Explosions at end of Boston Marathon

IlliniKrush

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 19, 2013 -> 10:23 PM)
Yep! I prefer the moral high ground, though. Having the state kill this person on my behalf doesn't actually do anything for me. Nor does subjecting him to 60 years of solitary.

What exactly do you suggest? It sounds almost like you're saying he shouldn't be punished :lol:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Apr 20, 2013 -> 08:59 AM)
How so?

They already can't stop talking about how fawkin awesome Boston is, and this week is increasing it ten-fold. (They did seem to handle everything extremely well, which they will proudly tell everyone).

The Globe seems to have done a solid job of putting together the backgrounds of the 2 people, if you want to know more about them or where the personal part of this is going.

“I used to warn Dzhokhar that Tamerlan was up to no good,” Zaur Tsarnaev, who identified himself as a 26-year-old cousin, said in a phone interview from Makhachkala, Russia, where the brothers briefly lived. “[Tamerlan] was always getting in trouble. He was never happy, never cheering, never smiling. He used to strike his girlfriend. . . . He was not a nice man.”

The older brother dropped out of college, was seemingly unemployed, and faced a domestic violence charge in 2009. The younger brother, Dzhokhar (pronounced Ja-HAR), seemed less troubled, people who knew him said, a friendly, relaxed teenager called “an angel” by his uncle and a party-loving “pothead” by some friends. But there were hints of something ominous underneath the surface: a message on Dzhokhar’s Twitter feed on Marathon Monday last year referred to a Koran verse often used by radical Muslim clerics and propagandists.

The two young men, seven years apart, shared a keen intelligence and willingness to work hard, according to interviews with dozens of people who knew them. But there were stark differences between Tamerlan, who came to America as a teenager, and Dzhokhar, who was 10 or 11 when the family immigrated to the United States, and by all accounts thrived in their new American home. Their father, a lawyer before he emigrated, worked as an auto mechanic in the the United States, while their mother was a licensed cosmetologist.

Their older son, an accomplished amateur boxer described by some as arrogant or standoffish, aspired to be an engineer but dropped out of Bunker Hill Community College. His younger brother, a well-liked wrestling team captain and National Honor Society member in high school, is currently enrolled as a sophomore at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, living in a dorm on campus and studying to be a marine biologist.

“If someone were to ask me what this kid is like, I would say that he had a heart of gold,” said Larry Aaronson, who taught the younger suspect at the public Cambridge Rindge & Latin School. “He was as gracious as possible … This is all surreal to me.”

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 20, 2013 -> 07:50 AM)
I'll relent on my desire to restrict gun ownership as long as you give me the ability to restrict the free speech rights of people like Michael Savage and Glenn Beck.

Wait, so he is still insisting that the Saudi National is involved?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 20, 2013 -> 12:33 AM)
I don't think life in hell is great.

I dont believe in hell, so Im not going to take the risk on a fantasy punishment for the rest of his "eternal days".

I believe that when you die its peaceful like falling asleep. So solitary confinement with no chance at parole is far worse.

You can be entitled your opinion. I just would rather not take the risk you are willing to. You want to take the risk that hell exists and therefore by sending him to hell quicker he gets punished more.

My belief is why take a risk that hell exists? He is going to die no matter what, and if hell does exist then he is going to suffer forever, so what does it matter if its today, tomorrow or 90 years from now?

From an objective standpoint, where we dont believe in mythical places like hell, life imprisonment is worse.

Milkman,

Life imprisonment, especially solitary, is worse than death. Death is just falling asleep and never waking up. Life imprisonment is living a nightmare every day for the rest of your days.

Ill pick the latter. Nothing is really going to convince me otherwise.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 20, 2013 -> 11:59 AM)
I dont believe in hell, so Im not going to take the risk on a fantasy punishment for the rest of his "eternal days".

I believe that when you die its peaceful like falling asleep. So solitary confinement with no chance at parole is far worse.

You can be entitled your opinion. I just would rather not take the risk you are willing to. You want to take the risk that hell exists and therefore by sending him to hell quicker he gets punished more.

My belief is why take a risk that hell exists? He is going to die no matter what, and if hell does exist then he is going to suffer forever, so what does it matter if its today, tomorrow or 90 years from now?

From an objective standpoint, where we dont believe in mythical places like hell, life imprisonment is worse.

Milkman,

Life imprisonment, especially solitary, is worse than death. Death is just falling asleep and never waking up. Life imprisonment is living a nightmare every day for the rest of your days.

Ill pick the latter. Nothing is really going to convince me otherwise.

Maybe we can get him some cable, a nice workout program, access to the library, Internet access. Maybe he could learn to paint like John Wayne Gacy. They could share the same letterhead "execute the law not the people". Odd though, Gacy seemed to fight death instead of embracing the "falling asleep" easy path.

You can take the hell factor out of this, we don't have to make it religious, that's fine.

But, he doesn't deserve to live. He doesn't deserve to think, go outside a cell, eat, etc. He took that away from people on multiple occasions.

Dying may be peaceful, but I don't want to take that "risk" either that it's not. Your risk argument is beyond weird, and it's all based on opinion. One's not more "risky" than the other one. It's all a matter of what you think. If faced with this, you'd rather die I guess. That's fine. For all we know he'd rather live than die. Who knows. He knew what road this was going down, if he didn't want that he could have killed himself anyway.

Think about it from the families' perspective (those who lost people), do you think they want him alive? I'm not so sure all of them would.

"Death is just falling asleep and never waking up." You make it sound so simple, but you're still f***ing dead.

You're about suffering, other people are about game over. You can't simply say confinement is worse than death, there's nothing that can prove that. We can't hear from the other side.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 20, 2013 -> 12:27 PM)
Maybe we can get him some cable, a nice workout program, access to the library, Internet access. Maybe he could learn to paint like John Wayne Gacy. They could share the same letterhead "execute the law not the people". Odd though, Gacy seemed to fight death instead of embracing the "falling asleep" easy path.

I said solitary confinement. Perhaps you should read next time.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 20, 2013 -> 12:28 PM)
You can take the hell factor out of this, we don't have to make it religious, that's fine.

But, he doesn't deserve to live. He doesn't deserve to think, go outside a cell, eat, etc. He took that away from people on multiple occasions.

Dying may be peaceful, but I don't want to take that "risk" either that it's not. Your risk argument is beyond weird, and it's all based on opinion. One's not more "risky" than the other one. It's all a matter of what you think. If faced with this, you'd rather die I guess. That's fine. For all we know he'd rather live than die. Who knows. He knew what road this was going down, if he didn't want that he could have killed himself anyway.

Think about it from the families' perspective (those who lost people), do you think they want him alive? I'm not so sure all of them would.

"Death is just falling asleep and never waking up." You make it sound so simple, but you're still f***ing dead.

You're about suffering, other people are about game over. You can't simply say confinement is worse than death, there's nothing that can prove that. We can't hear from the other side.

And not all of the families want him to be executed.

But every family who wants him to die, will know that eventually he will die. So those families get what they want no matter what.

Im going to side with objective/rationale thought, over mythical fantasy thought.

We know that solitary confinement is miserable. I can put you in it for a year and you can testify to that fact. I do not know that death is miserable.

Therefore when given the option of:

A) A punishment I know is extremely miserable

or

B) A punishment that may be extremely miserable, but no matter what the person will always suffer it.

I pick A.

Im not into giving terrorists get out of jail free cards. That is why they suicide many times, because they are under the belief that death will be BETTER than life.

Go figure, I dont want to give terrorists what they want.

You think death is great, I get it. Giving terrorists what they want, not too sure on that one. You keep contradicting yourself. If they wanted death, they could have have chosen a suicide bomb to begin with.

Also, "eventually he'll die so the families will get what they want." Are you kidding me with this? Wait, everyone dies? No s***. Some of them don't want to wait for the natural death.