Tampa Bay Rays @ Chicago White Sox

WilliamTell

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 28, 2013 -> 04:12 PM)
I guess, but in my opinion it's an 84-win team that may turn into a 74-win team with a bunch of injuries, and being forced to make mid-season moves.

It wasn't going to be a postseason team either way, but Hawk will use the injury narrative.

Why would they be forced to make moves of there wasn't going to be a post season? So we can live up to the penny pinching but at least we're competitive image that so many fans who never enter the park believe?

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 28, 2013 -> 03:10 PM)
This has all the making of 2007 with so many AAA players on the roster. This team needs to get healthy and fast.

Or the start of 2011, when Thornton was named the closer and it didn't take...

Or 2009.

The curse of the odd-numbered years since 2006.

06/08/10/12 good or decent

07/09/11/13? bad or miserable

Let's just hope that it doesn't get so bad that "TWTL" t-shirts start popping up at USCF, mocking the Sox organization at some point this season.

Of course, the type of fans who wear a t-shirt like that don't want to give their money to JR.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Apr 28, 2013 -> 05:46 PM)
Why would they be forced to make moves of there wasn't going to be a post season? So we can live up to the penny pinching but at least we're competitive image that so many fans who never enter the park believe?

The guys like Floyd who were going to be the first to go haven't done anything to increase their value.

Konerko? Nothing back in return, probably a salary dump at this rate.

Crain/Thornton/Lindstrom? Meh...

Alexei Ramirez will have value to a contender whose everyday SS goes down for the season.

It's going to be more like those Adkins for Durham, Lofton for Felix Diaz, Sandy Alomar for nothing, Baldwin dumped....just saving money, but not really getting any legit prospects in return.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 28, 2013 -> 06:46 PM)
NO wonder Price lost it in the dugout.

@bairi: “@TampaBayTK: @DAVIDprice14 claims HP umpire Tom Hallion approached him n cursed at him on his way to the dugout.” #umpshow

Meghan Montemurro ‏@M_Montemurro 26s

Strong words from HP ump Hallion regarding Rays' Price claim he said to "throw the ball over the f-in plate" at the end of the 7th inning.

I dont know what angles you guys had from the Chicago feed but I had the Rays feed and Price was walking to the dugout yelling towards his dugout and the umpire walked up the first base line and started yelling at Price.

We all know that Price was yelling at/about the plate umpire but he wasnt looking towards the plate so the umpire should have just watched and let it go. No umpire should start the confrontation. If he has that much of a problem with what Price is saying then toss him on the spot, dont walk towards him.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Apr 28, 2013 -> 06:57 PM)
I dont know what angles you guys had from the Chicago feed but I had the Rays feed and Price was walking to the dugout yelling towards his dugout and the umpire walked up the first base line and started yelling at Price.

We all know that Price was yelling at/about the plate umpire but he wasnt looking towards the plate so the umpire should have just watched and let it go. No umpire should start the confrontation. If he has that much of a problem with what Price is saying then toss him on the spot, dont walk towards him.

No, it doesn't matter where you are looking. If you're talking to/at the umpire, he has every right to open his mouth and address it.

Instead of toss him, he probably did what he could to keep him in the game.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Apr 28, 2013 -> 06:57 PM)

We didn't see anything but a clip after the fact of Price yelling and throwing a fit in the dugout. If what Price said is true about what the ump told him, he needs to be suspended.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 28, 2013 -> 07:11 PM)
We didn't see anything but a clip after the fact of Price yelling and throwing a fit in the dugout. If what Price said is true about what the ump told him, he needs to be suspended.

Yes, we only saw that plus what zenryan just told us. We also have no idea what Price was yelling "at the dugout."

No one deserves to get suspended only for using profanity, it's when it's personal is when there's an issue. That's the line that gets drawn, because players and umpires swear. It's not HS baseball where it's automatic.

Problem is it's a he said/she said thing, and I don't know if anyone has audio on any of it.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 28, 2013 -> 07:19 PM)
Yes, we only saw that plus what zenryan just told us. We also have no idea what Price was yelling "at the dugout."

No one deserves to get suspended only for using profanity, it's when it's personal is when there's an issue. That's the line that gets drawn, because players and umpires swear. It's not HS baseball where it's automatic.

Problem is it's a he said/she said thing, and I don't know if anyone has audio on any of it.

If the umpire was yelling at Price to throw the ball over the f***ing plate, he wasn't doing his job... not even close. That isn't just swearing. Umpires are a whole different standard than players. If Price did something against the rules, he should have been thrown out. If the umpire was inflaming the situation, by cursing directly at Price, he needs to be suspended. The day of the umpire getting to do whatever he wants was over long ago.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 28, 2013 -> 07:23 PM)
If the umpire was yelling at Price to throw the ball over the f***ing plate, he wasn't doing his job... not even close. That isn't just swearing. Umpires are a whole different standard than players. If Price did something against the rules, he should have been thrown out. If the umpire was inflaming the situation, by cursing directly at Price, he needs to be suspended. The day of the umpire getting to do whatever he wants was over long ago.

This isn't little league. Umpires and players swear throughout the game, and it doesn't always result in ejections. If Price was swearing about his strike zone and attacking him, then he's perfectly justified to respond in that way. No problem with it.

Price started the whole thing - being a clown immediately after he didn't get the pitch, then furthering it after the inning was over. That's being addressed with more than a "excuse me kind sir, you can't yell at me like that." Price was clearly the aggressor, it's quite likely that he swore, and if he uses a swear to describe the "plate," that's not exactly headline-worthy.

Marc Topkin @TBTimes_Rays

Umpire Hallion admits #Rays Price didn't say anything to him but "certainly gave enough body language to insinuate that he was pissed off.''

the umpire is 100% in the wrong here. Abuse of power at its finest.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Apr 28, 2013 -> 08:00 PM)

Umpire Hallion admits #Rays Price didn't say anything to him but "certainly gave enough body language to insinuate that he was pissed off.''

Body language can be addressed by umpires, too.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 28, 2013 -> 07:31 PM)
This isn't little league. Umpires and players swear throughout the game, and it doesn't always result in ejections. If Price was swearing about his strike zone and attacking him, then he's perfectly justified to respond in that way. No problem with it.

Price started the whole thing - being a clown immediately after he didn't get the pitch, then furthering it after the inning was over. That's being addressed with more than a "excuse me kind sir, you can't yell at me like that." Price was clearly the aggressor, it's quite likely that he swore, and if he uses a swear to describe the "plate," that's not exactly headline-worthy.

Then act like a professional umpire and handle the situation. Don't inflame it. If Price steps over the line eject him. You don't drop yourself down to that level and join in. That is some crap from the 60's. Do your job.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Apr 28, 2013 -> 08:00 PM)

Exactly.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 28, 2013 -> 10:50 PM)
Then act like a professional umpire and handle the situation. Don't inflame it. If Price steps over the line eject him. You don't drop yourself down to that level and join in. That is some crap from the 60's. Do your job.

That is how you handle the situation. Sorry, umpires aren't s***-eating robots.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 28, 2013 -> 10:55 PM)
That is how you handle the situation. Sorry, umpires aren't s***-eating robots.

and if they don't do their job, they face punishment just like anyone else who screws up in their job. They aren't exempt.