Asking her Father/Popping the Question

Chi Town Sox

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Apr 8, 2013 -> 02:49 PM)
How did you all break the news to her father that you want to marry his daughter? Golf? Dinner? Bar? What seems like it should be so easy, is actually very nerve-wrecking!

Hah....I have to do this as well in the next few months most likely...I think I am just going to go over to his house and tell him I plan to ask his daughter to marry me, and I would appreciate it if he would give me his blessing first...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 8, 2013 -> 04:51 PM)
Hah....I have to do this as well in the next few months most likely...I think I am just going to go over to his house and tell him I plan to ask his daughter to marry me, and I would appreciate it if he would give me his blessing first...

So I find this all very old-school, is it still common place to do this?

I know it's a way to show respect to the father in law, but I just thought this was out-dated.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 8, 2013 -> 04:53 PM)

I know it's a way to show respect to the father in law, but I just thought this was out-dated.

Outdated or not, I personally believe it's something that needs to be done. It's sort of nice to find out if your father in law will be in your corner in the future or not. Some fathers might not be too peculiar about this but it's better safe than sorry.

As for OP, you should do whatever makes you comfortable as far as the venue goes. Dinner at his favorite resturant sounds good.

Edited by pettie4sox

If/when I pop the question to the lady that I plan to do so to, I probably won't ask the father. He is a pretty non-traditional guy, isn't a big fan of marriage, isn't religious, and I don't think he'd care either way. If my girl's dad was more traditional, I wouldn't have a problem schmoozing.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 8, 2013 -> 09:53 PM)

While I find history of literally needing permission outdated and disgusting, I think going over to parents before a proposal to let them know you are going to marry their daughter to be very worthwhile. It will probably be one of few times you will be alone with their parents and I think is a great start to what will be a crazy time.

I just went over to their house and did it. But my friends have taken them to a restaurant and such. I don't see the need to beat around the bush but to each his own.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 8, 2013 -> 05:45 PM)
Must be something younger couples do as this never even crossed my mind when I proposed. My wife was independent and living on her own for 15 years or so when I asked her to marry me.

We are both independent and living on our own as well, it's been something that I've known was somewhat traditional since I was young.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Apr 8, 2013 -> 10:49 PM)
How did you all break the news to her father that you want to marry his daughter? Golf? Dinner? Bar? What seems like it should be so easy, is actually very nerve-wrecking!

I wouldn't stress it too much, whatever you do. I didn't actually ask mine, but he was on the other side of Europe, so it was no big deal. It would never have ocurred to me to do so, to be honest. But, having seen how my Da appreciated my brother in law doing it, I'd definitely say it's a nice thing to do. But don't go mental. Just do something you'd normally do - would you go for a pint together, at all, from time to time?

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 12:45 AM)
Gotta call him this weekend. :-/

He's not really in her life, but I'm doing it to keep the peace.

I've already proposed, so now it's just in repair mode at this point because he got his dander up.

Bring a golf club, just in case. ;)

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Apr 8, 2013 -> 07:06 PM)
I wouldn't stress it too much, whatever you do. I didn't actually ask mine, but he was on the other side of Europe, so it was no big deal. It would never have ocurred to me to do so, to be honest. But, having seen how my Da appreciated my brother in law doing it, I'd definitely say it's a nice thing to do. But don't go mental. Just do something you'd normally do - would you go for a pint together, at all, from time to time?

Goin to dinner with him, it won't be a big deal, just throwing the question out there!

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 8, 2013 -> 05:09 PM)
While I find history of literally needing permission outdated and disgusting, I think going over to parents before a proposal to let them know you are going to marry their daughter to be very worthwhile. It will probably be one of few times you will be alone with their parents and I think is a great start to what will be a crazy time.

Pretty Much the same thoughts.

Although it led to a funny situation on Christmas morning when my then-fiancée assumed her dad couldn't keep her mouth shut and walked up to her mom saying "well,i guess you know about this."