Reed hits AJ

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ May 2, 2013 -> 09:32 AM)
Why does everyone have to be a great guy? Whatever great guy means. I would imagine that half the players in baseball are not great guys, but jerks by most standards. Who gives a s***? AJ was awesome and loved by most sox fans, and now that we get to bean him it's hilarious, like tripping your best friend in front of a girl he likes. I wish more people were like AJ and didn't care about hurting someone's feelings so much. I'm all for being nice, but people are too sensitive these days. If that makes me a "meathead" fan, I'll take that over half the nerds on this site that have never played a game in their life.

I enjoy this post

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does everyone have to be a great guy? Whatever great guy means. I would imagine that half the players in baseball are not great guys, but jerks by most standards. Who gives a s***? AJ was awesome and loved by most sox fans, and now that we get to bean him it's hilarious, like tripping your best friend in front of a girl he likes. I wish more people were like AJ and didn't care about hurting someone's feelings so much. I'm all for being nice, but people are too sensitive these days. If that makes me a "meathead" fan, I'll take that over half the nerds on this site that have never played a game in their life.

:cheers

AJ was a White Sox and I loved the guy. He played hard and he played to win and he backed his teammates. I didn't get to see any replays of that incident with Reed but would have loved to have seen the back and forth and PK laughing.

There's a difference between not being a great guy and just being nasty to people for no reason. AJ was and is a fun player to watch and a good player. You would like to think in society most people would be respectful to others. Do you have to be, no. Is it entertaining if you're not, yes. I just comment when people try to say, "AJ wasn't that bad of a person."

I liked having him on the team. He did contribute alot. He helped bring something I never thought was possible to Chicago, a White Sox World Series.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 2, 2013 -> 08:33 AM)
Good f***ing god, where to start?

Then as a fan, you are also classless. Why else would you root for a classless organization?

I've been a Sox fan since '68. They haven't always been classless. And to be honest, I became a Sox fan because of geography - I was born and raised on the south side of Chicago. That's how most people become fans of a particular team, by where they come from. What choice did I have- the Cubs??? LOL! Did you become a Sox fan because you thought they were the classiest team out there? Ever since 2011 and the Ozzie bulls***, I've become more and more disgusted with this organization.

And you love parroting the idea that nobody ever liked AJ. Quit acting like he's your son. AJ will be loved and appreciated in this town his whole life. He's a jerk, but he was a key factor in the Sox winning a World Series. The fact that you don't believe that White Sox fans appreciated AJ shows your true depth of knowledge as a fan of the White Sox that you can't look past the brim of your own glasses and see exactly how MUCH AJ was appreciated.

You couldn't be more wrong. Lots of people loved AJ. In fact most Sox fans did. I said the meatheads didn't appreciate him. You obviously didn't comprehend what I wrote.

No Paul Konerko, no White Sox World Series. No Juan Uribe, no White Sox World Series. No Tadahito Iguchi, no White Sox World Series. See what I'm getting at here, or do you want me to keep going? You make a broad, sweeping argument that "if no AJ, no World Series" without taking into context any other details. There were a lot of things that fell into place that year, and if you take any one of them out, that team almost certainly does not win the World Series. AJ didn't hit 80 homers and throw 15 no hitters, so let's not act like he was the only reason that team won the World Series.

Again you didn't comprehend what I wrote. In fact in this thread I mentioned Carl, Aaron, Juan Uribe, etc. I liked them all and appreciate what they did while here. And I agree that if you take any one of them away they probably don't win the World Series - including AJ. That's why I still like and respect them all as players and would not find it funny or amusing if a Sox pitcher drilled one of them for no good reason. Some here appear to be happy that AJ got drilled.

Again, these conclusions after one month. He was at 33% last year and has had all of 19 attempted steals against him this year.

Most of the steals against the Sox have been the result of pitchers not holding the runners on or having a slow delivery to the plate. Some of it was on the SS taking throws in front of the bag. It has been that way for years. But many here (not all but many, some the same people that are happy he got HBP) blamed it all on AJ and thought that was one reason the Sox would be better off without him, and that Flowers was going to be a big improvement in this area. Also I can remember some here blaming every opposition clutch hit or HR on a bad pitch call by AJ. But since Flowers is calling the pitches these people are silent as Sox pitchers give up big hits and blow leads.

It'd be mildly surprising if they brought back Konerko this year too - are the White Sox going to be pathetic losers for letting him go too?
No, unless they replace him with a AAA level scrub and then drill him in his first AB against the Sox.

Glad your son is doing well
I wish he was my son. I'd be retired by now. Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ May 2, 2013 -> 10:33 AM)
I've been a Sox fan since '68. They haven't always been classless.

You couldn't be more wrong. Lots of people loved AJ. In fact most Sox fans did. I said the meatheads didn't appreciate him. You obviously didn't comprehend what I wrote.

Again you didn't comprehend what I wrote. In fact in this thread I mentioned Carl, Aaron, Juan Uribe, etc. I liked them all and appreciate what they did while here. And I agree that if you take any one of them away they probably don't win the World Series - including AJ. That's why I still like and respect them all as players and would not find it funny or amusing if a Sox pitcher drilled one of them for no good reason. Some here appear to be happy that AJ got drilled.

Most of the steals against the Sox have been the result of pitchers not holding the runners on or having a slow delivery to the plate. Some of it was on the SS taking throws in front of the bag. It has been that way for years. But many here (not all but many, some the same people that are happy he got HBP) blamed it all on AJ and thought that was one reason the Sox would be better off without him, and that Flowers was going to be a big improvement in this area. Also I can remember some here blaming every opposition clutch hit or HR on a bad pitch call by AJ. But since Flowers is calling the pitches these people are silent as Sox pitchers give up big hits and blow leads.

No, unless they replace him with a AAA level scrub and then drill him in his first AB against the Sox.

I wish he was my son. I'd be retired by now.

I would say the opposite honestly. The stats people didn't like AJ nearly as much. The people who think there is more to the game than stats are the ones who liked AJ the most. Which of those two sounds like the meathead fans?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 2, 2013 -> 10:33 AM)
Wow. So quick to turn on the guy. AJ does what he can to help his team - if he stuck his elbow out to get on base, so be it. No big f***ing deal. The guy rocks.

Absolutely. How many times did he do that in a Sox uniform? Many players do this to help the team out, and as you said, he'll do just about anything.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2013 -> 03:37 PM)
I would say the opposite honestly. The stats people didn't like AJ nearly as much. The people who think there is more to the game than stats are the ones who liked AJ the most. Which of those two sounds like the meathead fans?

Those same people were calling for the Flowers era. LOL at those meatheads.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2013 -> 10:37 AM)

Sigh. Context. I was responding to the false statement that I "love parroting the idea that nobody ever liked AJ." Most Sox fans did love AJ. I'm not interested in whether stats geeks or traditionalists are bigger meatheads. I just think that any Sox fan who didn't appreciate what AJ contributed to the Sox over the years and is happy that he got hit last night is probably a meathead.

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ May 2, 2013 -> 08:32 AM)

:cheers True...and I'd venture to say not one person on here knows AJ personally to say he's an asshole, douche or rotten person. I wish this team had 5 AJ's on it...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2013 -> 10:37 AM)

People who understand that there is waaaaaay more to the game than stats = intelligent baseball fans

People who focus on stats all the time = nerds who don't get it

Meatheads = people who don't understand the game at any level & start every Sox-oriented baseball conversation with something like "so those Cubbies really suck don't they?"

Soxtalk doesn't have any meathead fans. Lots of intelligent baseball fans though & a couple nerds probably, but some of the most stat-heavy fans here clearly understand the game even if they want to pretend that they don't in order to justify a stance/further an argument.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ May 2, 2013 -> 10:56 AM)
Sigh. Context. I was responding to the false statement that I "love parroting the idea that nobody ever liked AJ." Most Sox fans did love AJ. I'm not interested in whether stats geeks or traditionalists are bigger meatheads. I just think that any Sox fan who didn't appreciate what AJ contributed to the Sox over the years and is happy that he got hit last night is probably a meathead.

Anyone who can't appreciate what AJ did here doesn't know baseball. I know this sentence is ban-worthy under the rules or whatever, but it is true. AJ was an excellent catcher for us and if you ignore that then you simply do not understand baseball. At all. That's it.

This forum hates it's greatest players though, same with WSI. The best hitter in franchise history was called "The Big Skirt" for years. Say enough?

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ May 2, 2013 -> 11:31 AM)
Anyone who can't appreciate what AJ did here doesn't know baseball. I know this sentence is ban-worthy under the rules or whatever, but it is true. AJ was an excellent catcher for us and if you ignore that then you simply do not understand baseball. At all. That's it.

This forum hates it's greatest players though, same with WSI. The best hitter in franchise history was called "The Big Skirt" for years. Say enough?

He was called the Big Skirt by Mariotti, not Soxtalk.

And this forum doesn't hate the franchises greatest players, far from it. There are certain members that choose to be more critical than others, but your broad generalization of this forum is wrong.

Nothing you said was ban-worthy, just drama.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ May 2, 2013 -> 10:56 AM)

You are in the wrong place if you think people didn't appreciate what AJ contributed. I think you are also missing the point that AJ's contributions can be acknowledged, while also acknowledging the fact that he has ex-teammates who might want to throw a baseball at him. I think your viewpoint is overly simplistic to equate the two things as mutually exclusive.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2013 -> 12:54 PM)
You are in the wrong place if you think people didn't appreciate what AJ contributed.

I said some people (the meatheads the original poster referred to who enjoyed AJ being drilled) didn't appreciate him. Of course there were many more Sox fans who appreciated all AJ contributed over the years.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ May 2, 2013 -> 01:21 PM)
I said some people (the meatheads the original poster referred to who enjoyed AJ being drilled) didn't appreciate him. Of course there were many more Sox fans who appreciated all AJ contributed over the years.

Let's try this again. Enjoying AJ being drilled and appreciating his contributions are not mutually exclusive. You can do both.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ May 2, 2013 -> 01:21 PM)

I appreciated what he did here AND enjoyed him getting drilled.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 2, 2013 -> 01:34 PM)
I appreciated what he did here AND enjoyed him getting drilled.

Well all I have to say to this is that if I owned a pet store and someone came in and said "I'm Alpha Dog from SoxTalk & I liked seeing AJ getting drilled" then I'd only let you in the door if I really needed the business & I'd watch you like a hawk around the puppies.