Gavin Floyd to DL - Out 14-19 months for TJ Surgery

Balta1701

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, in hindsight, with the team getting back about $3.5-4.5 million for Floyd...he might be worth more to the organization as an insurance claim than whatever they could have received for him in trade the way he was pitching.

Something to think about.

Of course, it really depends on what they do with that "savings." Since he won't bring an actual trade return, it's much more difficult to see how the organization is benefitted...other than giving Axelrod/Quintana/Santiago more time to prove themselves for the future.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 3, 2013 -> 05:54 PM)
Most pitchers are back throwing in games around 12 months and then ~18 months plus back to ~ normal (or sometimes even stronger) with this surgery, so it's possible he could set a goal of opening day next year and hit it.

Of course, if he signed with the White Sox again, he'd hurt his arm while signing the contract and that'd be it for next year.

Doctor's can work miracles nowadays so they would have him back up and winning in no time

QUOTE (staxx @ May 3, 2013 -> 04:35 PM)
There's a chance he may not pitch even next year.

Like we said, it's a 12-18 month rehab. Most guys are throwing at around 12 months and can compete in games and are fully back by 18 months.

This isn't Derrick Rose we're talking about. At worst he ought to be pitching in minor league games early next season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 3, 2013 -> 03:37 PM)
Like we said, it's a 12-18 month rehab. Most guys are throwing at around 12 months and can compete in games and are fully back by 18 months.

This isn't Derrick Rose we're talking about. At worst he ought to be pitching in minor league games early next season.

Yep, Throwing begins around 9 months.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2013 -> 06:04 PM)
I wouldn't have guessed this in a million years.

Christopher Kamka ‏@ckamka 19m

39 pitchers have thrown 1000+ IP in a #WhiteSox uniform. The best K/9IP of them belongs to Gavin Floyd (7.15).

boom goes the dynamite

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 3, 2013 -> 06:55 PM)
Nothing screams great pitcher like a K/9 slightly above 7.

Carlos Marmol. 11.66 K/9, 4th best of ALL-TIME.

he's pitched over 1000 innings for us. that should shut you up, but of course, it won't.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 3, 2013 -> 08:00 PM)
he's pitched over 1000 innings for us. that should shut you up, but of course, it won't.

From 2008 to 2012 Floyd ranked 8th amongst all AL pitchers with 948 1/3 IP, 7th in Wins with 62, and 9th with 754 strikeouts. He might not have been the flashiest, but he was a damned important anchor in a rotation that was the basis for any Sox success.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2013 -> 08:24 PM)
From 2008 to 2012 Floyd ranked 8th amongst all AL pitchers with 948 1/3 IP, 7th in Wins with 62, and 9th with 754 strikeouts. He might not have been the flashiest, but he was a damned important anchor in a rotation that was the basis for any Sox success.

the dynamite just boomed again

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 4, 2013 -> 02:24 AM)

I think he's Jon Garland revisited. And a ton of other pitchers like him. 4-5 good years. I'd be stunned if Gavin is anything but a body the rest of his career. Not to take away from his good years, however, he had some.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 3, 2013 -> 09:00 PM)

So did the other 38 players on that list of people who have thrown over 1000 IP......who cares. My point is that K/9 hardly proves anyone was a good pitcher. Give me ERA, WHIP, K/BB, or a handful of the sabr stats first. Hell, even give me BB/9. There are plenty of guys who have high strikeout rates, but are awful (Gavin not being applicable for either one of those two things).

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 4, 2013 -> 01:30 AM)
So did the other 38 players on that list of people who have thrown over 1000 IP......who cares. My point is that K/9 hardly proves anyone was a good pitcher. Give me ERA, WHIP, K/BB, or a handful of the sabr stats first. Hell, even give me BB/9. There are plenty of guys who have high strikeout rates, but are awful (Gavin not being applicable for either one of those two things).

His raw innings pitched total along with his K's and Wins over a period of five seasons gives you a lot of information. Floyd is a guy who went 6 to 7 innings every time out, he took the ball every five days, and he kept his teams in his games. While not flashy sabr stats, it proves that Floyd had a big importance to the team over those five years, that isn't easily replaceable. If it were that easy to do, Floyd wouldn't rank so highly in all of those categories. Rotation stability and saving the bullpen might not have stats somewhere, but you can't discount their value to a baseball team. Sometimes the simple things tell the clearest story.

We should also be quite thankful Gavin was willing to sign the quite "team friendly" contract that Mr. Danks passed on (rightly).

It was the first time in his big league career a team was willing to stand behind him and give him a boost of confidence to stop looking over his shoulder.

That, and Don Cooper's influence. He finally found a place where he belonged.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 4, 2013 -> 09:17 AM)
Ya I'm not really sure why Gavin got so much s*** around here. Dude has been a very solid pitcher since we got him. Definitely time to move on but I wish him the best.

It's because he has the talent to be so much better than he has been...and he just comes off as so aloof...it's not that much unlike Rios has been in his career...you see this guy who could be one of the better players in the League, and that shows flashes of it, but then other times struggles so mightily, and yet doesn't really seem to be upset about that himself. That sort of player is just difficult to observe and difficult to watch struggle.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 4, 2013 -> 11:22 AM)
It's because he has the talent to be so much better than he has been...and he just comes off as so aloof...it's not that much unlike Rios has been in his career...you see this guy who could be one of the better players in the League, and that shows flashes of it, but then other times struggles so mightily, and yet doesn't really seem to be upset about that himself. That sort of player is just difficult to observe and difficult to watch struggle.

Ya, I didn't express that too well. I understand why people have an issue with him but he doesn't deserve as much crap as he has received.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 4, 2013 -> 11:20 AM)
We should also be quite thankful Gavin was willing to sign the quite "team friendly" contract that Mr. Danks passed on (rightly).

It was the first time in his big league career a team was willing to stand behind him and give him a boost of confidence to stop looking over his shoulder.

That, and Don Cooper's influence. He finally found a place where he belonged.

Usually one party or the other gets f***ed on one of those deals. In this case, it seems that it was pretty much fair to all involved.