2013 NFL Draft

It's a weaker draft for sure and if KC gets Miami's first 2nd round pick I'd love to take him there if he was still around, but I wouldn't take an above average inside linebacker whose ceiling is that of a poor man's Luke Kuechly in the first round.

The intersection of "Players who are worth the 20th pick" and "Players who will be available with the 20th pick" is very small if not zero. Trading down would be nice if they can find a taker but if not they are going to get a 2nd round talent regardless of position.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 25, 2013 -> 01:15 PM)
How many linebackers look good when their DL is getting bulldozed? It's a short list, because it's zero

How many linebackers look good when their DL is manhandling the other team? That's the million dollar question. His D-tackles were absolutely dominant all season. It won't be that easy for him the NFL, how good will he play then?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 25, 2013 -> 02:20 PM)
How many linebackers look good when their DL is manhandling the other team? That's the million dollar question. His D-tackles were absolutely dominant all season. It won't be that easy for him the NFL, how good will he play then?

That's a more legitimate question and it's why I wouldn't want to use the 20th pick on him but I really don't think he'll bust in the NFL. Only someone who watches all his tape could tell.

Te'o definitely looked like a pretty good football player before the Bama game and I would have loved for the Bears to draft him. A big problem for me is the girlfriend thing. If he's that gullible how is he going to gain respect from an NFL locker room? I've heard former players even talk about that aspect on ESPN.

Combine that with his mediocre measurables and I no longer want the bears to touch the guy at 20. A big thing Te'o had going for him before the girlfriend story was his intangibles. Those took a huge blow.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 25, 2013 -> 02:29 PM)
All the draft news today is hilarious.

Every team loves every player. Every team hates every player.

NFL GMs the week before a draft make election-year political campaign workers look downright honest.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 25, 2013 -> 01:30 PM)
NFL GMs the week before a draft make election-year political campaign workers look downright honest.

An NFL GM should run a political campaign. The other candidate would have no idea what the hell you were gonna do next.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 25, 2013 -> 02:22 PM)
That's a more legitimate question and it's why I wouldn't want to use the 20th pick on him but I really don't think he'll bust in the NFL. Only someone who watches all his tape could tell.

I think the INT's say that he has good football instincts but his athleticism isn't where you'd want it to be if you're drafting a position like LB in the first round. LB is a position where people are moved in and out all the time. If you're drafting a LB in the first round it better be someone who can take over and dominate a game from that position and "Ball skills" isn't all you need for that, you have to legitimately be faster and stronger than everyone else on the field.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Apr 25, 2013 -> 11:23 AM)
Te'o definitely looked like a pretty good football player before the Bama game and I would have loved for the Bears to draft him. A big problem for me is the girlfriend thing. If he's that gullible how is he going to gain respect from an NFL locker room? I've heard former players even talk about that aspect on ESPN.

Combine that with his mediocre measurables and I no longer want the bears to touch the guy at 20. A big thing Te'o had going for him before the girlfriend story was his intangibles. Those took a huge blow.

I think he'll get hazed about the girlfriend thing in training camp and all that, but if he comes in and shows that he's a good player, no one is going to care about that. I'm sure these players have some pretty hilarious dirt on eachother that the press has no clue about...and they just don't really care when it comes down to it...if you are a good player, you get respect.

I was never particularly impressed with him and always thought he was overhyped...but I trust that our FO will be able to make a far better determination of just how good he is than I ever could.

I also agree with ss2k...he was playing with some pretty heavy stuff on his mind in that Bama game...who knows how that may have affected him.

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Apr 25, 2013 -> 12:37 PM)
Your World vs Notre Dame crap is ridiculous.

How about because he's too small for MLB, too slow for the cover 2 scheme, and without the name attached he wouldn't be a first round talent.

Too small to be a MLB is like saying Rickey Henderson was too fast to steal bases.

He's the PERFECT size to be a MLB. You know how I know? The best MLB of our time - even considering he was overrated in his later years - is Ray Lewis. He was listed 6'0'', 240 lbs. Manti Te'o, who you say is "too small," is listed at 6'1 (1/4),'' 241 lbs. BUT TOO SMALL

He seems like a pretty diverse player who is quick and strong enough. He doesn't seem like a superstar, but I think he'll be fine in whatever scheme he ends up in.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 25, 2013 -> 01:52 PM)
Too small to be a MLB is like saying Rickey Henderson was too fast to steal bases.

He's the PERFECT size to be a MLB. You know how I know? The best MLB of our time - even considering he was overrated in his later years - is Ray Lewis. He was listed 6'0'', 240 lbs. Manti Te'o, who you say is "too small," is listed at 6'1 (1/4),'' 241 lbs. BUT TOO SMALL

He seems like a pretty diverse player who is quick and strong enough. He doesn't seem like a superstar, but I think he'll be fine in whatever scheme he ends up in.

So because Ray Lewis is a great LB, that means Te'o is the perfect size?

By that logic, Drew Brees is one of the best QB's of all time, so everyone should draft sub 6 foot QB's.

All I can find for combine results for Ray Lewis are his bench, 40, and vertical, but all of those point to being much more athletic than Te'o as well.

I'm not saying the guy sucks, but I don't think he's worth drafting in the 1st round. He'll probably be an average LB, I don't see difference maker or play maker when I see him. If you want to use a 1st round pick on an "average" NFL player, that's fine, but I think you could find that in the 3rd.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 25, 2013 -> 12:33 PM)
Because he's from Notre Dame and hating Notre Dame is way more important than, you know, football reasons and stuff.

You may disagree with them, but there are plenty of legitmate reasons to want to pass on Teo beyond that. The Bears have greater needs and TE would be a luxury pick at #20, but I certainly wouldn't hate Tyler Eifert.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Apr 25, 2013 -> 07:14 PM)
You may disagree with them, but there are plenty of legitmate reasons to want to pass on Teo beyond that. The Bears have greater needs and TE would be a luxury pick at #20, but I certainly wouldn't hate Tyler Eifert.

Absolutely!

Oh, if Eifert is there at 20 I take him over Te'o no question. I don't think he'll be there though.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 25, 2013 -> 02:19 PM)
Again, he'll probably bee a fine LB, but "normal" simply isn't what you look for in the first round.

I was referring to his size. People seem to think that he is undersized.

Here is what Mike Freeman from CBS Sports just tweeted.

@realfreemancbs

Half of team execs I talk to love Manti, other half say vastly overrated. All of them think Bears taking him. Huge mistake if they do

Translated: Half of team execs have their eyes on someone else and are talking up Manti to get somebody to take him, the other half have their eyes on Manti and are talking him down in hopes that nobody ahead of them takes him, and the coin I flipped just came up tails so I'm agreeing with the half that don't want him.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 25, 2013 -> 12:26 PM)
Translated: Half of team execs have their eyes on someone else and are talking up Manti to get somebody to take him, the other half have their eyes on Manti and are talking him down in hopes that nobody ahead of them takes him, and the coin I flipped just came up tails so I'm agreeing with the half that don't want him.

Yeah, it bugs me when people outside of the industry are so sure they know definitively more than those inside it.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 25, 2013 -> 08:22 PM)
Here is what Mike Freeman from CBS Sports just tweeted.

@realfreemancbs

Half of team execs I talk to love Manti, other half say vastly overrated. All of them think Bears taking him. Huge mistake if they do

Or it could be the Bears bluffing in order to try and make the Vikings trade up to get him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 25, 2013 -> 02:28 PM)
Or it could be the Bears bluffing in order to try and make the Vikings trade up to get him.

Anybody who believes anything anybody says today is silly.

I've been following the Bills pretty extensively, and, depending on which reporter you talk to, they like Nassib, Barkley, Manuel, or Austin with the 8th pick, but they're also looking to trade down.

Anybody who believes anything anybody says today is silly.

I've been following the Bills pretty extensively, and, depending on which reporter you talk to, they like Nassib, Barkley, Manuel, or Austin with the 8th pick, but they're also looking to trade down.

Yeah, pre-draft reporting makes CNN and the NY Post look incredibly accurate.