Explosions at end of Boston Marathon

IlliniKrush

Prayers to all the good people who helped others and to all the victims and their families.

Biggest impact of this: Impact on lives of those affected/killed. Tragic. Sad. Awful.

Secondary impact: This occurred at a sporting event. Good luck attending sporting events in the future with increased security. There's no solution to stuff like this. I'm very surprised we haven't had a major tragedy inside an arena with 80 to 100000 people yet. The day that happens may change sports forever. Many will just watch the games on TV rather than risk going to them.

From what I've read it's inspiring how many people help other people in this latest tragedy There is more good than evil as somebody printed on this thread.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm no terrorist, but wouldn't Al-Qaeda WANT to claim any event like this as their own? Isn't a perfect scenario for them one in which they can credit for an American attack, become feared and perceived as powerful and still relevant, and yet they didn't have to do anything at all? It just seems to me that we can't believe them if they claim they were responsible for this.

If AQ or no other foreign group claims this in the next day or so, then that makes me think it was domestic.

QUOTE (God Loves The Infantry @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 01:53 AM)
Do you react the same way to a kid who fatally overdoses on heroin as you do to a kid who gets gunned down on his way to school in a rough part of town?

I don't value one life over the other. Both are horribly tragic. But the second kid wasn't involved in activities that led to his own death. The first kid did. That, combined with the instant publicity of terrorism and a major public event like this marathon, elicits greater emotions and reactions amongst people, amongst leaders and amongst the media.

This. Anytime a life is lost early it is horribly tragic. For me, I think Boston hit me hard because I am a runner. The beauty of the larger races is how open they are. You run down the street and thousands of people are out spectating, high fiving runners. And Boston is like the Super Bowl of marathoning. There are two ways to run that race. Either as one of a limited number of charity runners, or by running a marathon within the previous couple years (2 or 3?) within a certain qualifying time. It's an event that has no political agenda. It's an event that welcomes runners from all over the world. It's an event that has people running for causes. And it's an open event that is impossible to police.

A number of people compared an event like this to a football or baseball game, and they are comparable in that a sport was targeted. But in a contained area like a Sox game at the Cell, they can check every person that comes in with ramped up security. They can't do that at a race.

I'm running a half marathon in Champaign in two weekends. Even though it doesn't hold the international significance of Boston, what happened yesterday will absolutely be in the back of my mind as I interact with spectators on the course. And that, to me, is tragic.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 02:51 PM)
The Governor now says that were NO unexploded bombs found, just the two that went off.

I'm not surprised at all by this. I found those claims to be the most likely to be fudged in the haze.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 08:07 AM)
This. Anytime a life is lost early it is horribly tragic. For me, I think Boston hit me hard because I am a runner. The beauty of the larger races is how open they are. You run down the street and thousands of people are out spectating, high fiving runners. And Boston is like the Super Bowl of marathoning. There are two ways to run that race. Either as one of a limited number of charity runners, or by running a marathon within the previous couple years (2 or 3?) within a certain qualifying time. It's an event that has no political agenda. It's an event that welcomes runners from all over the world. It's an event that has people running for causes. And it's an open event that is impossible to police.

A number of people compared an event like this to a football or baseball game, and they are comparable in that a sport was targeted. But in a contained area like a Sox game at the Cell, they can check every person that comes in with ramped up security. They can't do that at a race.

I'm running a half marathon in Champaign in two weekends. Even though it doesn't hold the international significance of Boston, what happened yesterday will absolutely be in the back of my mind as I interact with spectators on the course. And that, to me, is tragic.

I feel exactly the same way. I'm training for a marathon and that 4:09 mark is eerily close to the pace that I'm training for.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 15, 2013 -> 10:17 PM)
yeah no. what's the point of reporting that if they guy's not in custody?

Because it's noteworthy that the authorities have found someone they think is worth guarding? All the major networks (and the NY Post!) reported it. Your rush to blame this on racism, or even worse, fear-mongering, was an overreaction and completely unnecessary.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 02:25 AM)
Prayers to all the good people who helped others and to all the victims and their families.

Biggest impact of this: Impact on lives of those affected/killed. Tragic. Sad. Awful.

Secondary impact: This occurred at a sporting event. Good luck attending sporting events in the future with increased security. There's no solution to stuff like this. I'm very surprised we haven't had a major tragedy inside an arena with 80 to 100000 people yet. The day that happens may change sports forever. Many will just watch the games on TV rather than risk going to them.

From what I've read it's inspiring how many people help other people in this latest tragedy There is more good than evil as somebody printed on this thread.

Meh, the same was said after 9/11 and people still go to games. Security will be tighter for the next few months, and then it'll go back to normal. I'm not sure why people freak out so much about this stuff when your odds of being a victim of a terrorist attack are much lower than being hit by a car, being in an airplane crash, etc.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 11:19 AM)
Meh, the same was said after 9/11 and people still go to games. Security will be tighter for the next few months, and then it'll go back to normal. I'm not sure why people freak out so much about this stuff when your odds of being a victim of a terrorist attack are much lower than being hit by a car, being in an airplane crash, etc.

Its alot harder to bring in a backpack bomb at a sporting event.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 03:08 PM)
Marathons are tough, because people have to bring and leave bags, by the very nature of the event. You can't take stuff with you.

It's also going to be nearly impossible to secure a 26 mile route. How many trash cans are passed in a major city over 26 miles?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 02:10 PM)
It's also going to be nearly impossible to secure a 26 mile route. How many trash cans are passed in a major city over 26 miles?

A s***load. The chicago marathon goes by my street twice and there are people milling about left and right with virtually nothing holding them back from jumping in the race or anything of the sort. Now you cant get anywhere near the finish these days but the course itself is not secure whatsoever.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 01:15 PM)
A s***load. The chicago marathon goes by my street twice and there are people milling about left and right with virtually nothing holding them back from jumping in the race or anything of the sort. Now you cant get anywhere near the finish these days but the course itself is not secure whatsoever.

Kenny Moore, who finished 4th at the Munich Olympic Marathon in '72, wrote an article in Runner's World last year about that marathon (can't find it online to link), but he wrote that there were significant security concerns on the course after the terrorist attack on the Israeli athletes because the course could not be secured. Thought about that yesterday when I heard about the explosions...

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 10:54 AM)
Because it's noteworthy that the authorities have found someone they think is worth guarding? All the major networks (and the NY Post!) reported it. Your rush to blame this on racism, or even worse, fear-mongering, was an overreaction and completely unnecessary.

Let's not let the NY Post off the hook for their horrendously s***ty "reporting" yesterday.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/16/n..._n_3092814.html

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 10:05 PM)
So of of curiousity, at what age would you talk to your children about what happened yesterday?

I wonder at what age school teachers address the issue?

I'd say second grade.

Problem is if a school teacher addressed the issue, he/she might have to delve into personal opinion about good/evil; God/man and that wouldn't work. Seriously, how do teachers address this? Cause ultimately you'd have to probably address the issue of evil or evil people. I think a second grader is old enough though, to be told about the fact there are people in the world out to hurt others and we must make sure to protect ourselves from those people the best we can; not speaking with strangers unless mom and dad are there, etc.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 05:22 PM)
I wonder at what age school teachers address the issue?

I'd say second grade.

Problem is if a school teacher addressed the issue, he/she might have to delve into personal opinion about good/evil; God/man and that wouldn't work. Seriously, how do teachers address this? Cause ultimately you'd have to probably address the issue of evil or evil people.

I remember my teacher on 9/11 immediately speculated that it was "suicide sickos" after the first tower was hit.

She then led us in prayer.

At my public school.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 10:24 PM)
I remember my teacher on 9/11 immediately speculated that it was "suicide sickos" after the first tower was hit.

She then led us in prayer.

At my public school.

That is awesome. I wonder if teacher coulda got in trouble if any of the children told their parents they prayed.

I don't want to be the one that flings this thread into the Filibuster, but I ran across this...

"They can give me a cavity search right now and I'd be perfectly happy," said Daniel Wood, a video producer from New York City who was waiting for a train.

...and threw up in my mouth. Absurd. You are whats wrong with the world, Daniel Wood.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 06:37 PM)
I don't want to be the one that flings this thread into the Filibuster, but I ran across this...

...and threw up in my mouth. Absurd. You are whats wrong with the world, Daniel Wood.

i agree, that guy is stupid and is overreacting. but we need to consider a pressure cooker ban. at the very least, extensive background checks for pressure cooker purchases.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 06:05 PM)
What age were you?

Junior High aged. I had been forced to pray so many times throughout my public school career that I was shocked to eventually learn that it wasn't allowed.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 05:05 PM)
So of of curiousity, at what age would you talk to your children about what happened yesterday?

I got home from work to my 3-month old last night and just thought how awful it's gonna be when I have to explain to her why stuff like that happens in the world.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 05:25 PM)
That is awesome. I wonder if teacher coulda got in trouble if any of the children told their parents they prayed.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 08:50 PM)
Junior High aged. I had been forced to pray so many times throughout my public school career that I was shocked to eventually learn that it wasn't allowed.

Don't worry Jake it's awesome.