Would things be any different under Walker?

caulfield12

QUOTE (Soxfest @ May 2, 2013 -> 12:27 PM)
So glad Walker is gone now he can ruin the Braves young prospects.

Walker may suck in your opinion, but our current hitting coach isn't exactly working wonders. True, the talent is sketchy, but still...

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 6, 2013 -> 04:29 AM)
Greg, have you joined Dick Allen's "Greg Walker Fan Club"?

No, but I never minded Walker.

You know what might make the future interesting on the South Side? LaRussa.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 6, 2013 -> 12:56 AM)
No, but I never minded Walker.

You know what might make the future interesting on the South Side? LaRussa.

They would have to give him complete control.

And, at his age, not sure if he'd have the patience for a 3-5 year project.

It would be one of the biggest, if not THE biggest, contracts for a GM in the majors. Would JR be willing to completely change the way he's done things in order to please someone who might "pull a Piniella" and just walk away?

Would that be the official end of the Harrelson broadcasting era? One would think so.

Not to mention the fact that it wouldn't be entirely fair to Hahn after waiting all this time. That said, Hahn's going to find himself in a box, where the "taint" of his past association with KW is going to make it a bit hard to establish his own identity.

Edited by caulfield12

As I said when everyone wanted to blame Walker for the Sox not scoring runs, if you want a better offense, you better get better hitters. If one guy could make .230 guys with .600 OPS, .300 guys with .900 OPS, their contracts would be bigger than ARod's. A coach does make a difference, but not to the degree many around here seem to think. You could bring the greatest track coach of all time in, it isn't going to make Paulie faster, and it doesn't make him a crappy coach because Paulie didn't get faster. The same applies to hitters. There are limits.

People need to get off the notion that one guy makes that much difference. That one guy is going to ruin an entire team offensively. One thing to keep in mind, there are several guys who pay no attention to the hitting coach.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 8, 2013 -> 06:47 AM)
As I said when everyone wanted to blame Walker for the Sox not scoring runs, if you want a better offense, you better get better hitters. If one guy could make .230 guys with .600 OPS, .300 guys with .900 OPS, their contracts would be bigger than ARod's. A coach does make a difference, but not to the degree many around here seem to think. You could bring the greatest track coach of all time in, it isn't going to make Paulie faster, and it doesn't make him a crappy coach because Paulie didn't get faster. The same applies to hitters. There are limits.

People need to get off the notion that one guy makes that much difference. That one guy is going to ruin an entire team offensively. One thing to keep in mind, there are several guys who pay no attention to the hitting coach.

This I know to be true after a discussion I had once with Butch Hobson, a former player and hitting coach.

For me, blaming the hitting coach is a form of scapegoating and I'm as guilty as anyone. You want someone to blame, simple as that. It's red meat.

I just can't believe how long this slump has endured. People are turning on Rios for his recent woes, but I have to wonder how many good pitches he sees anymore now that teams know he's one of the few capable of doing damage in this lineup.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 2, 2013 -> 02:42 AM)
Words/phrases like "pathetic," "fluke/flake" (for Gillaspie), "we all learned this in Little League," etc.

Essentially, your last post is saying they've basically been average for much of the time period since 2005 (minus 2006 and 2008, when they were clearly above average, as well as 2010 and 2012).

If a team is usually between 78-84 wins every year, the argument is there's no need to exaggerate or use hyperbole to stress your points...that things are not QUITE so dramatic or as dire as they may seem.

Yes, all of this.