Explosions at end of Boston Marathon

IlliniKrush

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 01:36 PM)
1984 was a well-orchestrated propaganda machine controlled by a central entity. This is just a clusterf***.

You missed the connection.

Not about media control, its about big brother watching you. More cameras, more surveillance so that the govt can make sure you are safe from all the monsters in the world.

Overreactions to terrible events lead to people willingly surrendering freedoms that took thousands of years to fight for.

The price of freedom is blood.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 08:51 PM)
You missed the connection.

Not about media control, its about big brother watching you. More cameras, more surveillance so that the govt can make sure you are safe from all the monsters in the world.

Overreactions to terrible events lead to people willingly surrendering freedoms that took thousands of years to fight for.

The price of freedom is blood.

Who needs big brother to do that, when we have all willingly done this ourselves? I guarantee it won't have been surveilance cameras that will have caught this, but cellphone or tv cameras.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 03:57 PM)
Who needs big brother to do that, when we have all willingly done this ourselves? I guarantee it won't have been surveilance cameras that will have caught this, but cellphone or tv cameras.

Supposedly the best shots come from a Lord & Taylor's surveillance camera. I dunno if you can count that as "big brother" though.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 03:57 PM)

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 04:09 PM)
Supposedly the best shots come from a Lord & Taylor's surveillance camera. I dunno if you can count that as "big brother" though.

Its the same principal. If cellphone cameras become tools to catch criminals, the next stop is for the govt to start asking for laws that allow them to view your pictures to try and help criminals...

What happened is terrible and tragic. But terrible and tragic things will happen in a society where we allow free choice.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 04:35 PM)
Its the same principal. If cellphone cameras become tools to catch criminals, the next stop is for the govt to start asking for laws that allow them to view your pictures to try and help criminals...

What happened is terrible and tragic. But terrible and tragic things will happen in a society where we allow free choice.

Well, you can't assume that laws will be made to allow government to access private pictures. That's a big assumption.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 04:37 PM)
Well, you can't assume that laws will be made to allow government to access private pictures. That's a big assumption.

Yeah, there's no way that wouldn't require a warrant

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 01:34 PM)
we will now slowly begin the walk back towards 1984.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 03:51 PM)

If cellphone cameras become tools to catch criminals, the next stop is for the govt to start asking for laws that allow them to view your pictures to try and help criminals...

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 04:42 PM)
Yeah, there's no way that wouldn't require a warrant

Im not assuming anything. Im merely making an observation based on the reaction of US citizens post 9/11.

After 9/11 the patriot act was passed. Many of your freedoms were voluntarily surrendered to the govt in the name of "safety".

You can pretend that it didnt happen, you can say "Well that will require a warrant", but where are the people to fight for this?

http://www.aclu.org/national-security/aclu...triots-restore-

Specifically, the act allows federal agents to gather highly personal information -- including library, medical and gun purchase records-- without criminal suspicion, permits secret searches of homes and businesses with indefinite notification, and expands the definition of domestic terrorism to potentially include political protest.

I hope I am wrong. But I am almost always in the minority when it comes to these issues. Most people dont care about protecting the rights of criminals or protecting someones privacy at the expense of catching a terrorist.

Thats the reality, how far it gets, is up to the people of the US.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 05:37 PM)

Right now I think most people are happy to provide their photos to the government willingly in a case like this, and if there's a certain photo that law enforcement realizes it must have, then it will be able to make the case for a warrant.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 04:55 PM)
Right now I think most people are happy to provide their photos to the government willingly in a case like this, and if there's a certain photo that law enforcement realizes it must have, then it will be able to make the case for a warrant.

I actually think that they already may be able to do it without a warrant.

And even a warrant is nonsense. All you have to do is say "exigent circumstances" and Im pretty sure that most judges would be fine if the police/fbi went and got a picture.

Why?

What if that picture was deleted in the time it took for the warrant to be issued?

Are you going to tell the world that you didnt catch the "terrorist" because we were waiting on a judge to get a warrant so that we could look at cell phone pictures. Or do you think most people will say:

"If you didnt want someone to see your bad pictures, you shouldnt have taken them"

"Or you shouldnt have done something wrong if you didnt want to get caught"

Classic circular logic that prevails in all criminal law. Ignorance is bliss.

Back on the pathetic media sideshow, the FBI released a statement that is probably about as close to the FBI ever gets to ripping apart a news org.

Contrary to widespread reporting, no arrest has been made in connection with the Boston Marathon attack. Over the past day and a half, there have been a number of press reports based on information from unofficial sources that has been inaccurate. Since these stories often have unintended consequences, we ask the media, particularly at this early stage of the investigation, to exercise caution and attempt to verify information through appropriate official channels before reporting.

Turn on icloud, sync photos to icloud, done. Government can easily go in and look at the pics and even the gps tags on the pics.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 06:07 PM)
Wow. really compelling.

Hard to tell, in one picture they have a guy circled as suspicious in another they are using him as an example of people looking at the race.

But this type of stuff can be good or bad. Right now Id just say its evidence, but wouldnt start accusing any of the people without much more.

It is also a pretty solid bet based on the history of some of the things we have been allowing our government to do, and the power grabs they have made in the past.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 05:06 PM)
Back on the pathetic media sideshow, the FBI released a statement that is probably about as close to the FBI ever gets to ripping apart a news org.

Have we really been reduced to taking the FBI's word for things. Ugh.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 06:14 PM)
It is also a pretty solid bet based on the history of some of the things we have been allowing our government to do, and the power grabs they have made in the past.

to me, white hat/black bag guy and his associate blue shirt/blue bag guy are people of interest. that black bag looks very suspicious.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 02:57 PM)

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 12:15 PM)
@RBecklerPSU

Wow. Some people on 4chan are compiling photos of possible Boston bomb suspects. Solid, very compelling work here. http://bit.ly/XGI25h

vKHxorkh.jpg

Is that a picture of a dude taking a picture of a woman taking a picture of someone?

Internet has pretty much narrowed it down to these two:

nHN7gYE.png

Circled guy and guy on the left as well. They are probably wrong and if so I feel bad for these two.

EDIT: CNN just described the photos they were given by the FBI and the descriptions fit all of the photos of these two.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 05:14 PM)

QUOTE (Daniel Wood, a video producer from New York City who was waiting for a train @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 05:14 PM)
"They can give me a cavity search right now and I'd be perfectly happy," said Daniel Wood, a video producer from New York City who was waiting for a train.

Sounds about right.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 10:27 PM)
Internet has pretty much narrowed it down to these two:

nHN7gYE.png

Circled guy and guy on the left as well. They are probably wrong and if so I feel bad for these two.

EDIT: CNN just described the photos they were given by the FBI and the descriptions fit all of the photos of these two.

Also from those pictures, the guy in the white hat has a backpack in other ones and in the picture above, he does not. The backpack is also extremely bulky and ditto the dufflebag of the other guy.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 03:46 AM)
Also from those pictures, the guy in the white hat has a backpack in other ones and in the picture above, he does not. The backpack is also extremely bulky and ditto the dufflebag of the other guy.

They just found blue guys fb page. Track runner from Harvard. Don't think it is him...