Beckham out 6-8 weeks with fractured hamate bone

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 09:36 AM)
Are the Giants really so good and deep (especially considering Sandoval's history) that they can afford to trade someone with the ability to be an everyday player at 3B for someone who, at best, is 2-3 years away and profiles only as a reliever in Soptic?

Well, they believe so.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the Giants really so good and deep (especially considering Sandoval's history) that they can afford to trade someone with the ability to be an everyday player at 3B for someone who, at best, is 2-3 years away and profiles only as a reliever in Soptic?

Teams sometimes fail to see the potential of players and end up trading them away. The Sox have done that enough times, right? Plus, the Sox have acquired players like that in the past. No one knows if Gillaspie will be a guy who can hit .280 with 10 HRs and 65 RBIs over a complete season. But, there's no doubt that this guy is showing the POTENTIAL to be an everyday player. Only time will tell, and this is the time for him with Beckham going down.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 09:51 AM)
Teams sometimes fail to see the potential of players and end up trading them away. The Sox have done that enough times, right? Plus, the Sox have acquired players like that in the past. No one knows if Gillaspie will be a guy who can hit .280 with 10 HRs and 65 RBIs over a complete season. But, there's no doubt that this guy is showing the POTENTIAL to be an everyday player. Only time will tell, and this is the time for him with Beckham going down.

And they are looking at making sure they have more pitchers coming in the pipeline, especially in that park.

Historically, the Giants' biggest problem has been offense.

I guess they simply gambled that Soptic had the ability to be a potential closer/replacement for Wilson/Romo in the pipeline...and that Gillaspie had limited power/potential, at least not enough to play corner IF everyday.

Time will tell.

Other teams have underestimated players like Quintana, Jenks and Santos before. It's nothing new with the White Sox.

Maybe it's simply the fact that 3B has seemingly been jinxed for the Sox ever since Crede and Uribe left.

Teahen, Viciedo couldn't stick there, Vizquel wasn't meant to be an everyday player, Morel's 2012, Hudson, Youk, etc.

Now it looks like Keppinger won't even end up playing that position...depending on what happens with Beckham and Gillaspie/Morel.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 11, 2013 -> 04:39 PM)
I hate this as this had to be the year for Beckham to show he can hit enough to earn an extension from the White Sox. Really awful timing for him and the organization.

Eh, he already had 4 years.

He was out of options and maybe the Giants didn't have room for him on their bench.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 10:32 AM)
Historically, the Giants' biggest problem has been offense.

I guess they simply gambled that Soptic had the ability to be a potential closer/replacement for Wilson/Romo in the pipeline...and that Gillaspie had limited power/potential, at least not enough to play corner IF everyday.

Time will tell.

Other teams have underestimated players like Quintana, Jenks and Santos before. It's nothing new with the White Sox.

Maybe it's simply the fact that 3B has seemingly been jinxed for the Sox ever since Crede and Uribe left.

Teahen, Viciedo couldn't stick there, Vizquel wasn't meant to be an everyday player, Morel's 2012, Hudson, Youk, etc.

Now it looks like Keppinger won't even end up playing that position...depending on what happens with Beckham and Gillaspie/Morel.

Of course the best possible outcome, as things sit now, is that Gillaspie takes over at third and Keppinger takes over at 2nd and they both play decent. We'll see what happens when Beckham comes back. As far as I'm concerned, I want the guys playing now to perform. If that results in Beckham losing his spot, so be it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 02:55 PM)
Damn... Wasn't in my top three, but probably a big statement to Donnie Veal to start throwing some strikes against lefties.

Are you mistaking him for Charlie Leesman? Heath is a righty so I'm not sure how this affects Veal.

Also, my guess is Heath won't be up very long. I bet they called him up in case they need a multi-inning reliever in the next few days and if/when they use him he'll get sent down and Omogrosso will be called up the next day. There's way Heath jumped Omogrosso on the depth chart already.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 06:31 AM)
I think this is Gillaspie's big shot here. He's looked pretty good so far. If he gets the majority of the time when Beckham's out and continues to hit well, a tough decision will have to be made when Beckham comes back.

Beckham getting "wally pipped" ;)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 02:47 PM)
Chicago White Sox ‏@whitesox 36m

.@gordonbeckham says he is feeling good but isn't doing anything baseball-related yet. He currently is not feeling any pain in his wrist.

He's also saying he wants to try to be back in 4 weeks but added he doesn't know anything.