Growing Trend in Higher Education

Texsox

I just learned my University, part of the University of Texas system, will be dropping the core requirement of a three hour sophomore literature class and adding a two hour diet, health, and nutrition class. Basically you will be able to earn a university degree without reading a drop of fiction. At first I assumed that this was a localized thing, but I've learned it is a growing trend in higher education.

What I find interesting is Marx theorized that in a capitalistic society eventually education will be focused solely on producing workers to be exploited by the owners. That the disciplines that separate us from animals, the humanities will be devalued. Since a knowledgable working class is harder to exploit eventually we will have a dumbing down of the working class. This seems like a nice step along that path. Books are dangerous in the wrong hands. Blind submission is safer. I know a little hyperbole.

Hopefully this is isolated to state schools. State funding never likes literature, but it is still popular among students. English programs have just started slowing in growth for the first time in a long time in higher ed., and some of that can be explained by the grown of Film and Media Studies growing influence (my field :D)

you guys are ignoring that they're replacing it with a quite useful requirement.

i don't agree with skipping literature, but finding somewhere to require a health/nutrition class is fine by me

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 2, 2013 -> 07:42 PM)
you guys are ignoring that they're replacing it with a quite useful requirement.

i don't agree with skipping literature, but finding somewhere to require a health/nutrition class is fine by me

That should be taught in primary and secondary school. Those are not academic subjects, at least in the way they are going to be taught to these students.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 2, 2013 -> 06:56 PM)
That should be taught in primary and secondary school. Those are not academic subjects, at least in the way they are going to be taught to these students.

As an English major, definitely agree that literature/rhetoric needs to stay.

Fitness/nutrition/diet classes belong in KG, elementary, middle school and high school...by the time students are in university, or even in high school, it's too late.

Rhet/Comp stayed as a requirement. The Math department offered to drop their basic computer skills class. We are already at 124 hours for a bachelor's degree.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 2, 2013 -> 07:56 PM)

I agree completely, and for a couple of main reasons. First, if you are going based on the Marxist theory presented by Tex, then you want your blue collar laborers - those likely to be done with schooling after high school - to be knowledgable of health and nutrition. Extending their lives and, thus, their working careers should be of utmost importance. Secondly, your university systems should be breeding grounds for independent thought and courses like philosophy (which I regrettably never enrolled in) and literature do those sorts of things. These people will work, but they are likely to lead longer lives simply because they are far likelier to work white collar jobs where their health will deteriorate at a slower rate (other than through gluttony and laziness).

Of course...they might be able to teach nutrition in middle and high school if that subject was on the standardized tests.

And besides, who needs to read books these days anyway? Everything ought to be done on Kindles and iPads anyway.

(/sarcastic replies).

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 3, 2013 -> 08:14 AM)
I graduated almost 10 years ago (whoa), and I definitely never read a single drop of fiction in college.

Aside from the Greek and Roman mythology elective I took, I don't think I did either (for school).

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 3, 2013 -> 08:14 AM)
I graduated almost 10 years ago (whoa), and I definitely never read a single drop of fiction in college.

yea i don't remember reading any fiction for college classes.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2013 -> 01:48 AM)
Fitness/nutrition/diet classes belong in KG, elementary, middle school and high school

It is. Or at least it was when I was there. I'm pretty sure PE is still required all 4 years at my old HS.