Danks to work out with team

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 03:01 PM)
Sick of having news burried in one massive thread. Per Sox radio crew during yesterday's game. This is good news as Danks continues to show progress from his surgery.

Good to know he is progressing well

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 10:01 AM)
Sick of having news burried in one massive thread. Per Sox radio crew during yesterday's game. This is good news as Danks continues to show progress from his surgery.

It was posted in the thread about John Danks recovery.

I know....and I'm sick of having that kind of news burried in another thread, that I may or may not skip over (since most of it is filled with a bunch of crap about how he's done or toast). This is actual news I would care about and its great that I can see it pretty quickly.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 10:01 AM)

Getting a healthy John Danks in this rotation would be amazing.

QUOTE (Cali @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 04:28 PM)
So he can get zero support from the "hitters" in the "offense"?

I just meant more for the fact that the rotation is the bomb. There's nothing wrong with that facet of the ballclub if Danks replaces Axelrod and can somehow show he has value to other ballclubs.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 10:05 PM)
I really hope they don't rush him. Just put a plan in place for him to return in August, and go from there.

I'm not expecting much from him this year, but I think they want him back by June.

Sounds like more extended spring this Friday, and then maybe a few minor league games, whatever they're allowed before being activated.

He'll rush back, and be on the DL again by the break. That's what I'm expecting.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 10:05 PM)
I really hope they don't rush him. Just put a plan in place for him to return in August, and go from there.

If he is healthy and throwing well, what purpose does it serve to keep him in the minors?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 02:56 PM)
Bragging rights for the people who predict every year to be a disaster.

Is there a limit for how many rehab assignments he can make? As for hoping for disaster, starting pitching is easily where the Sox are deepest and I'm more concerned about Danks being able to contribute long term than any short term impact he could make this year. The timetable for his return keeps getting pushed back, and all I was saying is that there's no need at all to rush him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 11:10 AM)
Is there a limit for how many rehab assignments he can make? As for hoping for disaster, starting pitching is easily where the Sox are deepest and I'm more concerned about Danks being able to contribute long term than any short term impact he could make this year. The timetable for his return keeps getting pushed back, and all I was saying is that there's no need at all to rush him.

No, if he starts a rehab assignment there is a time limit on the rehab assignment (I believe that is 30 days), but if he's not ready to be called up at the end of that he can be put back on the disabled list, have a few days off, and then begin another rehab assignment.

They need to be as patient with Danks as possible. If they can get him back and looking like the old John Danks around early June (fingers crossed), then the Sox have more than a month to showcase him for a trade. We're not trading Peavy and with no RHSP depth it would be ridiculous to do it unless he specifically requests out, but trading a healthy John Danks to a team in need of good LHSP could really help this organization a lot, since we could expect a couple good looking pieces in return, a large salary off the books, and then Santiago gets the 5th slot. We'd essentially drop a contract and pick up potential future pieces and all we'd have to do after is ask Hector & Axelrod to swap their current roles, where both are likely to fit much better anyway.