league and led the world four of the last five years in appearances. They say no guy is irreplaceable, but Scott Sullivan is irreplaceable. The leadership he brought here and the things he brought to this team, for what Scott Sullivan brought, he was cheap. ... It's a sad day here for a lot of guys.''

Based on the response in Cincinatti, it sounds like a fantastic pick up.  Here's some quotes.

"When I heard what we got for him, I nearly threw up. We've been best friends since 1997, since I've been here. It hurts. I don't know how to think of it right now,'' said Graves, the losing pitcher Thursday night against Arizona.

"I understand you have to get young talent and this and that, but Scott Sullivan came here below market value to remain in Cincinnati because he loved pitching here and he came up through this organization,'' Reds first baseman Sean Casey said.

"It's just a money thing. This one is so frustrating because Sully has led the league and led the world four of the last five years in appearances. They say no guy is irreplaceable, but Scott Sullivan is irreplaceable. The leadership he brought here and the things he brought to this team, for what Scott Sullivan brought, he was cheap. ... It's a sad day here for a lot of guys.''

I think Sox fans are gonna fall in love with this guy. I still wonder who we gave up, but no way in hell did they gave up Borchard...I can guarantee that.

I expect someone like Ginter or Adkins to be gone.

I'm no Kenny Williams fan.  But for this season atleast I gotta give the guy some props.  He's gone out there and done everything humanly possible to help this team win.  Starting pitching,  Hitting,  Bullpen help.  U name it he's done it...Give the man some props...

Damn right! .... You have to give KW his due. I, for one, am tired of waiting on the elusive "someday". I've been waiting for 40 years. We needed a quality righty out of the pen to increase our chances of making the playoffs. KW went out and got just that without weakening our current team. No way in hell can I criticize him for this move.

Borchard can't be a PTBNL can he?? I thought there were some rules about these things.  Very complicated from what I remember.

That's a good question...

I thought I heard somewhere that, after the trading deadline (and before the waiver deadline) that the player had to be on the 40-man roster...But I could be wrong.

Borchard can't be a PTBNL can he?? I thought there were some rules about these things.  Very complicated from what I remember.

If your on the 40 man roster, you can't be a player to be named later from what I remember.

Someone can check me on this. That probably also means Adkins/Ginter aren't going anywhere.

Cerb was talking to me earlier and mentioned West or Wylie and those names definately make some sense for both sides.

I know you can't ptbnl a guy who's on the disabled list.

My first thought was Adkins too. I'm sure it's not Borchard. Very happy with the pickup, and if you think about it, Sullivan's addition may lead to Koch not making the 25 man post season roster. I also wouldn't be surprised if they extend Koch's disable list time to carry them past September first, when the roster can expand. I do not think Harris is going down. Jerry's been using him behind Everett, and while Rowand could do a great job of that, then you're out of outfielders.

If your on the 40 man roster, you can't be a player to be named later from what I remember.

Someone can check me on this.  That probably also means Adkins/Ginter aren't going anywhere. 

Cerb was talking to me earlier and mentioned West or Wylie and those names definately make some sense for both sides.

Bobby Hill was on the 40 man roster and was traded to the Pirates as the PTBNL in the Loften trade.

Based on the response in Cincinatti, it sounds like a fantastic pick up.  Here's some quotes.

I think Sox fans are gonna fall in love with this guy. I still wonder who we gave up, but no way in hell did they gave up Borchard...I can guarantee that.

I expect someone like Ginter or Adkins to be gone.

I have a feeling the player could be Koch. He is on the DL and can finish the season and if he pitches as he could be worth the money. The thing is, I think there has to be something wrong but with the whole scenario but what if it is KW circumventing the rules of the DL thus allowing us to have Koch for the remainder of the year, get help for a pennant run and then drop a player on the active roster after the season. We also got cash in deal. This is bizzaro world KW compared to last season.

My guess is we give up at least three out of Pacheco, West, Wylie, Wing, An, Bullard, and whoever else they asked Kenny to throw in there. How can you say this is a good trade if we don't know what we gave up? In the past Kenny would get out-negotiated by GM's; now he can get out-negotiated by an "acting" GM. If you were Cincy, why would you NOT ask for Pacheco? In fact, I bet they even asked for Reed. Why not ask for him? Kenny never says "no." He should have been a woman. I can just see it. Pacheco and Reed with another pitcher or two thrown in because Cincy wanted them.

Is Sullivan better than Schoen? Yes. Therefore, Kenny probably gave up a lot more than he gave for Schoen.

If it is true that you cannot be on the 40 man roster to be a PTBL, then I have no guesses. If that is not true, than I guess Konerko or Daubach. As much as I am a big fan of Konerko (completely not pleased with this years performance, don't get me wrong), I think I'd rather keep Daubach if he is willing to stay.

Someone can check me on this.  That probably also means Adkins/Ginter aren't going anywhere. 

Bobby Hill was on the 40 man roster and was traded to the Pirates as the PTBNL in the Loften trade.

Yeah but that was before the trading deadline....this deal was made after the trading deadline......

This whole s*** confuses me, I don't know what the hell is going on other than we got a great pitcher for our pen.

YESSSSS!!!

:headbang

CWSOX45

My guess is we give up at least three out of Pacheco, West, Wylie, Wing, An, Bullard, and whoever else they asked Kenny to throw in there.  How can you say this is a good trade if we don't know what we gave up?  In the past Kenny would get out-negotiated by GM's; now he can get out-negotiated by an "acting" GM.  If you were Cincy, why would you NOT ask for Pacheco?  In fact, I bet they even asked for Reed.  Why not ask for him?  Kenny never says "no."  He should have been a woman.  I can just see it.  Pacheco and Reed with another pitcher or two thrown in because Cincy wanted them.

Is Sullivan better than Schoen?  Yes.  Therefore, Kenny probably gave up a lot more than he gave for Schoen.

Sullivan is essentially a free agent at the end of the season. Although I think KW gets outmaneaved in some instances the only trade that has cost us is the Ritchie trade. We have Pachero because Colorado gave up on him and we got him for absolutely nothing, same thing for Damaso Marte. I love how many people on this site think we should be picking up players for nothing. The Giants gave up Ortiz and Livan Hernandez and although they running away with the NL West, these were very questionable moves. I remember reading that giving up Joe Valentine would be the end all for the White Sox, well Joe Valentine is now with the Reds and was a throw in for Jose Guillen. Somehow Neil Cotts was a nothing in the deal and now he is in our rotation and if he was traded this whole site would be up in arms. I think Alomar was a steal even if Royce Ring becomes the next Gramhe Lloyd. everyone wants us to get Bonds and A-Rod and what not but we are not suppossed to give up any minor leaguer that has any ability at all. Other than Kip Wells, whom I never really liked, KW has not cost us anything and somehow has a rotation and lineup that thas made me interested. In 2000 I did not think we had a chance becasue our starting pitching was pathetic. This year I am not sure what is going to happen but I like the team we put out there everyday. After this season teh A's will have none of the players from the Foulke trade, we will have all three, two of them on teh major league roster. Sounds like a good trade to me.