Top 8 Dark Horses for 2013

QuickJones81

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Apr 15, 2013 -> 09:41 PM)
Here is my personal Top 8 Dark Horse guys who are seemingly off of the radar now, but could crash the top 20, or even top 10 by year's end:

1. Micah Johnson

2. Kevin Vance

3. Jason Coats

4. Myles Jaye

5. Terance Marin

6. Sammy Ayala

7. Eric Grabe

8. Braulio Ortiz

I like your list! Hope to see all those guys make an impact this year!

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Apr 15, 2013 -> 10:20 PM)
1. Scott Ruffcorn.

2. Aaron Poreda

3. Jason Stumm

4. Jon Gilmore

5. Jason Dellaero

6. Brent Morel

7. Joe Borchard

8. Lance Broadway

9. Kyle McCullough

10. Matt Ginter

Player development remains a White Sox strength

You named one player who has been drafted in the last 5 years. This post comes off as nothing more than bitter and angry. Maybe you should smile and it will brighten your day, and then you'll remember Chris Sale, Addison Reed, Nate Jones, Chris Young, Chris Carter, Gio Gonzalez, and a few others with assorted success here and there around the majors and then realize that, over the last 5 years, the White Sox developmental team has gotten quite a bit better.

Or keep ruminating about failed prospects from 10 years ago, proving your entire point is to trash the White Sox system even when it's baseless projections.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 08:24 AM)
You named one player who has been drafted in the last 5 years. This post comes off as nothing more than bitter and angry. Maybe you should smile and it will brighten your day, and then you'll remember Chris Sale, Addison Reed, Nate Jones, Chris Young, Chris Carter, Gio Gonzalez, and a few others with assorted success here and there around the majors and then realize that, over the last 5 years, the White Sox developmental team has gotten quite a bit better.

Or keep ruminating about failed prospects from 10 years ago, proving your entire point is to trash the White Sox system even when it's baseless projections.

Not to mention that we could make a list of failed prospects from every single organization in baseball.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 15, 2013 -> 09:51 PM)
I'll pick my same dark horses from last year.....Myles Jaye and Andy Wilkins, also, Spencer Arroyo for the hell of it.

You didn't pick Jaye. You picked the same two guys this year. :lol:

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 12:55 AM)
Spencer Arroyo, and my AAP Andy Wilkins.

Back in your JoeCoolMan24 days.

Edited by SoxAce

Breakout prospects tend to form in the lower levels due to age (explains why there are many lower level prospects mentioned)

1. Micah Johnson (great stats, potential SAL All-Star, drafted 9th round but fell due to injury, top 100 draft prospect)

2. Myles Jaye (repeating Sally League and destroying hitters)

3. Kale Kiser (Had very successful 2012 summer, hot start to 2013, Great contact, speed, and arm)

4. Jason Coats (Top draft prospect back in last June, but fell due to torn ACL)

5. Chris Curley (Old for level, WS, but continues to tear up league)

6. Sammy Ayala (Must wait for June to start but can move fast through the system football background, Top 200 2012 Draft prospects, decent defense, power potential)

7. Kyle Hansen (must get healthy, but can be potential starter)

8. Braulio Ortiz/ Daniel Webb (both have dominated relief roles so far at lower levels)

Edited by ChiSoxJon

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 06:35 PM)
Breakout prospects tend to form in the lower levels due to age (explains why there are many lower level prospects mentioned)

1. Micah Johnson (great stats, potential All-Star, drafted 9th round but fell due to injury, top 100 prospect)

2. Myles Jaye (repeating Sally League and destroying hitters)

3. Kale Kiser (Had very successful 2012 summer, hot start to 2013, Great contact, speed, and arm)

4. Jason Coats (Top draft prospect back in last June, but fell due to torn ACL)

5. Chris Curley (Old for level, WS, but continues to tear up league)

6. Sammy Ayala (Must wait for June to start but can move fast through the system football background, Top 200 2012 Draft prospects, decent defense, power potential)

7. Kyle Hansen (must get healthy, but can be potential starter)

8. Braulio Ortiz/ Daniel Webb (both have dominated relief roles so far at lower levels)

That is a very aggressive view on Micah Johnson. Potential all-star? Top 100 prospect? I hope you are right, and I do think he breaks into the team's Top 25 soon, but I wouldn't go nearly that far. I hope you are right.

I'll have to put a list up here myself soon.

My Top 8 breakout guys for this year...

Micah Johnson

Marcus Semien (he's already been noticed, but I think he runs well up the rankings this year)

Euclides Leyer

Brandon Webb

Mark Haddow

Taylor Thompson

Kyle Hansen (in extended ST still)

Jason Coats

Not sure of that order, but those are the names I think you'll see jump as the season goes on.

And for fun, the ranked guys I think will fall off this year: Molina (duh), Olacio, Leesman, Santos Rodriguez, Ravelo.

And, not a breakout candidate, but I really think Beck is going to make a lot of noise this year. Should be a Top 5 guy by end of season.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 02:05 PM)
Semien may be a bit underrated around here. Seems like he can do a little bit of everything offensively. Haven't heard much about his defense though.

AA will be the real test for him, as we've seen many positional prospects stumble in Birmingham. So far so good though.

I agree on being underrated. He's doing pertty well so far in AA: hitting .333, has shown some pop last year, and he has 7 walks versus just 3 K's in over 50 PA thus far in AA. Defensive reports are positive, in fact he was considered stronger with the glove than the bat. He's at SS and they moved Saladino to 2B, which should tell you something. He's got a little speed but isn't refined on the basepaths yet. I doubt he hits .333 for long in AA, but so far, he looks pretty damn good for all those tools, and he's only 22 in AA so he's a bit on the young side for his league.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 11:58 AM)
That is a very aggressive view on Micah Johnson. Potential all-star? Top 100 prospect? I hope you are right, and I do think he breaks into the team's Top 25 soon, but I wouldn't go nearly that far. I hope you are right.

I'll have to put a list up here myself soon.

My bad, I meant Sally League All-Star and Top 100 2012 MLB Draft prospect, I'm not that foolish, my bad

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 06:15 PM)
I agree, this sub-forum absolutely kills the one over at WSI.

What is the criteria for a "dark horse"?

I'm guessing guys that fall out of things like top draft picks and Top 25 organizational types.

Oh and welcome to Soxtalk!