Direction?

GreatScott82

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 08:16 AM)
For once, I'm going to agree with marty. The one thing he needed to work on this offseason was improving his approach. He's completely failed to do that so far. People are getting him out on balls he should be crushing because he can't square anything up, every swing seems defensive while he's down in the count.

Hey! Good to see you coming around to the reality of the situation...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 10:13 AM)
I think it's premature to say he's not a bust. You don't spend two years waiting on a guy to develop as a LF'er and his K-to-BB ratio says it all.

And it's premature to say he's a bust.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 08:21 AM)

I agree that he isn't a bust...but I think at this point, and for the last few years even, he is what he is...a maddeningly frustrating hitter that will never be much more than a .250 hitter that doesn't walk, and will hit 25-30 home runs a year. Hard for me to call that a bust, but hard for me to see him ever becoming any more than that.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 10:21 AM)

750 AB's for a LF'er is enough for me to feel comfortable making a judgement. If he goes somewhere else and develops into something I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 10:21 AM)

Exactly. Regardless...everything else marty said on who to keep or move... I agree with. Almost to the point of everybody but Sale is expendable.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 10:14 AM)
I have no problem dealing Peavy, but if you want positive PR, you ask Peavy first. If that's the way the season turns out - I don't think this thought has crossed anyone's mind except the eternal optimists on Soxtalk - then you essentially tell Peavy that you are going to sell off pieces this year and intend on going through a youth movement next year where you don't believe the team will compete. You state your intentions up front - we want you to make your own choice and we will respect your preference to stay even though we won't compete or we will attempt to move you to get you a World Series title and that we will accomodate to your wishes because you accomodated us.

I can't see Peavy wanting to be traded anywhere, except maybe San Diego, and I doubt they will be buying.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 10:36 AM)
I can't see Peavy wanting to be traded anywhere, except maybe San Diego, and I doubt they will be buying.

Depends how important winning is for him at this stage of his career. If this goes south I could see him wanting to go a lot of places.

You know they capped draft spending, and they're trying to find a way to have an international draft, right? Also, you know how it seems like every good young player is getting a long-term extension? ML-ready prospects are valued higher than ever, and you can't re-allocate major league money to get an advantage in prospect acquisition. Our guys aren't going to bring back impact talent in trades. You might as well keep trying to win at the major league level and focus more than ever on drafting and developing well.

The only reasonable alternative is to completely tank for 5-7 years to try to rack up number one picks. Even that, though, is less effective than it probably feels because we're used to seeing Strasburgs and Harpers available when they usually aren't.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 11:47 AM)
You know they capped draft spending, and they're trying to find a way to have an international draft, right? Also, you know how it seems like every good young player is getting a long-term extension? ML-ready prospects are valued higher than ever, and you can't re-allocate major league money to get an advantage in prospect acquisition. Our guys aren't going to bring back impact talent in trades. You might as well keep trying to win at the major league level and focus more than ever on drafting and developing well.

The only reasonable alternative is to completely tank for 5-7 years to try to rack up number one picks. Even that, though, is less effective than it probably feels because we're used to seeing Strasburgs and Harpers available when they usually aren't.

Why spend money to try to stay in the middle though? Better to save resources as you rebuild. That option isn't perfect either of course.

Viciedo's trying to change to the leg kick timing device...but he's falling into the habit of not using it consistently, so he's getting in between, which is slowing down his bat and making him vulnerable to fastballs inside and anything over 90 MPH.

However, I am glad that we can label a 23 or 24 year old a bust...because we can also label all of our young outfield prospects future busts too, since hitters never ever make adjustments over time.

We have one young hitter under 25 and cost-controlled for the near future and we want to dump him...the only one capable of hitting 30+ homers at a ballpark that plays smaller than most.

So our solution is Gillaspie, Carlos Sanchez, Jeff Keppinger, Alejandro DeAza and Kennyn Walker? Gimenez and Phegley?

Most are already giving up on Tyler Flowers, and he was expected to provide 20+ homers, even if he was going to strike out 150-200 times.

Beckham...he's on his 5th major league season, and some were still not ready to label him a complete bust.

WHO IS GOING TO HIT HOMERS FOR THE WHITE SOX in 2014 and 2015? Dan Wilkins?

We've pretty much already acknowledged we won't get AJ's 2012 numbers again....Dunn's 2012 numbers....Konerko will more than likely be gone after this season because what's the point of rebuilding around him and you can't give him a contract that cuts his salary significantly without insulting a Sox legend...so they're in an incredibly tough position.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 10:54 AM)
Why spend money to try to stay in the middle though? Better to save resources as you rebuild. That option isn't perfect either of course.

Where would the White Sox be now with Josh Hamilton and Zach Greinke?

Still in last place. Except they'd be in a position where they would absolutely be forced to quickly cut payroll as soon as the attendance numbers from the next homestand started rolling in.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 10:14 AM)
Viciedo's trying to change to the leg kick timing device...but he's falling into the habit of not using it consistently, so he's getting in between, which is slowing down his bat and making him vulnerable to fastballs inside and anything over 90 MPH.

However, I am glad that we can label a 23 or 24 year old a bust...because we can also label all of our young outfield prospects future busts too, since hitters never ever make adjustments over time.

We have one young hitter under 25 and cost-controlled for the near future and we want to dump him...the only one capable of hitting 30+ homers at a ballpark that plays smaller than most.

So our solution is Gillaspie, Carlos Sanchez, Jeff Keppinger, Alejandro DeAza and Kennyn Walker? Gimenez and Phegley?

Most are already giving up on Tyler Flowers, and he was expected to provide 20+ homers, even if he was going to strike out 150-200 times.

Beckham...he's on his 5th major league season, and some were still not ready to label him a complete bust.

WHO IS GOING TO HIT HOMERS FOR THE WHITE SOX in 2014 and 2015? Dan Wilkins?

We've pretty much already acknowledged we won't get AJ's 2012 numbers again....Dunn's 2012 numbers....Konerko will more than likely be gone after this season because what's the point of rebuilding around him and you can't give him a contract that cuts his salary significantly without insulting a Sox legend...so they're in an incredibly tough position.

I agree...I mean there isn't much to gain by trading these young players right now anyways...you may be able to move some of the vets if they are desired by other clubs if things look bad at the break...but we can't possibly know these things now...this team is in a funk, but it's getting a lot of attention because it is coming right at the beginning of the season. This team is better than this, especially if Alex is going to hit this way again this year.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 12:18 PM)
I agree...I mean there isn't much to gain by trading these young players right now anyways...you may be able to move some of the vets if they are desired by other clubs if things look bad at the break...but we can't possibly know these things now...this team is in a funk, but it's getting a lot of attention because it is coming right at the beginning of the season. This team is better than this, especially if Alex is going to hit this way again this year.

There doesn't appear to be a clear direction. I don't understand how they can't find a spot for Jordan Danks. Platoon him with Viciedo and put him in center to see if he can become anything useful.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 11:31 AM)
There doesn't appear to be a clear direction. I don't understand how they can't find a spot for Jordan Danks. Platoon him with Viciedo and put him in center to see if he can become anything useful.

JORDAN DANKS is not a POWER HITTER.

He will strike out way too much for the power he will give you.

If we're going this route, we might as well bring back Ryan Sweeney.

Giving Danks 300-350 AB's against RHP only will prove that we've wasted a year of Viciedo's development.

Going from what you've said in your last year of comments, our outfield would be BJ Upton, Ichiro and Danks/Viciedo...assuming you didn't trade Rios to cut salary and clear payroll space.

We play 81 home games at USCF.

We have to get homers from SOMEWHERE, and it won't be coming from an infield of Gillaspie/Sanchez/Keppinger or whoever's catching (fill-in-the-blank journeyman/retread/AAAA filler).

Edited by caulfield12

Because the direction and CLEAR message to Sox fans with a line-up of

Gillaspie, Sanchez, Keppinger, Gimenez/Phegley/Anderson and Danks is...

LOSING 100+ games and looking more like the Astros than anything resembling a contending MLB team.

That would give us a clear direction all right.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 11:50 AM)
Why not? Let's see if he can be anything useful.

Obviously not, or the coaching staff wouldn't have Wise on the roster instead.

If they believed Danks would hit 20+ homers and not strike out 150+ times, he'd be in Chicago. It's another version of the Brian Anderson story all over again....without the hype.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 12:54 PM)
I'd give him another chance, nothing to lose. He can turn into a stopgap that could allow you to get something for De Aza.

Seriously, what are you going to get for anyone besides Sale on the Sox roster that would be useful by the time they had a team worthy of the MLB logo on their back shoulder after a rebuild?

Why do you whine about the Sox being bad, but only want them to get worse?

Your apparent dislike for Viciedo is now overwhelming all logical thinking here.

The only players who are going to get us anything significant back in return at the moment are Sale and Peavy.

Period.

The idea of replacing DeAza or Viciedo with Jordan Danks and thinking that's somehow contributing to any sort of positive direction for the franchise is laughable.

It's the kind of move 12-13 year olds playing around with Strat-O-Matic cards would make in their basement. Major league teams, thankfully, don't operate in such fashion.

Edited by caulfield12