4/24 Games

flavum

I know it's early, but you got to love Semien's season so far.

What's astonishing is that he's cut his K rate from around 20% the last two years to 8% this year. At the same time, he's improved his BB rate each year and is at 15.7% on the season. These rates may not hold at these levels, but even with some regression he still looks like he can be a high AVG/OBP player.

Now his power is down a bit, which should be expected given the bandbox the Dash play in, but it's still at a respectable level. Let's not forgot that Semien is only 22 years old, so his power should continue grow with time.

Overall, you got to be very happy with his offensive production so far and if his defense is even just "good" then he's got to be in consideration for top 10 status in our system.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 25, 2013 -> 01:44 AM)
Can't believe 37 of Hawkins' 55 AB's (not counting walks/hbp) have ended up as K's.

The funniest part is he still has a 720 OPS.

I remember the days when we would have been "pleased as punch" for Brian Anderson to be able to put up a 720 at the major league level.

Now we have BrYan Anderson and Lars Anderson at Charlotte. Wonder what happened to the real Brian Anderson? And how much of his original signing bonus is left?

With Joe Borchard, surely the family was smart enough to invest that $5.3 million...they seemed to be a very down-to-earth, modest, blue collar labor/farming family.

Last I could find, Anderson was released by Dodgers in 2012 and signed by Rockies. Cannot find him on any of their active rosters from A ball on up. That is also where we traded Klauss. Cannot find him either on any Rockie roster.

Edited by MnSoxFan

QUOTE (MnSoxFan @ Apr 25, 2013 -> 08:19 AM)
Last I could find, Anderson was released by Dodgers in 2012 and signed by Rockies. Cannot find him on any of their active rosters from A ball on up. That is also where we traded one of our relievers from AAA, he was originally a NDFA, started with a K but I cannot think of his name. Good stats but probably not great stuff. Cannot find him either on any Rockie roster.

If you mean Brandon Kloess, he's the guy we traded to get Tekotte from SD.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 24, 2013 -> 09:31 PM)
Snodgress, Beck, Castro, Rienzo

No he hasn't. He's struggled in AAA. Snodgress is putting up good numbers in AA, which is the most Rienzo has ever done.

You'd put Castro ahead of Rienzo? Castro just seems like a flop right now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 25, 2013 -> 02:11 PM)
You'd put Castro ahead of Rienzo? Castro just seems like a flop right now.

I don't agree. He's looking better each game, let's see how he does in the next few.

I'd go Snodgress, Castro, Beck, Rienzo right now. But those guys are all pretty close right now in my view, the list could change a lot as the season goes on.

I guess it depends on what order you want too.

I think no matter what, I'm putting Snodgress first. Then, depending upon whether it's ceiling or likeliness to find success as a starter or value or next call up or whatever else, it changes a lot. I think Rienzo and Castro are both worthwhile callups for a spot start or two, but Rienzo could also be a nice arm out of the pen. Beck has the most long-term potential to me and is likeliest to stick as a starter as well.

Just generally speaking, Snodgress, Beck, Rienzo, Castro.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Apr 25, 2013 -> 02:58 PM)
I think it's:

Snodgress, Beck, Riezno, Castro.

I don't believe there is much room for debate either. I think Beck's early numbers and reports push him in front of Riezno.

Agree, and, in fact, I don't think you can even compare Rienzo and Castro to Snodgress and Beck, but maybe that's just my bias towards Rienzo as a reliever long-term. A guy with a fastball/breaking ball combo without much offspeed is so much more likely to end up in the bullpen, and he's got a legit chance to be really successful down there.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Apr 25, 2013 -> 02:58 PM)
I think it's:

Snodgress, Beck, Riezno, Castro.

I don't believe there is much room for debate either. I think Beck's early numbers and reports push him in front of Riezno.

I think you could make an argument for putting them in almost any order, which makes a great debate. Beck has been doing great, especially going directly to High A. But, his peripherals aren't wowwing anyone, and I've now seen a couple scouting types say they didn't see overwhelming stuff. Rienzo has been real good when on and has a very live arm, but we'll see how he does starting this year, and if he can maintain control and get by on 2.5 pitches. Castro is the least flashy, but the closest to ready, has the best variety of pitches he can throw for strikes, and I think he's better than the core results indicate. I don't see any of those four being clearly in front or behind - right now. But they could move around and gap ahead or behind a lot depending on how the rest of this season goes.