FutureSox Season Previews

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 05:10 PM)
Absolutely disgusting how old most of the guys on our A ball teams are. Seems like we'll have a lot more age appropriate players at AA & AAA than A to start the season.

It does seem odd to me, some of the older guys not being pushed. Shoemaker in W-S? Haddow? Smith? I personally think all three have talent, and have a shot at being something of value maybe. But with guys like that, fringey prospects too old for level, I really believe you need to push them up and see what happens.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 09:06 PM)
It does seem odd to me, some of the older guys not being pushed. Shoemaker in W-S? Haddow? Smith? I personally think all three have talent, and have a shot at being something of value maybe. But with guys like that, fringey prospects too old for level, I really believe you need to push them up and see what happens.

Yeah, it seems like a lot of the older, less toolsy players aren't being pushed fast enough. Why not be aggressive with these guys and see what if one of them can rise to the challenge? I know most of these guys are simply organizational filler, but sometimes a guy can play above his physical abilities and become a quality baseball player. Unfortunately, you're not going to find out anything about a player if you keep him in rookie ball or low A until he's 25.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 09:06 PM)

You need to get over the Shoemaker thing. He's on the DL. Maybe they just want to give him a few weeks to get back in the swing of things at Winston-Salem and then move him up. Maybe he never plays for Winston-Salem at all.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 10:32 PM)
You need to get over the Shoemaker thing. He's on the DL. Maybe they just want to give him a few weeks to get back in the swing of things at Winston-Salem and then move him up. Maybe he never plays for Winston-Salem at all.

I only use Shoemaker as an illustration. There are a few other players in similar (not identical) veins, as discussed above. And I do think it is a worthwhile discussion to have - how the Sox handle the fringe guys who perform well.

If he was going to be in B-Ham, I'd think he'd be on their DL - but maybe there is some reasoning there, you certainly could be right. Maybe intended for a short stint there to get acclimated like you said.