Konerko / Dunn

justBLAZE

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The flip flop sounds good but it also stacks 3 righties in a row. Not sure if that's a good thing or not. Kepp and De Aza have to do a better job getting on base because Rios is hot right now.

What about if we did...

1 De Aza

2 Kepp

3 Gilespie

4 Rios

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 10:21 AM)
The flip flop sounds good but it also stacks 3 righties in a row. Not sure if that's a good thing or not. Kepp and De Aza have to do a better job getting on base because Rios is hot right now.

What about if we did...

1 De Aza

2 Kepp

3 Gilespie

4 Rios

Then either Dunn or Konerko is hitting 6th. That's too low for either one of them.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 10:21 AM)

What about if we did...

1 De Aza

2 Kepp

3 Gilespie

4 Rios

Wow, Gillaspie should not be batting third under any circumstances. I get that's he been hitting well, but there's a reason we got him for a minor league relief prospect a week before the season. Keep him in the 7 hole to break up some of the low contact, right-handed hitters we have down there.

Also, Rios is pretty close to even against RHP & LHP over the course of his career and while Paulie is better against LHP he's no slouch against RHP. I don't there's much of an issue having three right-handed batters in a row when two of them are Rios & Konerko.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 10:56 AM)
Then either Dunn or Konerko is hitting 6th. That's too low for either one of them.

Well since Dunn is all or nothing player, he'd do a good job breaking up the "low obp/contact" hitters in the bottom.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 10:58 AM)
Wow, Gillaspie should not be batting third under any circumstances. I get that's he been hitting well, but there's a reason we got him for a minor league relief prospect a week before the season. Keep him in the 7 hole to break up some of the low contact, right-handed hitters we have down there.

Also, Rios is pretty close to even against RHP & LHP over the course of his career and while Paulie is better against LHP he's no slouch against RHP. I don't there's much of an issue having three right-handed batters in a row when two of them are Rios & Konerko.

We need people who can friggin' hit in succession to score some fuggin' runs but you have a point that they fare well against either type of pitcher.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 11:10 AM)
Well since Dunn is all or nothing player, he'd do a good job breaking up the "low obp/contact" hitters in the bottom.

The third spot in the lineup is for your best all around hitter. At this point that is Rios, certainly not Gillaspie. The fourth spot in the lineup is for your best power hitter, which is very clearly Dunn.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 11:12 AM)
The third spot in the lineup is for your best all around hitter. At this point that is Rios, certainly not Gillaspie. The fourth spot in the lineup is for your best power hitter, which is very clearly Dunn.

I know about the rules but how many times has Dunn just killed a rally with a big stinkin' whiff. He's a liability in the 4 hole with his approach. He has to change it.

It bears noting that Gillaspie has been doing great things sans protection in the lineup. Give him some and maybe he surprises you.

I know we're built for win-now, but I'd love for this year to result in the development of these 25-ish year old guys that we have (Conor, Flowers, Hector)

Could Conor bat second against some righties? I think it's not crazy seeing as how Kepp is noticeably lesser against them.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 11:12 AM)

There are different theories to this. I generally subscribe to the one where you want your best hitter in cleanup, your second best 5th, and your 3rd best 3rd (assuming they aren't OBP driven players, whom I would hit leadoff). This way, if your leadoff hitter gets on with nobody out, your cleanup hitter should get a shot to bring him in (as well as anybody that got on in front). If they go 1-2-3 in the first, you have the cleanup hitter leading off the next inning.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 11:28 AM)
It bears noting that Gillaspie has been doing great things sans protection in the lineup. Give him some and maybe he surprises you.

I know we're built for win-now, but I'd love for this year to result in the development of these 25-ish year old guys that we have (Conor, Flowers, Hector)

Could Conor bat second against some righties? I think it's not crazy seeing as how Kepp is noticeably lesser against them.

I wouldn't exactly call us "built to win now". We are in a definite transition between generations. If we were win now, guys like AJ, Buehrle, and TCQ would still be here.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 08:43 AM)
Come on now, we're not taking Dunn out of the lineup. He hasn't been that bad, at least not since 2011.

The problem is with De Aza, Keppinger, & Rios at the top of the lineup, guys with solid OBP and speed (at least De Aza & Rios), having Dunn's all or nothing approach in the cleanup spot is killing us. We need to flip flop him and Paulie. Let's take advantage of Konerko's significantly better contact abilities and not strand all these baserunners when Dunn fails to hit a HR.

I'm cool with Dunn batting behind Konerko. PK is so slow that it's almost always going to take two hits to drive him from 1st. Having Dunn's all or nothing approach is fine there. I just don't see any value in batting Dunn in front of Konerko.

5. Dunn

6. Viciedo

7. Ramirez

8. Flowers

5, 6, and 8 are going to K 400 times. It goes deeper than than batting order.

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 11:29 AM)
I don't know who it was, but whoever suggested Adam Dunn choking up on the bat; That's one of the best laughs I've had in a while. Thank you.

When you stop laughing, you might want to read this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/15/sports/b...ed=all&_r=0

In addition, a big man, with long arms and a long bat which he holds all the way down on the knob, is going to take longer to reach the "zone".

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 01:05 PM)
5. Dunn

6. Viciedo

7. Ramirez

8. Flowers

5, 6, and 8 are going to K 400 times. It goes deeper than than batting order.

You still have to try maximizing your production using the talent you currently have on your roster. I can't think of any argument for why Dunn should bat ahead of Konerko, at least not in his current form (i.e. a .200 hitter).

As for the bottom half of the lineup, there is no solution unless Viciedo & Flowers improve with experience. I haven't liked what I've seen out of them so far, but it's only been 9 games. It's way too early to jump to conclusions on them.

The only good news for the Sox is that Rios is straight beasting right now and making up for some of the other players' lackluster starts.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 02:19 PM)
You still have to try maximizing your production using the talent you currently have on your roster. I can't think of any argument for why Dunn should bat ahead of Konerko, at least not in his current form (i.e. a .200 hitter).

As for the bottom half of the lineup, there is no solution unless Viciedo & Flowers improve with experience. I haven't liked what I've seen out of them so far, but it's only been 9 games. It's way too early to jump to conclusions on them.

The only good news for the Sox is that Rios is straight beasting right now and making up for some of the other players' lackluster starts.

roids

I agree. I definitely think Dunn needs to be dropped to 5th or 6th. Konerko is starting to hit the ball, meanwhile Dunn is striking out 1/3rd of his at bats again.

I'm sorry, but his occasional homerun and walk does not replace the fact that his averages have been pathetic since his arrival.

Again, I wish with a runner on third and the extreme version of the shift against him, I wish Dunn would figure out how to drop one down the 3rd base line. Even if he could only get it down half of the time, it would be a more positive outcome than waiting for the about 10% chance of a home run.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 15, 2013 -> 09:20 AM)
After watching Dunn play this weekend, I'm now totally on board with just letting him go. I can't see how we'd be any worse of a baseball team.

Dunn is now doing exactly what people asked him to do. He's swinging earlier in the count, trying to make more contact, and taking fewer walks.