2013 NFL Draft

I have a feeling this pick was made based on the assumption that Long will be our starting G. Nobody has seen much of him on tape, so I think it is fair to give our FO a little credit here. Since we invested a lot of money and high-ish pick in the TE position in the past calendar year, I guess we really weren't willing to add another TE. I don't think anyone blames them for passing on Te'o, either.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Emery says Bears had some discussions, but Long was player Bears have targeted the last couple weeks.

Emery not concerned with off-the-field issues (Long was arrested for DUI in 2009). Calls him "a team leader." Oregon wanted to bring him back next year, but he was denied additional year of eligibility. Emery says Long "flunked out" of Florida State. But has rebounded.

Emery not concerned about lack of experience because of type of person Long is.

Long is first guard Bears have picked in the first round of the draft since Roger Davis in 1960.

I thought Angelo left town.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 25, 2013 -> 09:58 PM)
Saw on twitter that as long as Long was on the board, the Bears weren't trading down.

The fact that it seems like the Bears are the only team that rated Long as top-20 caliber, you have to think something is off with the Bears here. Hope I am wrong. But now, you assume Matt Slauson starts at one guard spot and now regardless, one first-round pick of the club in the last three years will not be starting when the season starts (Carimi or Long).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 25, 2013 -> 10:18 PM)
Strange to see so few RBs and QBs gone at this point.

I cannot remember seeing the first RB go this late in the 1st round If at all. No Big Ten players yet either.

Edited by Soxfest

I'm thrilled that the NFL is working these activist causes into their broadcast, but they have done a very poor job of doing it with time efficiency. They constantly are doing things like speech AFTER the pick is in but BEFORE it is announced.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 25, 2013 -> 10:27 PM)
I'm thrilled that the NFL is working these activist causes into their broadcast, but they have done a very poor job of doing it with time efficiency. They constantly are doing things like speech AFTER the pick is in but BEFORE it is announced.

I agree If it was not NY or Boston, I wonder If NFL would do the same say for Seattle?

What a horrendous value for vikes. A lot of picks to give up for a guy who was in Juco last year and started out as the #3 or 4 wr on a bad team

They cleaned house getting Floyd tho

Edited by daa84

So I've been pre-occupied texting people about this Bears pick and I haven't been able to hop on here yet, but here are my thoughts:

I absolutely hate this pick. It's horrible value. This is the 2nd year in a row where Emery took a 2nd round player in the 1st round. Eventually, he has to be questioned. How great did McClellin work out for us? 7 f***ing tackles. It's not that I don't like Long as a player, but he's not the 20th best player in the draft. For the Bears in this draft, the goal in the 1st round had to be getting an immediate contributor. Maybe Long will start. But he's damn raw. I simply think there were much, much better options still available. Or trade down with the Falcons like STL did, and take Ogletree like STL just did. It's stupid. f***ing moron. And no, I'm not a meathead Bears fan. I'm just telling the truth. Again, I'm not hating on the player. I'm hating on Emery for getting poor value out of the 20th pick.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 25, 2013 -> 10:33 PM)
Hypothetical: if Matt Barkley and Manti Te'o are available for the Bears in 2nd round, which do you pick?

I think Barkley will be a good NFL QB, and if the Bears needed a QB i'd take him. The Bears don't need a QB though, so I'd have to say Te'o.