Jeremy Reed

Dick Allen

The Tribune was correct in that it is and has been widely reported that Reed may not be able to handle CF in the Majors. That is not new news and didn't originate with the Trib.

I tend to disagree with those reports to a point. Will he be an elite CF? no..... Will he be able to handle CF more than adequately? yes..... Will he make great plays? count on it..... Will he win Gold Gloves and be Andruw Jones-like in covering groung? nope

Reed has good, but not great speed. His stolen base numbers this year are a bit deceiving because he is playing on teams that have to be aggressive to score runs. He has been thrown out a lot for the Barons, but that is just the style they play. When he gets to the Big Leagues, with MLB catchers, the reigns will be pulled in some.

I'd guess he will end up as a 15-20 SB guy. I would have no qualms putting him in CF at least for the time being.

Keep in mind, that as good as he is doing, the comparisons he gets are of Steve Finley, Darrin Erstad, Rusty Greer, etc. Reed at this point should be looked at as a solid OF for the Sox, but not a perennial all-star.

The Tribune was correct in that it is and has been widely reported that Reed may not be able to handle CF in the Majors.  That is not new news and didn't originate with the Trib.

I tend to disagree with those reports to a point.  Will he be an elite CF?  no.....  Will he be able to handle CF more than adequately? yes.....  Will he make great plays?  count on it..... Will he win Gold Gloves and be Andruw Jones-like in covering groung?  nope

Reed has good, but not great speed.  His stolen base numbers this year are a bit deceiving because he is playing on teams that have to be aggressive to score runs.  He has been thrown out a lot for the Barons, but that is just the style they play.  When he gets to the Big Leagues, with MLB catchers, the reigns will be pulled in some. 

I'd guess he will end up as a 15-20 SB guy.  I would have no qualms putting him in CF at least for the time being. 

Keep in mind, that as good as he is doing, the comparisons he gets are of Steve Finley, Darrin Erstad, Rusty Greer, etc.  Reed at this point should be looked at as a solid OF for the Sox, but not a perennial all-star.

The other two were decent players.......but Rusty Greer......Damn, thats just mean.

Rusty Greer was a damn solid ballplayer. I'll take any of those three guys as a youngster. In fact, the first time I saw Finley play, he was with Baltimore, and I told my father that Finley was going to be a damn good ballplayer, the Sox should go after him. Then they did almost acquire him from the O's at one point. I can't remember why the deal didn't happen, but I was disappointed.

One other note ... a coworker of mine ended his high school career as a pitcher by giving up a home run to .... Steve Finley.