4/16 Games

flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 11:20 AM)
Carlos Sanchez with a single.

Depending on how things go the next couple weeks, I wouldn't mind if he played 2B for the Sox everyday until Beckham comes off the DL.

Over Keppinger? Dude is 10/31 on the road trip. There's absolutely no reason to rush Sanchez and start his arbitration clock.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 12:00 PM)
Over Keppinger? Dude is 10/31 on the road trip. There's absolutely no reason to rush Sanchez and start his arbitration clock.

I really don't care about that arb clock stuff. I just don't. Chris Sale got brought up a month after he signed, and we're all pretty happy with him.

As far as Keppinger--he can play 3B, 2B, 1B, DH. And really, he shouldn't play every day anyway. Maybe 3 out of 4 days.

I think if the team just tanks the next couple weeks and Sanchez continues to do good things, give him May in the big leagues while Beckham is gone.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 12:16 PM)
I really don't care about that arb clock stuff. I just don't. Chris Sale got brought up a month after he signed, and we're all pretty happy with him.

As far as Keppinger--he can play 3B, 2B, 1B, DH. And really, he shouldn't play every day anyway. Maybe 3 out of 4 days.

I think if the team just tanks the next couple weeks and Sanchez continues to do good things, give him May in the big leagues while Beckham is gone.

Why?

If the team is tanking, and you think the season is a lost cause, then you might as well develop Sanchez until at least any moves at the trade deadline. But if you think the team can still compete, you clearly need to go with Keppinger, who has proven he can hit pretty well in the majors. Either way, bringing up Sanchez now or in May makes little sense.

You realize that Carlos Sanchez is 20 years old right? That this is only his third season in America? We've already been incredibly aggressive with him, let him spend a few months in AAA and continue to develop without the pressures of being in the big leagues. It's not like he's a finished product. What does he or the Sox gain from a one month callup?

As for Sale, it's not like we lost a year of abritration because of the initial callup. Regardless, not caring about a young player's service time is very short-sighted. You always want to turn your good young players into 6 1/2 years of service time if possible (unless they can help you win) rather than 5 1/2 to 6 years. There's a reason the Rays do this consistently. Theo & the Cubs are also doing the same thing. There is a lot of surplus value that can be attained if service time is managed correctly.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 12:34 PM)
You realize that Carlos Sanchez is 20 years old right? That this is only his third season in America? We've already been incredibly aggressive with him, let him spend a few months in AAA and continue to develop without the pressures of being in the big leagues. It's not like he's a finished product. What does he or the Sox gain from a one month callup?

As for Sale, it's not like we lost a year of abritration because of the initial callup. Regardless, not caring about a young player's service time is very short-sighted. You always want to turn your good young players into 6 1/2 years of service time if possible (unless they can help you win) rather than 5 1/2 to 6 years. There's a reason the Rays do this consistently. Theo & the Cubs are also doing the same thing. There is a lot of surplus value that can be attained if service time is managed correctly.

Don't care what Theo and the Cubs are doing. For the White Sox the surplus value of service time is inconsequential when the big picture is considered. The Sox paid Chris Sale, they'll pay Carlos Sanchez if he is worthy.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 12:20 PM)
Carlos Sanchez with a single.

Depending on how things go the next couple weeks, I wouldn't mind if he played 2B for the Sox everyday until Beckham comes off the DL.

So you're all for rushing Sanchez up a level but you don't forget to let everyone know every day how awful it is for them to be rushing Hawkins up a level. Gotcha.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 02:23 PM)
So you're all for rushing Sanchez up a level but you don't forget to let everyone know every day how awful it is for them to be rushing Hawkins up a level. Gotcha.

Hawkins is a top prospect. Carlos Sanchez is a fringe utility player. I'm not worried about them rushing him either, because he's not a prospect worth protecting in my opinion.

Weren't you just complaining about Hawkins being too rushed?

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 01:27 PM)
Hawkins is a top prospect. Carlos Sanchez is a fringe utility player. I'm not worried about them rushing him either, because he's not a prospect worth protecting in my opinion.

You are literally the only person I've seen who follows baseball that considers Carlos Sanchez a fringe utility player. He's 20 years old and hitting .300+ with good plate discipline at very advanced levels. He's constantly mentioned among the top prospects in an ever-improving White Sox system and has been as high as #61 in the game lists I've seen.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 12:43 PM)
Don't care what Theo and the Cubs are doing. For the White Sox the surplus value of service time is inconsequential when the big picture is considered. The Sox paid Chris Sale, they'll pay Carlos Sanchez if he is worthy.

So what's the big picture benefit of calling up Carlos Sanchez right now? You don't think the White Sox are capable of winning this year, so unless you think he'll develop faster at the major league level (which makes no sense) I can't see a benefit to waste his service time.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 04:25 PM)
So what's the big picture benefit of calling up Carlos Sanchez right now? You don't think the White Sox are capable of winning this year, so unless you think he'll develop faster at the major league level (which makes no sense) I can't see a benefit to waste his service time.

Not advocating bringing him up right now just saying service time does not matter. That said, he is in AAA so the organization thinks he's close. I don't think they're going to wait until he's 23 or something before he's promoted.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 04:49 PM)
Not advocating bringing him up right now just saying service time does not matter. That said, he is in AAA so the organization thinks he's close. I don't think they're going to wait until he's 23 or something before he's promoted.

How about they wait until he turns 21 in June? We're talking about a kid who's currently hitting .250 in 10 games. I get that our offense has sucked and has been painful to watch, but that is not a good reason to rush a prospect who is probably already the youngest player in AAA. At least give him a few months, make him show he can hit AAA pitching for an extended period of time before calling him.

And I couldn't disagree more about service time not mattering. Giving up a year of control of a good, young player for no reason is definitely stupid. How people can argue otherwise blows my mind. And again, let me reiterate that winning would be a good reason to forego service time. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of other good reasons.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 06:58 PM)
How about they wait until he turns 21 in June? We're talking about a kid who's currently hitting .250 in 10 games. I get that our offense has sucked and has been painful to watch, but that is not a good reason to rush a prospect who is probably already the youngest player in AAA. At least give him a few months, make him show he can hit AAA pitching for an extended period of time before calling him.

And I couldn't disagree more about service time not mattering. Giving up a year of control of a good, young player for no reason is definitely stupid. How people can argue otherwise blows my mind. And again, let me reiterate that winning would be a good reason to forego service time. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of other good reasons.

Especially if you want the team to go into an active rebuilding stage, you want players under control as long as possible.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 06:58 PM)

Service time matters for once-in-a-generation prospects (Harper, Trout.) Should be taken into consideration for elite prospects (Stanton), but for the rest should not matter.

Micah Johnson another productive night when the rest of the lineup was silent. 2 for 3, 2 rbi, and his 12th stolen base of the year.

Brennan had a very disappointing night though. 5.2 ip 10 h 6 er 1 bb 1 k.... ouch

Hopefully Rienzo uses this start to get some momentum turned in the right direction.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 03:07 PM)
You are literally the only person I've seen who follows baseball that considers Carlos Sanchez a fringe utility player. He's 20 years old and hitting .300+ with good plate discipline at very advanced levels. He's constantly mentioned among the top prospects in an ever-improving White Sox system and has been as high as #61 in the game lists I've seen.

I just don't trust he will ever amount to more than a backup or utility infielder type. He doesn't impress me.