Beckham out 6-8 weeks with fractured hamate bone

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 1, 2013 -> 12:22 AM)
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 1h

Beckham hopes to take flips next week in New York after getting his stitches out today.

Tell him not to take flips! I want him back and if he breaks his hip or something we are really screwed

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell him not to take flips! I want him back and if he breaks his hip or something we are really screwed

Beckham sucks.

Who cares if he's back? Doesn't help the team at all.

:huh

Not sure why people even care - he's simply not very good at baseball.

QUOTE (Andrew @ May 2, 2013 -> 12:37 AM)
Beckham sucks.

Have you watched Greene and especially Keppinger playing 2B every game since he's been gone?

Beckham sucks.

Have you watched Greene and especially Keppinger playing 2B every game since he's been gone?

Beckham sucks.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 2, 2013 -> 06:52 AM)
I would think Gillaspie/Keppinger becomes a 3B platoon

If Connor and Keppinger keep up what they have been doing, I think Kepp becomes a super-utility guy. You can't leave Gordo's glove out. We have seen what the drop off looks like at 2B. We also can't leave Gillaspie's bat out.

If Connor and Keppinger keep up what they have been doing, I think Kepp becomes a super-utility guy. You can't leave Gordo's glove out. We have seen what the drop off looks like at 2B. We also can't leave Gillaspie's bat out.

I know it's a small sample size, but Gillaspie has a 1.040 OPS vs RHP and a .334 OPS vs LHP. You can certainly leave his bat out vs LHP.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 2, 2013 -> 07:18 AM)
I know it's a small sample size, but Gillaspie has a 1.040 OPS vs RHP and a .334 OPS vs LHP. You can certainly leave his bat out vs LHP.

The good news is that Gillaspie should be cheap the next two years, so even if Keppinger is overpaid, your net cost for a platoon at 3B should be reasonable.

We really need Keppinger to get it going though. His K % is nearly double his career average, he's yet to draw a single walk, and he's shown zero pop so far (not that I was expected much). I wonder if Keppinger is having any lingering effects from that offseason injury, because the contact issues are so out of character for him.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 2, 2013 -> 10:20 AM)
The good news is that Gillaspie should be cheap the next two years, so even if Keppinger is overpaid, your net cost for a platoon at 3B should be reasonable.

We really need Keppinger to get it going though. His K % is nearly double his career average, he's yet to draw a single walk, and he's shown zero pop so far (not that I was expected much). I wonder if Keppinger is having any lingering effects from that offseason injury, because the contact issues are so out of character for him.

Take a look at his BABIP. That'll turn "normal" at some point this season if he keeps getting AB's.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ May 2, 2013 -> 10:40 AM)
1.) If Keppinger is benched against righties, who bats second? Alexei or Beckham?

2.) Do we go to four on the bench?

3.) Which OF sticks with the team on the bench? Wells, Wise or Danks?

1. Gillaspie

2. Yes, 3 on the bench is a difficult situation to sustain for more than short bursts. People need rest.

3. Wise unless he's too banged up to go. Wise, Giminez, Sanchez/other OF, Gillaspie/Kep isn't a bad bench.

QUOTE (Andrew @ May 2, 2013 -> 01:37 AM)
Beckham sucks.

He's an incredibly talented baseball player who made it to the Majors one year after being drafted to play the game professionally. He is a very slick fielder and, if he can show anyting with the bat upon returning, can be a very valuable player.

Shameless self promotion (Balta approved!):

Just got a freelance gig as a White Sox beat writer at Yahoo! Sports, and my first article takes on the "what to do when Gordon returns" topic. Click if you dare...Lineup Decisions Lie Ahead for Ventura, White Sox

I'm happy to take feedback too -- I'm dealing with an audience that will be less immersed in the argument than we are at ST, so I realize that some of the background info will seem painfully obvious.

Summary if you don't like reading:

-there's still about a month for them to make the decisions easier

-Gordon probably gets the 2B spot back, at least at first, and deservedly so

-if everyone hits, there will be/should be a platoon at 3B with Keppinger giving guys a rest as super-utility player

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 2, 2013 -> 08:48 AM)
He's an incredibly talented baseball player who made it to the Majors one year after being drafted to play the game professionally. He is a very slick fielder and, if he can show anyting with the bat upon returning, can be a very valuable player.

this.

even with how bad he's been hitting, he's still out-earned his salary every year based on his defense alone.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 3, 2013 -> 06:53 PM)
this.

even with how bad he's been hitting, he's still out-earned his salary every year based on his defense alone.

And if you didn't appreciate his defense before, watching a couple of weeks of Keppinger and Greene at 2B should have convinced you.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 10, 2013 -> 04:57 PM)
Chicago White Sox ‏@whitesox 34m

.@gordonbeckham said he hopes to (tentatively) begin rehab assignment in 10 days and rejoin the #WhiteSox in two weeks.

That Miami series would be good for him to come back. Then he gets to face the Cubs for fours day, which he has good history.

Keppinger's got two weeks to earn some playing time.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 10, 2013 -> 09:57 PM)
Chicago White Sox ‏@whitesox 34m

.@gordonbeckham said he hopes to (tentatively) begin rehab assignment in 10 days and rejoin the #WhiteSox in two weeks.

I am a Gordon Beckham fan. Defensively he is top notch and he is working hard to improve his offense. I look forward to his return

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ May 12, 2013 -> 09:21 AM)
Funny to see how many people now are BEGGING for Gordo's return.

A sign of how bad things are. If nothing else, I hope he avoids the error epidemic. But it's ridiculous to think he's suddenly going to come back and start hitting like he never has with any consistency.