Explosions at end of Boston Marathon

IlliniKrush

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 03:08 PM)
Its up to the owner of Reddit/Facebook to handle their own content.

At the end of the day, they are making money from the hits, views, advertisements, they have a responsibility.

Just like a newspaper has a responsibility for an op ed.

At any point the owners of Reddit could have closed or deleted the thread. They are responsible.

If the crowd-sourcing had actually picked the right person, you better you better you bet they'd be all over that too.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 02:08 PM)
Its up to the owner of Reddit/Facebook to handle their own content.

At the end of the day, they are making money from the hits, views, advertisements, they have a responsibility.

Just like a newspaper has a responsibility for an op ed.

At any point the owners of Reddit could have closed or deleted the thread. They are responsible.

Y2hh,

That is also true the article wasnt really blaming the owners. But at the same time, there should be some responsibility if you are going to be profiting off of this type of stuff.

I understand your point, but when it comes to Reddit, this is the type of medium/forum it is. It's a user based community, what is printed on Reddit should be scrutinized by the reader, not reprinted as fact. This is more the fault of media outlets treating Reddit as fact checked sourced material.

The community itself refers to itself as "Reddit", for example:

Dear Reddit, loosely translates to "Dear everyone on Reddit,"

A "Redditor" is a citizen/user of Reddit.

An "Orangered" is a super cool Reddit user, while a "Periwinkle" is a f***face loser. This is an inside Reddit joke only a Redditor will get.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 02:17 PM)
I understand your point, but when it comes to Reddit, this is the type of medium/forum it is. It's a user based community, what is printed on Reddit should be scrutinized by the reader, not reprinted as fact. This is more the fault of media outlets treating Reddit as fact checked sourced material.

The community itself refers to itself as "Reddit", for example:

Dear Reddit, loosely translates to "Dear everyone on Reddit,"

A "Redditor" is a citizen/user of Reddit.

It doesnt need to be reprinted. Simply printing nonsense on Reddit should result in potential liability for Reddit if they do not use reasonable means to remove it.

You just cant simply argue "Aint nobody got time for that"

Well if you dont have time to moderate your business, dont start it. But Reddit has no problem making money off of this, so they should have no problem moderating their content.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 02:24 PM)
It doesnt need to be reprinted. Simply printing nonsense on Reddit should result in potential liability for Reddit if they do not use reasonable means to remove it.

You just cant simply argue "Aint nobody got time for that"

Well if you dont have time to moderate your business, dont start it. But Reddit has no problem making money off of this, so they should have no problem moderating their content.

Again, it's a user forum, not a fact based source hard news website.

They should have no more liability than a comedian would have for making a joke about killing someone, or than someone on Soxtalk saying Die, Ozzie, die!@#$!@, either...

This is what happens when legit organizations take the word of a person off the street, which is essentially Reddit in this case. I don't see your point, whatsoever, not when it comes to what this is.

It's a f***ing huge user forum. What responsibility? The only responsibility here are hard news organizations shouldn't be taking something someone posted on Reddit and re-printing it as fact, without bothering to check.

Reddit was instantly deleting anything to do with the missing Brown kid (this was amusing to watch in itself. New threads were gone the second you hit refresh)and eventually abolished their entire discussion forum on the Boston case. Not really more they could have there IMO. Ia

also don't think a lot of people understand what Reddit is.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 02:30 PM)
Reddit was instantly deleting anything to do with the missing Brown kid (this was amusing to watch in itself. New threads were gone the second you hit refresh)and eventually abolished their entire discussion forum on the Boston case. Not really more they could have there IMO.

They do what they can, but some times things are going to slip through...it's just a user forum.

Maybe people should stop taking things like user forums so damn seriously. People need to treat these things as what they are, instead of treating them as gospel, etc...it's just people stating opinions. Treat it as such.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 07:32 PM)
They do what they can, but some times things are going to slip through...it's just a user forum.

Maybe people should stop taking things like user forums so damn seriously. People need to treat these things as what they are, instead of treating them as gospel, etc...it's just people stating opinions. Treat it as such.

I hate reddit personally. I think it is an awful website filled with the smuggest of the smug, at least the defaults are. I just find it odd people are going to attack them here as opposed to Twitter, which has 100x volume, 0 moderation and made discussion about the missing kid a very hot topic. And no I'm not going to bash Twitter here either, just found it interesting what people are citing as stories.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 02:39 PM)
I hate reddit personally. I think it is an awful website filled with the smuggest of the smug, at least the defaults are. I just find it odd people are going to attack them here as opposed to Twitter, which has 100x volume, 0 moderation and made discussion about the missing kid a very hot topic. And no I'm not going to bash Twitter here either, just found it interesting what people are citing as stories.

I agree.

I use Reddit, but I'm on specific sub-forums, and I hide annoying ones, like r/Politics, and r/(anything Religious). For the most part, the Reddit community sucks...it's a hivemind of dumb.

Relevant

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/art...10304/index.htm

How about you stop worrying about [Reddit]'s potential legal problems? It would also be appreciated if you would lay off people who try and contribute information to [Reddit] that may not be out there in the main stream media. Sometimes, this type of info is correct and sometimes it's not. That's the nature of the beast."

Trying to control what is said in forums is difficult. We have only so much control, but at the same time, trying to crack open a case creates publicity too. And since Reddit/4Chan tried to do that, how much traffic do you think they got?

Yes, I'm sure they are trying to exonerate themselves from this mess, and they will, but, ethics aside, I don't think they minded all the publicity.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 07:45 PM)
Relevant

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/art...10304/index.htm

Trying to control what is said in forums is difficult. We have only so much control, but at the same time, trying to crack open a case creates publicity too. And since Reddit/4Chan tried to do that, how much traffic do you think they got?

Yes, I'm sure they are trying to exonerate themselves from this mess, and they will, but, ethics aside, I don't think they minded all the publicity.

Haha, I was actually going to post that quote. It is a good one.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 02:29 PM)
Again, it's a user forum, not a fact based source hard news website.

They should have no more liability than a comedian would have for making a joke about killing someone, or than someone on Soxtalk saying Die, Ozzie, die!@#$!@, either...

This is what happens when legit organizations take the word of a person off the street, which is essentially Reddit in this case. I don't see your point, whatsoever, not when it comes to what this is.

It's a f***ing huge user forum. What responsibility? The only responsibility here are hard news organizations shouldn't be taking something someone posted on Reddit and re-printing it as fact, without bothering to check.

Okay you are comparing apples and oranges.

A joke on Reddit would have the exact same liability as a joke on tv, a joke on Soxtalk or a joke on the radio.

Now lets compare starting a witch hunt based on pictures and theories. It should have the same liability if I did it on tv, if I did it on the radio, if I did it in a newspaper or if I did it on Soxtalk.

Reddit should fall under the same laws that we all do. if I as an individual do not have that right, then I dont magically get it because Im posting anonymously on the internet.

If its defamation/slander it doesnt matter if its on Reddit, it doesnt matter if its something I said in my house to 2 other people.

The publisher of defamation/slander can be held liable, Reddit is the publisher, re-publisher or disseminator, this is not ground breaking.

http://nationalparalegal.edu/public_docume...Defamation1.asp

Now you could argue that this was all just "opinion" and therefore outside of defamation/slander. You dont have to be a "fact based news source" to slander/defame. You can be a single person.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 02:54 PM)
Okay you are comparing apples and oranges.

A joke on Reddit would have the exact same liability as a joke on tv, a joke on Soxtalk or a joke on the radio.

Now lets compare starting a witch hunt based on pictures and theories. It should have the same liability if I did it on tv, if I did it on the radio, if I did it in a newspaper or if I did it on Soxtalk.

Reddit should fall under the same laws that we all do. if I as an individual do not have that right, then I dont magically get it because Im posting anonymously on the internet.

If its defamation/slander it doesnt matter if its on Reddit, it doesnt matter if its something I said in my house to 2 other people.

The publisher of defamation/slander can be held liable, Reddit is the publisher, re-publisher or disseminator, this is not ground breaking.

http://nationalparalegal.edu/public_docume...Defamation1.asp

Now you could argue that this was all just "opinion" and therefore outside of defamation/slander. You dont have to be a "fact based news source" to slander/defame. You can be a single person.

Same would have to be said of Twitter, and the rest of them, too...they were all doing it, let's not single out Reddit since the media decided to be careless with it's power.

You cant compare a rumor about professional athletes being traded.

That would almost never be considered slander/defamation in any circumstance. They are public figures and therefore the law is extremely different.

In comparison the people in the pictures on Reddit, were just ordinary people, and therefore the requirements are much lower.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 02:56 PM)
Same would have to be said of Twitter, and the rest of them, too...they were all doing it, let's not single out Reddit since the media decided to be careless with it's power.

Ive never said nor indicated that the exact same rules would not apply to twitter. They do. I was just focusing on Reddit because that was the argument.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 02:56 PM)
You cant compare a rumor about professional athletes being traded.

That would almost never be considered slander/defamation in any circumstance. They are public figures and therefore the law is extremely different.

In comparison the people in the pictures on Reddit, were just ordinary people, and therefore the requirements are much lower.

This is being caused by the over proliferation of social media, and peoples inability to handle it. The fact that the world largely doesn't understand social media, or the need to slow the f*** down and stop believing everything it reads simply because some unknown idiot posted it on Reddit, 4Chan, Twitter, Facebook, or thousands of other such forms of social media.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)
This is being caused by the over proliferation of social media, and peoples inability to handle it. The fact that the world largely doesn't understand social media, or the need to slow the f*** down and stop believing everything it reads simply because some unknown idiot posted it on Reddit, 4Chan, Twitter, Facebook, or thousands of other such forms of social media.

Y2hh,

The part you seem to be missing, is that those unknown idiots would be liable if they walked around the town making defamatory statements, etc.

Its up to the individual to not start the witch hunt in the first place. Those are the people who are most responsible. But every other person who shared it, linked it, and disseminated it, also shares in the responsibility.

Now the responsibilities drastically are reduced when it goes from publisher, to re-publisher to disseminator.

The question for the future is who is a publisher, re-publisher and disseminator when it comes to the internet.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 02:53 PM)
The Boston Globe ‏@BostonGlobe 26m

BREAKING | Source: Marathon bombing suspect admitted that he and brother detonated bombs, killed police officer

so... saying i feel bad for the younger brother isn't exactly what I mean... obviously he deserves every BIT of what he's going to get and then some, but ... damn man I feel like this is just a kid who was obsessed with his older brother, whose parents were back home in wherever, and he just... got f***ed up and corrupted by his only father figure and idol, who it seems was the real mastermind.

f***ed up stuff. ugh.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 04:07 PM)
Y2hh,

The part you seem to be missing, is that those unknown idiots would be liable if they walked around the town making defamatory statements, etc.

Its up to the individual to not start the witch hunt in the first place. Those are the people who are most responsible. But every other person who shared it, linked it, and disseminated it, also shares in the responsibility.

Now the responsibilities drastically are reduced when it goes from publisher, to re-publisher to disseminator.

The question for the future is who is a publisher, re-publisher and disseminator when it comes to the internet.

Does anyone actually have standing to bring a case against anyone here other than the guys who were featured in the NY Post?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 03:08 PM)
Does anyone actually have standing to bring a case against anyone here other than the guys who were featured in the NY Post?

Those would likely be the only people who could really show damages.

That is the other part, people actually have to be damaged. Generally internet nonsense doesnt result in tangible damages.

But in this case, being alleged to be a terrorist, actually being brought in for questioning, I think most would agree that is going to damage your reputation.

That is why most of the time (maybe even 90%+) it doesnt matter. Its just when it comes to matters like this, you need to use a bit more tact/common sense before you parade around like you are the next Sherlock Holmes.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 04:14 PM)
Those would likely be the only people who could really show damages.

That is the other part, people actually have to be damaged. Generally internet nonsense doesnt result in tangible damages.

But in this case, being alleged to be a terrorist, actually being brought in for questioning, I think most would agree that is going to damage your reputation.

That is why most of the time (maybe even 90%+) it doesnt matter. Its just when it comes to matters like this, you need to use a bit more tact/common sense before you parade around like you are the next Sherlock Holmes.

But wouldn't the only reason why someone would be brought in for questioning be that the police wanted to question them, not that the police were watching Reddit?

I can see how the guys who had their picture on the NY Post could make a case for damages if they weren't being brought in for questioning, but if a random person's picture showed up on Reddit and people speculated that they were looking the wrong way, that's a rough case to prove damages.