4/12 Games

flavum

Courney Hawkins K's

12/18 AB's at W-S

56/229 AB's overall for all his 2012 stops

Hopefully by mid-May he can at least cut it down to 1/3.5 AB. All about making adjustments. Hopefully pushing him a level above where almost every 2012 HS graduate is playing (or two levels) will turn out in the end to have been the right move.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 06:20 PM)
The fact that he hit the s*** out of the baseball at High A last year?

5 games plus a few postseason games. He's still 19, and know he's raw.

He should be learning the professional game at a lower level.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 06:23 PM)

So you are making a decision using fewer games this year, to say that last year's larger amount of games, was too small of a sample size to make a decision based on?

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 06:23 PM)

Maybe he's just caught in between a bit?

Thankfully really smart guys weighed all the pros and cons and decided this instead of you or me!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 06:25 PM)
So you are making a decision using fewer games this year, to say that last year's larger amount of games, was too small of a sample size to make a decision based on?

It's my opinion, based on his age and his game, which is power, he should be at low-A.

That said, I'll admit I could be wrong. Let's check out his stats in a couple months.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 06:33 PM)
I think the Sox believe he will develop quicker if he faces more advanced pitching at A+ and is forced to make adjustments.

Cut to 5 years from now, and he's a relief pitcher for Kannapolis.

j/k

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 06:35 PM)
Cut to 5 years from now, and he's a relief pitcher for Kannapolis.

j/k

Don't get me wrong, I go back and forth on the subject myself. However, maybe with toolsy prospects it makes more sense to rush them against better pitching before they develop bad against bad pitching and find it harder to make adjustments.

Thompson is a great example, as he struggled at first in A+ but was awesome in the 2nd half.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 06:42 PM)
Don't get me wrong, I go back and forth on the subject myself. However, maybe with toolsy prospects it makes more sense to rush them against better pitching before they develop bad against bad pitching and find it harder to make adjustments.

Thompson is a great example, as he struggled at first in A+ but was awesome in the 2nd half.

That's a good point. I never really thought of that, but he did figure things out last year it seems. Double-A is still the real jump though.

Hawkins is still young enough too that he's got time. If he's really struggling like this a month from now, I'd be surprised if the Sox kept him in W-S.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 08:49 PM)
Erik Johnson has a great chance of ending this season as the #2 prospect in the organization, if he's not already.

It's been between him and Trayce before the year started. I see Johnson's floor in the Majors. He seems like a lock to pitch in MLB. I'm just not sure of his role yet. I'm almost as confident in Snodgress, too.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 13, 2013 -> 02:13 AM)
It's been between him and Trayce before the year started. I see Johnson's floor in the Majors. He seems like a lock to pitch in MLB. I'm just not sure of his role yet. I'm almost as confident in Snodgress, too.

Knowing the White Sox, he'll be the long man in the bullpen to start out.