Explosions at end of Boston Marathon

IlliniKrush

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 05:12 PM)
See also; tax code.

Meh, apples to oranges, the Constitution isn't that specific about taxes other than to say Congress has the authority to tax and the dreaded income tax etc. whereas this one is in the bill of rights pretty explicitly and doesn't say "except"

(Full disclosure, I can be seen as a hypocrite because I think Aulaqi was a piece of s*** who was a problem in search of a solution, and I don't think what happened was a travesty)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 01:29 PM)
Anywho, federal charges filed against him today, for using a weapon of mass destruction against persons and property in the U.S. resulting in death.

Charges can qualify for the death penalty.

Yeah! We captured him alive!

Now let's kill him!

I'd rather he be a lab rat for study for the rest of his life.

I'm curious with all this prison rape talk how many of you have any real idea of what goes on in prisons. Most of the sex in there isn't rape.... And as for the low end criminals they are in lower security prisons where it's not really happening at all so don't understand someone bringing them up.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 10:25 PM)
http://www.getonhand.com/blogs/news/774333...ootout-pictures

Incredible pictures of the gun battle between the cops and the brothers.

That's incredible. Could you imagine watching TV or surfing the internet and suddenly you realize THEY are a few dozen feet in front of you? Holy s***, is this happening right now? I don't know that I would have been brave enough to watch/grab photos, and would have been beyond terrified that more bombs were about to go off right in front of my house.

Also the whole time I thought the other brother drove away from the gunfight in the opposite direction. He drove at the officers, and was still able to get away without being killed or all the tires shot out or something. That's crazy.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 03:25 PM)
This is a difficult thing to consider and I've given it a lot of thought over the years. My conclusion is that the world doesn't revolve around me. If something were to happen to a friend or relative (or to me), it would hurt, but I wouldn't be the first in the history of the world to suffer an injustice at the hands of someone else. I think it's kind of disgusting to watch families of victims screaming for blood or taking great pleasure in telling the offender about how they're going to "burn in hell" (bonus points if they claim to be God-fearing Christians- a recent example being the family of the first wife Drew Peterson was recently convicted of murdering). It's animalistic and repulsive. Compose yourself and think before you talk out of your ass, Ass. Think about all the people that will see the petty way you act before you throw your adult hissy fit.

For you to talk about victims and their families like that while never having been in their situation, I find THAT disgusting. I mean holy s***, get the f*** off of your high horse.

Anyone else listen to Opie & Anthony? They had Alex Jones on who ranted about one of his new theories on the bombing. A lady called in who is friends with the guy in the pic who lost his legs and challenged everything he said and all Jones could do was put her down by telling her to get back into the kitchen.

It was pretty entertaining.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 05:43 AM)
Anyone else listen to Opie & Anthony? They had Alex Jones on who ranted about one of his new theories on the bombing. A lady called in who is friends with the guy in the pic who lost his legs and challenged everything he said and all Jones could do was put her down by telling her to get back into the kitchen.

It was pretty entertaining.

Alex Jones is the absolute worst.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 07:28 AM)
Alex Jones is the absolute worst.

My favorite thing he does is when he gets discredited he tells people to look up info online. But the info he points people to online are from discredited websites and newsletters with no validity.

He was on with Stern a month or so ago and it was a good listen with them going back and forth.

Alex Jones isn't even trying, either he's just lazy or he thinks his readers are stupid. For example, if there were Navy SEALs at the bombing, why would they wear hats identifying them during this SUPER SECRET operation?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 08:12 AM)
Alex Jones isn't even trying, either he's just lazy or he thinks his readers are stupid. For example, if there were Navy SEALs at the bombing, why would they wear hats identifying them during this SUPER SECRET operation?

I think he's just literally insane at this point and buys into all of it himself, even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 01:29 PM)
Anywho, federal charges filed against him today, for using a weapon of mass destruction against persons and property in the U.S. resulting in death.

Charges can qualify for the death penalty.

Sorry it took so long for me to comment on this, but this charge bothers me a bit...

If that qualifies for the definition of "weapon of mass destruction", then by that rational, GW actually did find WMD's in Iraq.

Seems like we're being a bit loosey-goosey on the definition of a WMD here.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 11:01 AM)
Sorry it took so long for me to comment on this, but this charge bothers me a bit...

If that qualifies for the definition of "weapon of mass destruction", then by that rational, GW actually did find WMD's in Iraq.

There was discussion of this around the internets yesterday...basically, the version of "Weapon of mass destruction" used in the U.S. legal system is different from the version used colloquially. Here's a summary from a "Wired" piece.

The actual bomb Tsarnaev allegedly constructed and detonated is pretty much the opposite of what people think about when they think “weapon of mass destruction,” a vague term that usually means a weapon carrying an unconventional payload, like a nuclear, chemical or biological yield. The FBI affiant, Special Agent Daniel Genck, confirms the bombs used pressure cookers for their hulls — “of the same brand” — packed with “low grade explosive” containing BBs and nails and a “green hobby fuse.”

Bashar Assad’s chemical arsenal this ain’t. But, as Danger Room explained after U.S. citizen and anti-Assad fighter Eric Harroun, faced similar charges, “weapon of mass destruction” is a very broad category under federal law. Grenades, mines, missiles and rockets all apply. So do homemade bombs of the sort Tsarnaev allegedly constructed. About all that doesn’t apply are firearms and pyrotechnics gear. No one ever said the law had to coincide with military terminology.

We’ve argued all this helps speak to the definitional absurdity surrounding “weapons of mass destruction,” and indicates the infamous term ought to be retired, replaced instead by the specifics of what an explosive actually is or does. None of that bears on Tsarnaev’s case.

But Genck’s affidavit shows that the type of bomb that killed three and wounded approximately 180 at the Boston Marathon April 15 also helped build the government’s case against Tsarnaev. The explosive devices used at the scene of Friday morning’s wild Watertown battle between the brothers and police aligned with the composition of those used at the Marathon, down to the “green-colored hobby fuse.” And while the accused bomber was in the hospital yesterday, the FBI searched his University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth dormitory, the affidavit states, and found “a large pyrotechnic, a black jacket and a white hat” similar to the kind Suspect Two wore on the surveillance footage of the Marathon that agents watched.

Tsarnaev is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. There appears to be no similar redress scheduled for the way in which the law contorts a common-sense meaning of an already vague term about some of the world’s deadliest weapons.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 10:01 AM)

I liked that they had to jump through the interstate commerce hoops too.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 11:28 AM)
http://news.yahoo.com/reddits-boston-bombe...-225823288.html

Shocking, Reddit now admitting that starting witch hunt not very smart.

Welcome to the 18th century?

This is kind of inaccurate, as Reddit was not responsible for the subreddit nor did any Reddit representative start it. That's like blaming Facebook for Facebook Pages' content.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 12:27 PM)
This is kind of inaccurate, as Reddit was not responsible for the subreddit nor did any Reddit representative start it. That's like blaming Facebook for Facebook Pages' content.

When they say Reddit in this context, they mean the Reddit community.

They're not blaming the founders/owners of Reddit, as you appear to have misunderstood.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 12:27 PM)

Its up to the owner of Reddit/Facebook to handle their own content.

At the end of the day, they are making money from the hits, views, advertisements, they have a responsibility.

Just like a newspaper has a responsibility for an op ed.

At any point the owners of Reddit could have closed or deleted the thread. They are responsible.

Y2hh,

That is also true the article wasnt really blaming the owners. But at the same time, there should be some responsibility if you are going to be profiting off of this type of stuff.

Edited by Soxbadger