GT Sox @ Rangers 5-1-13 7:05 CST

QUOTE (Cali @ May 1, 2013 -> 08:50 PM)
Glad the Sox decided that they didn't need to wait and see how Sale looked after his first full season in the rotation before they signed him long-term...

Verlander had an ERA over 5 in 2008. I bet the Tigers wish they'd released him then, right?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 1, 2013 -> 05:53 PM)
Verlander had an ERA over 5 in 2008. I bet the Tigers wish they'd released him then, right?

You think the Sox are that lucky? I don't...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 1, 2013 -> 06:53 PM)

The Sale deal will be fine as long as he stays healthy.

Maybe the expectations of him coming out and winning the Cy Young or being better than last year were unrealistic with the increase of innings from 2011.

Very worst case scenario, $30 million is no worse than money wasted on Rios in 2009/2011 or Dunn in 2011/2013 (so far)

QUOTE (fathom @ May 1, 2013 -> 06:57 PM)
After watching the replay, it sure seems like Baker knew an offspeed pitch was coming.

Or he was just sitting on it, like Wise against Darvish yesterday.

Not usually the best approach against a fastball-first pitcher, but guessing can pay off big time occasionally.

Keppinger back under .200 and Konerko at .242. Weird.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ May 1, 2013 -> 07:57 PM)
After watching the replay, it sure seems like Baker knew an offspeed pitch was coming.

Check how his hand separates from his glove when he's throwing a fastball as opposed to when he's throwing a curve. Maybe I'm seeing or looking for things.

God, if you blinked or went to the bathroom, you would have missed that half inning.

Seems like opponents' "offensive time of possession/Sox pitchers time on the mound" is about 75% and our hitters only 25% this year.

Lots of impatient at-bats, and we don't even have Pierre and AJ around anymore.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 1, 2013 -> 07:08 PM)
anybody see the highlight of Napoli's homer in Toronto? Third deck CF.

Red Sox got a great deal on that "renegotiated" contract.

18-8 and the surprise team of the AL, with the Angels most disappointing.

Something I don't get is why in the world is Flowers batting 8th and Wise 9th? If anything, you want to make it harder for opposition to bring in a lefty with it being Wise/Flowers/ADA. Instead, you make it much easier for opposition to play the match-ups.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 1, 2013 -> 09:10 PM)
Red Sox got a great deal on that "renegotiated" contract.

18-8 and the surprise team of the AL, with the Angels most disappointing.

Really, you can say on may 1 that he'll stay healthy the rest of the year to make that a great deal?

QUOTE (fathom @ May 1, 2013 -> 07:12 PM)
Something I don't get is why in the world is Flowers batting 8th and Wise 9th? If anything, you want to make it harder for opposition to bring in a lefty with it being Wise/Flowers/ADA. Instead, you make it much easier for opposition to play the match-ups.

Because all "fast" players hit first or 9th, lol.

Ventura doesn't often seem to be thinking very strategically with some of his line-up decisions.