Beckham out 6-8 weeks with fractured hamate bone

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 11, 2013 -> 04:05 PM)
Keon Barnum had his right hamate bone removed earlier this year. Here was ptatc's analysis regarding that

Beckham's sounds different. It's doesn't sound like it displaced like Barnum's. If it took this long to diagnose it was probably a hairline type fracture. They won't do surgery and are probably just going to cast or splint it. The standard healing time for a fracture is 6-8 weeks. He will need some time to make sure he has full range of motion then go to a rehab assignment

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Apr 11, 2013 -> 04:47 PM)
Defensive runs saved by all AL 2B with at least 2000 innings, since 2009

gord_zps3da8b195.jpg

Just one slice of the pie, but noteworthy

I think he's a good defender, but that looks like ranked 9th out of all the AL defenders playing full time since 09. That's really not saying much.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Apr 11, 2013 -> 04:47 PM)
Defensive runs saved by all AL 2B with at least 2000 innings, since 2009

gord_zps3da8b195.jpg

Just one slice of the pie, but noteworthy

Gordon's got a career UZR of + 4.1 at 2B. Not great, but I truly believe he's gotten better in the past two years. If you look at the fan scouting reports, they had him very high last season at +10.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 11, 2013 -> 02:03 PM)
50/50 chance this effectively ends his career with the Sox. He'd have to come back raking now, no time at all to struggle.

This was my very first thought too. Pretty much will wrap his career on the Sox up I think.

This is a kid that struggles so much at the slightest thing. It will take a miracle for him to overcome this injury and not have it affect his swing or mental state in general. Makes the decision a lot easier in the off-season though for the Sox.

If Kepp wasn't hitting like crap, it would make this so much easier, cause I really like Gillaspie and think he can hold down third with the glove and the stick.

QUOTE (IowanSoxFan @ Apr 11, 2013 -> 05:42 PM)
Chances that Sanchez gets called up?

Very low, in my opinion.

I think Omogrosso comes up for the Cleveland series and possibly the first part of the Toronto series, and then they may switch things up.

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Apr 11, 2013 -> 04:34 PM)
it might make sense to bring up an extra reliever. with no off days for awhile, you run the risk of burning out your bullpen. Plus, they have sanchez as backup IF.

That's really the only option I think, a pitcher. I wouldn't be surprised if they bring up a starter though since Veal is struggling and the rotation has been hit, so that spells work for the lefty Santiago regardless. Whoever comes up should be able to go 3 IP IMO. Omogrosso probably has the leg up.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 11, 2013 -> 04:16 PM)
I'd say no Sanchez. This is Gillaspie's big shot.

I agree maybe, just maybe he can be what Morel was supposed to be, 280/340/420 with 12-15HR with solid defense. I for one say give him his chance, in 7 games down at AAA Sanchez hasn't done anything to force the sox hand and Conor is still relatively young, sox might have something here.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 06:31 AM)
I think this is Gillaspie's big shot here. He's looked pretty good so far. If he gets the majority of the time when Beckham's out and continues to hit well, a tough decision will have to be made when Beckham comes back.

Great point. This is this kids big chance. He was buried in San Fran, and now is getting a shot.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 06:31 AM)
I think this is Gillaspie's big shot here. He's looked pretty good so far. If he gets the majority of the time when Beckham's out and continues to hit well, a tough decision will have to be made when Beckham comes back.

I bet when they traded for him, they may have had this move in mind, with Keppinger able to play 2nd, while Gillaspie playing 3rd. Obviously, they were thinking Beckham might struggle, not get injured.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 08:22 AM)
You're under the assumption BOTH Keppinger and Gillaspie will be 750-800 OPS hitters for 2 months against all pitching in everyday play.

I'll believe that when I see it.

Who is under that assumption?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 08:22 AM)
You're under the assumption BOTH Keppinger and Gillaspie will be 750-800 OPS hitters for 2 months against all pitching in everyday play.

I'll believe that when I see it.

I'm not sure anyone is assuming that. However, Gillaspie has shown through spring training and now with some at-bats in the regular season that he may be a starter caliber player. Keppinger's history shows that at a minimum he can put the ball in play. If not much changes with these two guys, I like Keppinger and Gillaspie in the lineup over Beckham and Keppinger/Gillaspie.