Explosions at end of Boston Marathon

IlliniKrush

Full recap of the night's events

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2013/04/18...yQuL/story.html

the night’s outbreak of violence began when police received reports of a robbery of a convenience store in Kendall Square near MIT. A few minutes later, an MIT police officer, who has not been identified, was shot multiple times while in his cruiser at Main and Vassar streets, near Building 32, better known as the renowned Stata Center on the MIT campus.

The officer was pronounced dead at Massachusetts General Hospital. A short time later, two men carjacked a Mercedes SUV at gunpoint, and the owner of that car was able to flee at a gas station on Memorial Drive.

The SUV proceeded out Memorial Drive toward Watertown followed by a long train of police vehicles in pursuit. At one point during the pursuit, the two suspects opened fire on Watertown police and a Transit Police officer, who was shot and who remains in stable condition at a Boston-area hospital this morning.

During the gunfight, Suspect No. 1 was wounded and was taken into custody. This morning, Dr. Richard Wolfe said the man was brought to the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center emergency room about 1:10 a.m. with multiple traumatic injuries.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 19, 2013 -> 07:31 AM)

A teenager said he is scared to go outside after he was portrayed on the Internet and on the front page of the New York Post as connected to the deadly Boston Marathon bombings.

Photos of Salah Eddin Barhoum, 17, and friend Yassine Zaime were posted on websites whose users have been scouring marathon finish line photos for suspects. The two were also on the Post’s front Thursday with the headline: “Bag men: Feds seek these two pictured at Boston Marathon.”

The Post reported later Thursday that the pair weren’t considered suspects, and the FBI has since identified two other men as suspects in Monday’s bombings, which killed three people and injured more than 180.

But Barhoum, a track runner at Revere High School, said he is convinced some will blame him for the bombings, no matter what.

He was so fearful on Thursday that he ran back to the high school after a track meet when he saw a man in a car staring at him, talking into a phone, he said.

Barhoum added he received more than 200 messages online Wednesday, with one commenter from Oregon asking: “How could you do that? Did you even think about the consequences?”

Barhoum said he won’t feel safe until the bombers are caught.

“I’m going to be scared going to school,” Barhoum said. “Workwise, my family, everything is going to be scary.”

Sigh

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 19, 2013 -> 08:18 AM)
Apparently around 3:00 a.m. last night the internets "identified" one of the suspects as Sunil Tripathi, a student at Brown University.

Once again, the identification was incorrect.

the police broadcast it on their scanner. they read two names of the wrong suspects.

internet then ran with it.

Edited by buhbuhburrrrlz

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 19, 2013 -> 02:18 PM)
Apparently around 3:00 a.m. last night the internets "identified" one of the suspects as Sunil Tripathi, a student at Brown University.

Once again, the identification was incorrect.

Cops reported it on their public scanner

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 19, 2013 -> 07:08 AM)

Not quite sure why, maybe because over time I've come to expect (and accept) bottom-feeding scumminess from news sources, but I'm far more appalled, nauseated, and saddened by people acting like they're Tom Parsons' children in the Junior Spy League. It was especially prevalent on Twitter and Facebook (posting or re-tweeting misinformation), but it wasn't limited to social media- anywhere you saw a group of people engaged in small talk about what has been going on- there's always some clown who thinks he or she is motherf***ing John Walsh from America's Most Wanted.

Ah my love affair for the press continues. Nothing like the reporters trying to get a scoop on the killers family. Oh Uncle of the dirtbag killers, "I am so sorry for your loss". Really thats the first thing you say. These are cold blooded killers who walked right past an 8 year old and placed a bomb near him that killed him and maimed innocents. They walked around that area and knew the makeup of the crowd. They still decided to carry this out. I am not sorry for your loss. I can't wait till we get your other nephew. Hopefully before he breathes his last breath we can extract some intel from him. Then we can send him to hell.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 19, 2013 -> 02:07 PM)
Ah my love affair for the press continues. Nothing like the reporters trying to get a scoop on the killers family. Oh Uncle of the dirtbag killers, "I am so sorry for your loss". Really thats the first thing you say. These are cold blooded killers who walked right past an 8 year old and placed a bomb near him that killed him and maimed innocents. They walked around that area and knew the makeup of the crowd. They still decided to carry this out. I am not sorry for your loss. I can't wait till we get your other nephew. Hopefully before he breathes his last breath we can extract some intel from him. Then we can send him to hell.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/danoshinsky/boston...erve-to-exist-o

Did we see the same interview? In this one the news anchor is basically asking the uncle to apologize for their nephews actions, and at that point it's pretty clear that the news person was letting them know their nephews had done it and that one of them was dead.

I think if someone close to you dies, even if it is their own fault and they had done something horrible, you might still feel some type of grief. If you want these relatives to speak candidly to you, I don't see it as out of line to offer some sort of condolence to that person.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 19, 2013 -> 09:11 AM)
http://www.buzzfeed.com/danoshinsky/boston...erve-to-exist-o

Did we see the same interview? In this one the news anchor is basically asking the uncle to apologize for their nephews actions, and at that point it's pretty clear that the news person was letting them know their nephews had done it and that one of them was dead.

Different interview. The uncle couldn't believe they did this he said. Then the reporter then another reporter told him how sorry they were for his loss. He gave out an address to them and he was heading there to talk to other members of the family.

This is just absolutely wild. It's complete madness. This is a movie being played out in real life. Boston has been shut down by two psychopaths. I wish I didn't have meetings all day, I could watch this unfold for days.

Meanwhile, Erin Burnett's little shirt/vest combo on CNN today is just driving me wild. I love her.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Apr 19, 2013 -> 10:28 AM)
imagine if he got away and they locked the whole city down gz

There are reports now that they're looking for a vehicle that may have headed for Connecticut. This could already have happened.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 19, 2013 -> 09:27 AM)
Chechnyans have done a lot of damage in Russia. Hopefully these are just two kids who went crazy, not the start of more action from them.

Russia has done a lot of damage in Chechnya. Although I doubt the bombing in Boston has anything to do with that long standing conflict.

Russia's worst war crime in Chechnya