4/11 Games

flavum

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 01:47 PM)
Not sure I see Semien and Saladino as having starter potential at this point. More likely utility guys if they make it.

Depends what you mean by potential. It is all a percentages game. Sanchez might have a 50% chance of being a starter, whereas Semien or Saladino might be 20% or less, maybe 10%. I still consider that a high enough number to consider it "potential". DeMichele I'd say has a similar potential to start as those other two, but a much higher percentage chance to make the majors at all - just my view.

I also freely admit though, I am higher on Semien than many others. I think his bat will continue to play, others don't.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 01:56 PM)
Depends what you mean by potential. It is all a percentages game. Sanchez might have a 50% chance of being a starter, whereas Semien or Saladino might be 20% or less, maybe 10%. I still consider that a high enough number to consider it "potential". DeMichele I'd say has a similar potential to start as those other two, but a much higher percentage chance to make the majors at all - just my view.

I also freely admit though, I am higher on Semien than many others. I think his bat will continue to play, others don't.

DeMichele seems to fall into the Keppinger category. Higher chance of making it, with not a big ceiling to speak of.

Okay, just for argument, compare Courtney Hawkins to all the white players he's SO similar to...

Remember, they also should be able to do back-flips or the comp is not valid.

Probably the reason those names were mentioned is because they ended up as utility guys or non-starters at the big league level or just never made it, as was the case with Shelby, who a lot of minor league followers liked because of his perceived versatility.

If you compare African-American players to all white players, everyone will say you're being ridiculous or too PC.

I thought we already had this same exact argument last year, did we not?

How many times do Hispanic middle infielders get compared to white players? How many times do white NBA basketball players get compared to Larry Bird, John Stockton, Steve Nash, etc.?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 04:35 PM)
Okay, just for argument, compare Courtney Hawkins to all the white players he's SO similar to...

Remember, they also should be able to do back-flips or the comp is not valid.

Probably the reason those names were mentioned is because they ended up as utility guys or non-starters at the big league level or just never made it, as was the case with Shelby, who a lot of minor league followers liked because of his perceived versatility.

If you compare African-American players to all white players, everyone will say you're being ridiculous or too PC.

I thought we already had this same exact argument last year, did we not?

How many times do Hispanic middle infielders get compared to white players? How many times do white NBA basketball players get compared to Larry Bird, John Stockton, Steve Nash, etc.?

But the three comps you used were all incredibly different types of players with different types of tools.

It would basically be like comparing an OF prospect to all three of Hawkins, Walker, & Short. Would that make any sense?

I vaguely remember having this same race/comparison debate last season lol.

Semien and DeMichele are worth following, in our system. We just don't have a lot going for us even this year in our farm.

Another guy I am looking at is Jason Coats down in Kanny, he would have went in early rounds had not for the injuries. If he starts to put up big numbers down in Kanny, it's something we can really get excited for.