Opening Day thread

Buehrle>Wood

God is good.

Base hit for AJP in his Texas debut. It will be hard to get used to Minute Maid Park as an AL ballpark. I thought either Colorado or Arizona would have been a better choice.

Moving Houston only affected two divisions. Moving Colorado or Arizona would have affected three.

So?

So I think it makes sense to upset as few divisions/rivalries as possible. Moving a team from the 6-team NL Central to the 4-team AL West is the least disruptive move, and the Astros are the team from the NL Central that geographically fits best in the AL West.

It's probably something they thought about a while ago and decided to do it while Houston was in an ownership transition.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 1, 2013 -> 09:50 AM)
So I think it makes sense to upset as few divisions/rivalries as possible. Moving a team from the 6-team NL Central to the 4-team AL West is the least disruptive move, and the Astros are the team from the NL Central that geographically fits best in the AL West.

It's probably something they thought about a while ago and decided to do it while Houston was in an ownership transition.

Or, as the conspiracy theory goes, Selig and MLB cut the new ownership group a bit of a deal to get them to move to the AL.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 1, 2013 -> 10:58 AM)
I don't think it's really a conspiracy theory to say that MLB used the leverage they had in the ownership transition process to get the Astros to agree to the move. It seemed pretty obvious.

I thought that was out in the open as well.

My conspiracy theory is that the Astros move is a test case for radical realignment. You watch, ten years from now, the Sox and Cubs will be playing 19 games a year.

That's not really a conspiracy theory either. Bud has said that it's something that could happen "down the road". I think they're just waiting for some old school NL owners to sell/die because once the NL has enough votes to adopt the DH, the leagues will vanish and you will have entirely geographic divisions.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 1, 2013 -> 11:29 AM)
I can't believe that in 2013, Placido Polanco is batting 4th for a team on opening day. Also, the Yankees lineup is awful.

That Marlins lineup is one of the worst I have seen in my life. The only player I can say is a legitimate threat is Stanton.