MAY IS HERE!

Take a deep breath, exhale, and say goodbye to the worst month of southside baseball in some time. Screw you, April 2013

There's no way the defense remains this bad.

The talent in the bullpen is for real.

There's no way the ineptitude with RISP remains this bad.

The weather in Chicago has been absolute s*** - this will not last.

Beckham, Viciedo and Johnny Danks are coming back. And they can even bring Gavin, if they want.

There's no way the same coaching staff who did such a masterful job of bringing this team together last year has now given up or lost their ability to make this a focused bunch.

Would you rather have a crappy April or a crappy September? They got their bad month out of the way.

And the biggest positive I can offer you: HOW IN THE HELL CAN A TEAM WHO PLAYED THIS BAD BE ONLY 10-15 AND ONLY 5 BACK? They've actually played better than the Angels and Toronto, two teams expected to dominate this season.

My eye is on one of the WC spots, will be all summer. Let's get this s*** started already.

pitchfork.png

Win 20 and we'll talk.

f***, win 11 and ill be flabbergasted.

The talent is just not there even when healthy and Robin has lost the ability to get the best out of his players and is allowing the poor play that cost them a playoff birth 6 months ago to inexplicably continue in 2013.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 1, 2013 -> 12:16 AM)
Take a deep breath, exhale, and say goodbye to the worst month of southside baseball in some time. Screw you, April 2013

Beckham, Viciedo and Johnny Danks are coming back. And they can even bring Gavin, if they want.

There's no way the same coaching staff who did such a masterful job of bringing this team together last year has now given up or lost their ability to make this a focused bunch.

Would you rather have a crappy April or a crappy September? They got their bad month out of the way.

And the biggest positive I can offer you: HOW IN THE HELL CAN A TEAM WHO PLAYED THIS BAD BE ONLY 10-15 AND ONLY 5 BACK? They've actually played better than the Angels and Toronto, two teams expected to dominate this season.

My eye is on one of the WC spots, will be all summer. Let's get this s*** started already.

pitchfork.png

I approve this message.

It is pretty amazing that they are 10-15. I haven't been able to watch many games, but the ones I've seen have been horrible...and that includes a few games that they won. The biggest problem, in my opinion, is the offense. The starting pitching has been pretty good and the bullpen has been great (aside from a few hiccups). The defense has been dissapointing, despite some fantastic glovework from Gillaspie and Ramirez. But the offense...ugh. They have to get better, right? How much better is the real question.

Luckily they are only 5 games back. But, another couple weeks of lackluster baseball, and we could know what it's felt like to be be a Pirates fan for the past 20 years (last season excluded).

They needed 50 wins by July 8. The only thing that's changed is one of the rain out games will be played after July 8.

49-38 on July 8 or bust. That means they have to go 39-23 starting today. Good luck, and hurry back Danks, Floyd, Viciedo, and Beckham.

And since there is no catch-all, I'll put this here...the Sox may be seeing really bad weather Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

Hopefully they get the game in Thursday night. Then they may be landing in snow in KC Friday morning. I doubt they'll play Friday. Then Saturday still looks rainy in KC. Crazy year.

Let's be honest, things will get better, at least offensively. We only have 1 1/2 regulars with OPSs above .700. That's absolutely crazy and will not last.

The real concern is the defense. If they are going to be this bad all year then we don't have a chance. It's really shocking given how good they were last year. Hopefully they get their heads out of their asses soon and remember how to catch the ball.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 1, 2013 -> 07:33 AM)
Let's be honest, things will get better, at least offensively. We only have 1 1/2 regulars with OPSs above .700. That's absolutely crazy and will not last.

The real concern is the defense. If they are going to be this bad all year then we don't have a chance. It's really shocking given how good they were last year. Hopefully they get their heads out of their asses soon and remember how to catch the ball.

Biggest problem facing the Sox is there is very little upside to the team they field on a regular basis and that's when Beckham and Viciedo are in the lineup.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 1, 2013 -> 12:16 AM)

pitchfork.png

It seems to me that the Sox are notoriously terrible whenever the weather is cold for a game. Are there any statistics to back this up? If so, this is a product of preparation. Seems to not make much sense to me to prepare in Arizona weather up until the season starts and then jump into 50 degree weather for the start of the season. Maybe the team should consider coming back a week or so early and become accustomed to playing in cold weather... And yes, I do realize this is contrary to the way things are typically done in MLB, thinking outside the box here. And for those of you who bring up last season's record in April and May, please remember it was 90 degrees by April.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 1, 2013 -> 06:42 AM)
Biggest problem facing the Sox is there is very little upside to the team they field on a regular basis and that's when Beckham and Viciedo are in the lineup.

And your suggestion is to do what?

Give up the first week of May and trade Rios and Ramirez?

Then you're not even letting a market begin to form for those players...as most of the teams aren't going to be looking to make any acquisitions until June or more likely July when a more complete picture of the competitive/non-competitive teams emerges.

You've gotten your wish of Danks playing a few games and the results are still the same.

Whether you like it or not, they're going to have to ride it out for another 30-40 games (minimum).

Remember, and while it's not likely to happen, they were a matter of 7-10 days from completely blowing the 2010 team up before it went on that miraculous 26-5 run.

History is not likely to repeat itself, but even the most pessimistic fans would see no point in punting on the season before June/July.

They still have to make determinations on Gillaspie, Flowers, DeAza (if he's not a CFer, he's not going to be a part of the long-term plans in all likelihood), Viciedo, Beckham, etc.

They probably can take their time rushing John Danks back...because he's going to be a part of the team in 2014/15/16 weather we like it or not, so we need him to be fully productive those years.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Cali @ May 1, 2013 -> 12:29 AM)
Win 20 and we'll talk.

f***, win 11 and ill be flabbergasted.

The talent is just not there even when healthy and Robin has lost the ability to get the best out of his players and is allowing the poor play that cost them a playoff birth 6 months ago to inexplicably continue in 2013.

I don't think you can say that with any certainty. This offense has been a bowl of puke and we've still won quite a few games. Same with the defense. If the offense comes around a bit and the defense shores up, then Thornton Lidstrom and Jones aren't blowing games.

I just don't see how it could get much worse but I do see how things could get better.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 1, 2013 -> 07:09 AM)
I don't think you can say that with any certainty. This offense has been a bowl of puke and we've still won quite a few games. Same with the defense. If the offense comes around a bit and the defense shores up, then Thornton Lidstrom and Jones aren't blowing games.

I just don't see how it could get much worse but I do see how things could get better.

Well Robin inherited a team that completely underachieved in 2011 under Ozzie almost in tact and turned them into playoff contenders just by getting the most out of them. The 2013 team is again almost intact from what Robin had last year and somehow all the good he bought from April-August is gone. Yes injuries are making him play AAAA players but really those fundamentals hits, with RISP and smart play from 2012 wasn't really evident when Beckham and Viciedo were playing either.

And it doesn't have to get worse for this season to be a complete disaster, it could stay ostensibly the same and they still might lose 90.

There is no doubt that once Danks and Floyd are healthy, we have a lot of depth in the starting rotation, and that is without anyone in the minors making themselves a candidate to start as well. It is very possible that if the Sox can stay in it, they could deal a starter for a position player. If not, they would have a lot of cards at the deadline market for sellers.

Except Axelrod's not going to fetch much of anything in trade.

Other teams would be much more likely to target Peavy, Quintana and Santiago. That's obvious, especially Peavy.

Quintana has done pretty well this season, but he still has his doubters.

And there are definitely plenty who feel Santiago will get exposed after seeing opposing batters 2-3 times per game or throwing 75+ pitches. However, he did well as a starter in September after we were out of it and he was great until being forced into the game for Floyd the other day.

Peavy, Rios and Ramirez are the best trade chips at the moment. However, trading Rios or Ramirez means we're surrendering completely.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 1, 2013 -> 11:13 AM)
Except Axelrod's not going to fetch much of anything in trade.

Other teams would be much more likely to target Peavy, Quintana and Santiago. That's obvious, especially Peavy.

Quintana has done pretty well this season, but he still has his doubters.

And there are definitely plenty who feel Santiago will get exposed after seeing opposing batters 2-3 times per game or throwing 75+ pitches. However, he did well as a starter in September after we were out of it and he was great until being forced into the game for Floyd the other day.

Peavy, Rios and Ramirez are the best trade chips at the moment. However, trading Rios or Ramirez means we're surrendering completely.

Axelrod could be a starter for the Sox for a while. I agree he doesn't have much trade value, but he has potential value as a young, decent pitcher who could play for the Sox for quite a few years. If the Sox are out of it at the deadline, or if they're in it and need a position player, I could see Peavy or Floyd getting dealt.

QUOTE (Cali @ May 1, 2013 -> 09:32 AM)
Well Robin inherited a team that completely underachieved in 2011 under Ozzie almost in tact and turned them into playoff contenders just by getting the most out of them. The 2013 team is again almost intact from what Robin had last year and somehow all the good he bought from April-August is gone. Yes injuries are making him play AAAA players but really those fundamentals hits, with RISP and smart play from 2012 wasn't really evident when Beckham and Viciedo were playing either.

And it doesn't have to get worse for this season to be a complete disaster, it could stay ostensibly the same and they still might lose 90.

There were two majors differences between the end of the year lineup and the opening day lineup - Keppinger/Youkilis and Flowers/Pierzynski. Over the past few games, there have been four major differences - the aforementioned two, plus Greene (and Kepp) for Beckham, and a rotating disaster in LF. You are

I think you are underestimating how badly this team is banged up right now.

I also don't know how you came to the conclusion that they "still" weren't getting the hits when Beckham was in the lineup, as if he was somehow at fault when he was in the lineup all of 7 games before he broke his hand. There is no justifiable sample size in 7 games.

If the team continues to lose, then they've gotten off to a good start, and if they start to win, then hooray. How about, when it comes to posting in this thread, people hold their chin up and force a f***ing smile?

Jesus Christ, I swear that people will do anything they can to piss in as many people's cereal as they can.

Please don't take this comparison the wrong way, but Axelrod is a pitcher in the sense that Greg Maddux was a pitcher. Not over-powering stuff, but he pitches with a lot of movement and deception. I think he's still got room to grow and improve. And he's shown some real grit on the mound. Dude's a competitor, and he may surprise us all.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 1, 2013 -> 11:33 AM)
Please don't take this comparison the wrong way, but Axelrod is a pitcher in the sense that Greg Maddux was a pitcher. Not over-powering stuff, but he pitches with a lot of movement and deception. I think he's still got room to grow and improve. And he's shown some real grit on the mound. Dude's a competitor, and he may surprise us all.

I really like Axelrod. He doesn't have a high ceiling, but he definitely has the ability to be a solid 4th starter. Anymore, I'd prefer him to Floyd in the rotation.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 1, 2013 -> 11:31 AM)
There were two majors differences between the end of the year lineup and the opening day lineup - Keppinger/Youkilis and Flowers/Pierzynski. Over the past few games, there have been four major differences - the aforementioned two, plus Greene (and Kepp) for Beckham, and a rotating disaster in LF. You are

I think you are underestimating how badly this team is banged up right now.

I also don't know how you came to the conclusion that they "still" weren't getting the hits when Beckham was in the lineup, as if he was somehow at fault when he was in the lineup all of 7 games before he broke his hand. There is no justifiable sample size in 7 games.

If the team continues to lose, then they've gotten off to a good start, and if they start to win, then hooray. How about, when it comes to posting in this thread, people hold their chin up and force a f***ing smile?

Jesus Christ, I swear that people will do anything they can to piss in as many people's cereal as they can.

Doom and gloomers are the bane of my existence. Good post.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 1, 2013 -> 11:38 AM)
I really like Axelrod. He doesn't have a high ceiling, but he definitely has the ability to be a solid 4th starter. Anymore, I'd prefer him to Floyd in the rotation.

Add to that six years of team control, and that has real value. A guy like that might actually fetch more on the trade market than a John Danks who has a big contract.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 1, 2013 -> 09:38 AM)

I would be more surprised by an Axelrod implosion than I would be by a Floyd big inning, that's for sure. I'm always waiting for the wheels to come off with Gavin on the mound, no matter how good he looks at times.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 1, 2013 -> 11:33 AM)

That's one of the biggest baseball myths I know. Maddux was nasty. Maddux was a Grienke better stuff. Maddux is 10th all time in k's.