Game Thread 4/27: TB @ SOX

cabiness42

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 27, 2013 -> 07:31 PM)
Which is probably the right decision. I'd like Johnson to get more minor league seasoning. He's only pitched 31.0 innings at AA thus far.

But Quintana didn't need more than one month of AA and no AAA, haha.

Wouldn't mind seeing Simon Castro (aka Felix Diaz) get a shot, but it will probably be Santiago.

Veal has to be getting REALLY close to DFA/Charlotte time.

Who's the best option from the LH side? Purcey? Moskos, the kid we picked up from Pitt who was a 1st rounder?

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I can't get too upset about getting shut down by Matt Moore. At least we held him to 6 innings. Great to see Dunn go deep and generally having better ABs. We put Hector in a really tough spot, I'm not going to read much into it. I am hopeful that this will be the beginning of the Hector as starter era.

Adios, Donnie.

What's the deal with Leyson? Might as well give him a look in the near future. Before Gavin went down, I would have said you don't have to have any more lefties...but I don't want Thornton to be our only lefty, as he no longer gets lefties out any better than righties.

"Don't tell me about the will to win. Tell me about the will to prepare."

So many mental/physical/baserunning mistakes this year.

We've gone from Top 1-2-3 defense to near the bottom of the league.

We can't throw out anyone on the basepaths (how many runners have Sox catchers thrown out?).

Hitting with RISP.

Bunting.

Hitting cutoff men and anticipating the "smart" baseball player...so many runners carelessly getting into 2B.

Bad chemistry in the infield now with Beckham out and Keppinger exposed.

It's a perfect tsunami of bad-ness.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 28, 2013 -> 01:35 AM)
Adios, Donnie.

What's the deal with Leyson? Might as well give him a look in the near future. Before Gavin went down, I would have said you don't have to have any more lefties...but I don't want Thornton to be our only lefty, as he no longer gets lefties out any better than righties.

Septimo is just starting a rehab assignment, I believe.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 28, 2013 -> 01:38 AM)
An aside, but if Ervin Santana keeps this up for the Royals, they might actually be pretty decent this season. They have been fun to watch so far.

They're good enough to compete for a WC spot, but still think it's the Tigers division to lose. KC is so much deeper this year than they were last year though.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 27, 2013 -> 08:38 PM)
An aside, but if Ervin Santana keeps this up for the Royals, they might actually be pretty decent this season. They have been fun to watch so far.

If they stay healthy, they'll be in the wildcard race.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 27, 2013 -> 07:40 PM)
They're good enough to compete for a WC spot, but still think it's the Tigers division to lose. KC is so much deeper this year than they were last year though.

Depends on Moustakas, Hosmer and the back end of the rotation.

So far, so good. They've stood up in the face of some good competition and held their own til this point.

Tampa 3B Longoria is a stud. Everytime I see him I think back to when he was drafted and the Colorado Rockies had a shot at him, but they passed and took some pitcher # 1, and he never panned out. When questioned about it a few years later, Rockie's GM Dan O'Dowd admitted his mistake and explained that he passed on Longoria so that he would not hurt the feelings of Ian Stewart, who was then a highly regarded prospect. Don't know how he (O'Dowd) kept his job. Tampa, of course, took Longoria on the very next pick.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Apr 27, 2013 -> 08:44 PM)
Tampa 3B Longoria is a stud. Everytime I see him I think back to when he was drafted and the Colorado Rockies had a shot at him, but they passed and took some pitcher # 1, and he never panned out. When questioned about it a few years later, Rockie's GM Dan O'Dowd admitted his mistake and explained that he passed on Longoria so that he would not hurt the feelings of Ian Stewart, who was then a highly regarded prospect. Don't know how he (O'Dowd) kept his job. Tampa, of course, took Longoria on the very next pick.

His numbers in Colorado would be huge.