4/11 Games

flavum

LOL flavum is not impressed. I found it hard to get fired up last year, but this year isn't getting the juices going either. I've been pleased with the recent drafts, but it's definitely taking time for the system to repopulate.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 11, 2013 -> 09:12 PM)
LOL flavum is not impressed. I found it hard to get fired up last year, but this year isn't getting the juices going either. I've been pleased with the recent drafts, but it's definitely taking time for the system to repopulate.

For some reason, it feels like our system is worse this year.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 02:18 AM)
For some reason, it feels like our system is worse this year.

Cause last year, someone like Molina was thought of as having a lot of potential and excuses were made for his awful performance throughout the season. This year, there aren't any new pitchers in the system that cause people to get excited to follow them. I can't recall the last organization I've seen that has worse infield prospects than the Sox. It would be nice if Phegley can keep performing well, as the Sox could definitely be looking at a situation where they go into next season needing a catcher or two at the MLB level.

And that's with Carlos Sanchez coming pretty much out of nowhere to become one of our top overall prospects.

After that, you have what, DiMichelle? And no 3B prospects to speak of at all, if Ravelo's moving over to 1B.

Once again, the DR issues raises its ugly head...pointing out the overall lack of athleticism/talent and dynamic game-changing players in the system, other than Hawkins and POSSIBLY Thompson.

Hopefully Barnum can get over that injury bug, because we're in DIRE need of some impact bats in that line-up to replace Rios/Dunn/Konerko.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 11, 2013 -> 08:25 PM)
Cause last year, someone like Molina was thought of as having a lot of potential and excuses were made for his awful performance throughout the season. This year, there aren't any new pitchers in the system that cause people to get excited to follow them. I can't recall the last organization I've seen that has worse infield prospects than the Sox. It would be nice if Phegley can keep performing well, as the Sox could definitely be looking at a situation where they go into next season needing a catcher or two at the MLB level.

Dylan Axelrod has the upside of Zach Stewart, lol.

Even if he gets lit up, I'd rather see what we have in Simon Castro (if anything).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 02:50 AM)
And that's with Carlos Sanchez coming pretty much out of nowhere to become one of our top overall prospects.

After that, you have what, DiMichelle? And no 3B prospects to speak of at all, if Ravelo's moving over to 1B.

Once again, the DR issues raises its ugly head...pointing out the overall lack of athleticism/talent and dynamic game-changing players in the system, other than Hawkins and POSSIBLY Thompson.

Hopefully Barnum can get over that injury bug, because we're in DIRE need of some impact bats in that line-up to replace Rios/Dunn/Konerko.

To be honest, I'm ashamed to admit I totally forgot about Sanchez. Makes me feel better that at least there's one potential infield starter in the organization right now (Barnum's still so far away to tell anything).

I've been keeping an eye on Micah Johnson down in Kanny. 22 years old, a bit old for the league, but off to a good start so far. Based on the sample size this year and last year, he looks like he can get a base and also has above average to plus speed. Anyone has a scouting report on his defense? If he gets promoted to Winston Salem later this year, he's definitely worth following.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Apr 11, 2013 -> 11:41 PM)
I've been keeping an eye on Micah Johnson down in Kanny. 22 years old, a bit old for the league, but off to a good start so far. Based on the sample size this year and last year, he looks like he can get a base and also has above average to plus speed. Anyone has a scouting report on his defense? If he gets promoted to Winston Salem later this year, he's definitely worth following.

I've read comps to Shelby, Jr., Willie Harris, Danny Richar...we'll see.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 03:16 AM)
Phegley with another HR today, now 3 on the season, batting over .300, finally healthy

Could we have something there?

I'd wager not. Still a quite small sample, and reports aren't kind regarding his catching skills.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 11, 2013 -> 10:07 PM)
To be honest, I'm ashamed to admit I totally forgot about Sanchez. Makes me feel better that at least there's one potential infield starter in the organization right now (Barnum's still so far away to tell anything).

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 12:41 AM)

He's worth watching, but at least a couple years away even if everything goes well.

Below Sanchez, I'd focus more on Semien, DeMichele and Saladino, in that order. All three have starter potential at this point, so hopefully one of them actually ends up being capable of it when they get to the top of the system. All are at least a year away, probably 2-3 years. But they are definitely closer than Micah Johnson.

Also should note, FutureSox had a guy on the ground in Lakewood for the Kanny series... said a few things about Micah. For one thing, in addition to being fast, he appeared to be an aggresive but also smart baserunner, seemed already pretty polished on the bases. Defensively, showed some good range on a couple plays... but, sample size.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 01:07 PM)
Below Sanchez, I'd focus more on Semien, DeMichele and Saladino, in that order. All three have starter potential at this point, so hopefully one of them actually ends up being capable of it when they get to the top of the system.

Not sure I see Semien and Saladino as having starter potential at this point. More likely utility guys if they make it.