Maggie Thatcher

Joxer_Daly

Amazing to see the reaction to this. Street parties from London to Glasgow, to Belfast and Derry, and many in-between I'm sure, as well as a session here in Dublin. Social media has been colourful, to say the least.

I'm taking a more sombre approach to things, as mentioned above, but the reaction says a lot about the hurt that her legacy has left.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 01:59 AM)
I'm blissfully oblivious. I know she was rather conservative, but all in all she has a fairly good rep in the USA

Ah, maybe I shouldn't have brought it on here. I don't want to go forcing the topic on anyone.

I'm just about to head to bed, so I'll keep it short. Suffice to say, there's many of my own countrymen and women that wouldn't have seen an early grave or the inside of a prison cell, if it hadn't been for her. Likewise, there's many of her own countryfolk that would have suffered a lot less too, had it not been for her. That, plus her support of Pinochet in Chile, her condemnation of Nelson Mandela and opposition to sanctions being put in place against apartheid South Africa, and her support for several other unsavoury regimes. Her disdain and callousness towards anyone but her own clique of wealthy supporters was repulsive.

As I say, I'll leave it at that.

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Apr 8, 2013 -> 08:27 PM)
Ah, maybe I shouldn't have brought it on here. I don't want to go forcing the topic on anyone.

I'm just about to head to bed, so I'll keep it short. Suffice to say, there's many of my own countrymen and women that wouldn't have seen an early grave or the inside of a prison cell, if it hadn't been for her. Likewise, there's many of her own countryfolk that would have suffered a lot less too, had it not been for her. That, plus her support of Pinochet in Chile, her condemnation of Nelson Mandela and opposition to sanctions being put in place against apartheid South Africa, and her support for several other unsavoury regimes. Her disdain and callousness towards anyone but her own clique of wealthy supporters was repulsive.

As I say, I'll leave it at that.

Interesting stuff. I didn't mean to say that you'd be likely to piss off people in this forum with your opinion, in my experience Americans don't tend to give a s*** about British heads of state (except Winston Churchill, I often hear that Americans like him more than Brits do). Too bad that folks can let that kind of injustice go.

Well I hope I don't die too soon

I pray the lord my soul to save

Oh I'll be a good boy, I'm trying so hard to behave

Because there's one thing I know, I'd like to live

Long enough to savor

That's when they finally put you in the ground

I'll stand on your grave and tramp the dirt down

Mr. Costello about sums up my feelings toward Margaret Thatcher.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 06:01 AM)
oh wow an Irish person getting drunk. that really is a rare circumstance.

That's not what I said, actually. But don't let that get in the way of whatever point you're trying to make with that comment.

I like that British politics doesn't have this fake deference that we do here. When Reagan died there was this bizarre frozen silence and nobody would dare speak ill of him for some designated amount of time (Reagan has an entire cottage industry dedicated to pumping up his legacy, but that's another topic). In London people just openly cheer it.

They won't criticize Thatcher here, either, they just say "she was a controversial figure" and leave it at that.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 02:02 PM)
I like that British politics doesn't have this fake deference that we do here. When Reagan died there was this bizarre frozen silence and nobody would dare speak ill of him for some designated amount of time (Reagan has an entire cottage industry dedicated to pumping up his legacy, but that's another topic). In London people just openly cheer it.

They won't criticize Thatcher here, either, they just say "she was a controversial figure" and leave it at that.

Reagan is without a doubt way less controversial and way more popular than Thatcher was. Especially now, you have a democratic president who praises him, and so the youth don't realize the divisions that were occuring in the 80s at home.

On the other hand, I really couldn't stand having to act like we needed to respect Jesse Helms when he died.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 11:06 AM)
Reagan is without a doubt way less controversial and way more popular than Thatcher was. Especially now, you have a democratic president who praises him, and so the youth don't realize the divisions that were occuring in the 80s at home.

On the other hand, I really couldn't stand having to act like we needed to respect Jesse Helms when he died.

Yeah, my point is, they don't do that in the UK. If they thought you were a s***bag when you lived they'll call you a s***bag when you're dead. Here, if you do that (even if it's someone who wasn't shy about doing the same thing to others when they lived, and it's clear they wouldn't have cared) everyone will wag their finger at you and you have this awkward waiting period.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 04:09 PM)
Yeah, my point is, they don't do that in the UK. If they thought you were a s***bag when you lived they'll call you a s***bag when you're dead. Here, if you do that (even if it's someone who wasn't shy about doing the same thing to others when they lived, and it's clear they wouldn't have cared) everyone will wag their finger at you and you have this awkward waiting period.

In fairness, it hasn't all been street parties over there (nor here, in fact). Her cronies and successors are pushing out an agenda that is probably much more reflective of the type you're talking about - afterall, control of the media was a key element to their power. And, there are those that are just rowing in with the official line. Thankfully, there have been some journalists and politicians with the stones to speak up. And the reaction in social media has been remarkable.

For example, earlier today I heard that Judy Garland's 'Ding Dong The Witch is Dead' was at #11 on itunes downloads and there was speculation that it might break into the Top 40 Charts. :lol:

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 10:09 AM)

Didn't you threaten to ban people for bashing Ted Kennedy after he died? Oh wait, I think that was Balta who did that. Nevermind.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 04:24 PM)
there's a difference between gloating over someone's death and the idea that there should be no criticism and that the hagiography should be allowed to paint the highly controversial person as a saint.

7da.gif