This team is a catastrophe right now

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 09:41 AM)
Fine, attendance is irrelevant.

We should only judge the team on revenues produced/profits made.

Done.

And every season, no worries as we're usually 29th in the majors in attendance heading into May.

In fact, we're way ahead of the Indians.

And the Orioles ONLY drew 11,000+ fans last night, so we weren't dead last in attendance for May 22nd games either.

When exactly were the White Sox a major draw at the box office anyway? After a new stadium was built and after a WS, that's it. Historically their attendance is low, why make a big deal of something staying the same?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 09:41 AM)
Fine, attendance is irrelevant.

We should only judge the team on revenues produced/profits made.

Done.

And every season, no worries as we're usually 29th in the majors in attendance heading into May.

In fact, we're way ahead of the Indians.

And the Orioles ONLY drew 11,000+ fans last night, so we weren't dead last in attendance for May 22nd games either.

How about in a thread b****ing about the team and the teams production, we in fact b**** about the team and the teams production?

Just a thought

QUOTE (oldsox @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 06:39 AM)
FWIW, The Cleve announcers said the Sox lead the majors in swings and misses.

Because they do. They have no patience and bad talent on the MLB squad. I swear the opposition is ALWAYS batting, because the Sox go 1-2-3 so often and when they do get runners on they don't work the count.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 07:52 AM)
Basically, let's see what happens in May. See where we stand on Memorial Day. If the team is still seriously bad like this, then it is time to trade off parts for prospects.

And by the way, yes, I know it is frustrating as hell. We all feel it.

Great points.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 11:37 AM)
This is the earliest in the year that I just can't stay interested in the outcome of games. This is just bad, ugly baseball. I'm a patient man, but this is just garbage. It's not fun to watch, and it's not fun to follow. I hope it gets better.

The hitting almost has to get better. The fundamentals though, they've been so incredibly bad that I wonder if that's just who this team is this year; a team that forgot to practice anything in the spring and will miss the cutoff man 9 times out of 10 the whole year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 10:42 AM)
The hitting almost has to get better. The fundamentals though, they've been so incredibly bad that I wonder if that's just who this team is this year; a team that forgot to practice anything in the spring and will miss the cutoff man 9 times out of 10 the whole year.

The defense, and some fundamental hitting/baserunning stuff, does conern me too. And getting that fixed falls on the coaching staff.

It seems very hard for me to believe that this is "who this team is this year", considering most of the team is the same as last year. The mistakes in the field have been heavily made by the same cast of characters from 2012. What changed?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 10:50 AM)
The defense, and some fundamental hitting/baserunning stuff, does conern me too. And getting that fixed falls on the coaching staff.

It seems very hard for me to believe that this is "who this team is this year", considering most of the team is the same as last year. The mistakes in the field have been heavily made by the same cast of characters from 2012. What changed?

They got a year older. It happens all the time, when you think a team's core has another year left in them they fool you.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 10:50 AM)

What happened to Robin forcing everyone into pre-game defense drills? Does that still happen? I remember Hawk mentioning that they were one of the only teams to do that last year and it was because the staff determined that the fundamentals needed work.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 10:55 AM)
They got a year older. It happens all the time, when you think a team's core has another year left in them they fool you.

I was talking fundamentals. Fielding errors, bad fielding judgement, mental mistakes, poor situational decisions, that sort of thing. That does not fall off a cliff in a year across a team. The age thing might be in play for things like Dunn or Keppinger not hitting, particularly Dunn. It is unlikely it is what is causing the fundamental mistakes. These guys didn't all become senile going from 30 to 31 or the like.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 11:05 AM)
I was talking fundamentals. Fielding errors, bad fielding judgement, mental mistakes, poor situational decisions, that sort of thing. That does not fall off a cliff in a year across a team. The age thing might be in play for things like Dunn or Keppinger not hitting, particularly Dunn. It is unlikely it is what is causing the fundamental mistakes. These guys didn't all become senile going from 30 to 31 or the like.

A year is a long time in baseball life. Teams that are not very good are also not very good at fundementals.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 11:15 AM)
Ventura has to start yanking guys who play like crap. Starting with Dunn and Tekotte.

I see this over and over again, and at this point (at least with Dunn) that makes no sense. Who replaces Dunn? Seth Loman? By the time Loman figures out major league pitching (if he ever does), you're in June at least. Replacing Dunn isn't a good idea, at this point. You work with him to find the 2012 Dunn if you can. If you get to Memorial Day or June and the team is obviously buried, then yeah, you can start doing stuff like that, maybe.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 11:41 AM)
I see this over and over again, and at this point (at least with Dunn) that makes no sense. Who replaces Dunn? Seth Loman? By the time Loman figures out major league pitching (if he ever does), you're in June at least. Replacing Dunn isn't a good idea, at this point. You work with him to find the 2012 Dunn if you can. If you get to Memorial Day or June and the team is obviously buried, then yeah, you can start doing stuff like that, maybe.

I don't care if Dunn plays to be honest but he needs to be moved to the 9th. Maybe that will take some pressure off. He can hit his solo shots and strike out from there. He has done absolutely diddly squat from the 4/5 hole. I think he hit like a 2-run against Seattle and a double for an RBI but he's been pretty useless.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 11:44 AM)
I don't care if Dunn plays to be honest but he needs to be moved to the 9th. Maybe that will take some pressure off. He can hit his solo shots and strike out from there. He has done absolutely diddly squat from the 4/5 hole. I think he hit like a 2-run against Seattle and a double for an RBI but he's been pretty useless.

Still doesn't make sense to me, at this point. If we think Dunn is permanently this bad, then the season is lost anyway, so who cares where he hits? If on the other hand he can figure it out, being in a different slot won't likely matter, and you've then got a weaker middle of the order. And there is no point in abandoning ship this early.

A month or two from now, if he's still scuffling, then all options are on the table - bench, lower in order, trade with money outbound, whatever. But doing it now buys you nothing, and potentially screws the team.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 11:25 AM)
Because they do. They have no patience and bad talent on the MLB squad. I swear the opposition is ALWAYS batting, because the Sox go 1-2-3 so often and when they do get runners on they don't work the count.

So true, Sunday I was watching the game and waiting for MIN to be done batting, commercial comes on, I go upstairs, turn on tv and commercial is still on, whew I made it I think, nah the Sox already batted.....

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 10:47 AM)
If the Sox go 42-26 from here to July 8, all is forgiven.

You can't count on them being a second half team playing the Tigers 19 times the final 75 games.

That's why this slow start is important, and it does matter.

No way this happens btw.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 05:49 AM)
Here's a funny quote...

"It was my fault. I got a little bit too far out there and I shouldn't have put myself in that situation," Tekotte said. "I'll learn from it. I take the blame on that one. I felt like I lost momentum a little bit there for us."

A little? You think?

Just magnified when you don't get many base runners. It will get better