Mark Buehrle must be feeling snake-bitten...

caulfield12

over the last two seasons.

He played on a team with World Series aspirations with a brand-new, state of the art facility that turned into a complete disaster and eventual fire sale in Miami.

Then, he had all the issues with his pit bulls and being separated from his family.

Now he's playing on another team that had playoff aspirations which looks to be in a state of complete collapse....soon to be 10-20.

And he's gotten off to one of the worst starts in his career with a negative WAR (-0.4)

Pitching against the Yankees, Orioles and Red Sox isn't going to be a recipe for success. He would probably be much better off in the NL.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2013 -> 08:13 PM)
over the last two seasons.

He played on a team with World Series aspirations with a brand-new, state of the art facility that turned into a complete disaster and eventual fire sale in Miami.

Then, he had all the issues with his pit bulls and being separated from his family.

Now he's playing on another team that had playoff aspirations which looks to be in a state of complete collapse....soon to be 10-20.

And he's gotten off to one of the worst starts in his career with a negative WAR (-0.4)

Pitching against the Yankees, Orioles and Red Sox isn't going to be a recipe for success. He would probably be much better off in the NL.

or in Chicago. not that i think we should've paid him that much, but dude made a huge mistake

As for the players meeting, it was called by Mark DeRosa in an attempt to get some confidence, some swagger back into the clubhouse.

“I think obviously it’s necessary for us,” he said before Tuesday’s game. “You can’t leave it up to Gibby and the coaching staff every time. It was a situation where we needed to come together as a group, air our differences if there were any, kind of open up the floor.”

DeRosa said the Jays had kind of lost their way.

“I felt like when I showed up in spring training there was such a buzz about this team,” he said. “The guys kind of fed off of it. I felt like even though we never had our true team out on the field, we kind of had a little pep in our step playing throughout spring training and playing well. I just wanted to get that feel back again.”

He added that what the Jays have gone through is a new feeling for him as well.

“To be honest with you, I’ve never been in this situation,” he said. “I’m not used to putting on my uniform and expecting things to go wrong. I expect them to go right. There’s no way, with this team, that that should happen.”

Remarkably, Gibbons hasn’t lost his sense of humour.

The besieged manager has retained the ability to poke fun at himself even with many if not the majority of fans calling for his scalp in wake of his team’s dreadful April.

Prior to the game he was asked if when he brings the lineup card to the plate along with his Boston counterpart John Farrell, who the fans will be booing?

“Probably me,” he said with a laugh. “I was walking around town yesterday (Monday) and was kind of ducking if that’s what you mean (regarding the fans’ frustration).

“There’s got to be frustration and I can totally understand it. Like I said the other day, nobody’s more frustrated than we are. But something would be wrong if they (fans) weren’t frustrated. That’s fair, more than fair.”

As the pre-game scrum was breaking up, he was asked what he did on the off day.

He said he watched a movie and added with a grin: “I was going to buy a Leafs jersey and wear it around but I didn’t want to curse them.”

Toronto Sun

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 3, 2013 -> 08:17 PM)
or in Chicago. not that i think we should've paid him that much, but dude made a huge mistake

He's going to be making huge money for quite a while. I don't think the baseball was ever THAT big of a deal for him.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 3, 2013 -> 08:44 PM)
He's going to be making huge money for quite a while. I don't think the baseball was ever THAT big of a deal for him.

right but his quality of life the last couple years has dropped compared to when he played for us. obviously it still ain't bad, but from his perspective it's probably less enjoyable.

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 3, 2013 -> 10:23 PM)
right but his quality of life the last couple years has dropped compared to when he played for us. obviously it still ain't bad, but from his perspective it's probably less enjoyable.

But he has an extra $30 million to offset that, and that's the choice he made.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 3, 2013 -> 09:38 PM)
But he has an extra $30 million to offset that, and that's the choice he made.

totally. that doesn't mean he doesn't regret making it on some level.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 3, 2013 -> 07:44 PM)

I think you're going far there. It's Buehrle we're talking about. He could've made a lot more money had he left as a FA in 07 and not resigned with us.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ May 4, 2013 -> 02:53 PM)
I think you're going far there. It's Buehrle we're talking about. He could've made a lot more money had he left as a FA in 07 and not resigned with us.

And he could have signed with a team that offers a no-trade clause last year, but instead he chose Miami and the money. I would probably do the same thing, but let's stop the Buehrle doesn't care about the money nonsense.

QUOTE (MAX @ May 5, 2013 -> 09:33 PM)
What happened with his pitbulls and family?

(also why do I care?)

The province of Ontario does not allow pit bull breeds. Instead of his pit bull spending six months with a different family while the Buehrles all lived in Canada, they decided that the rest of the family should stay in the US so the pit bull can be with them. As a dad and a dog owner, I still think it's an awful decision, I'd choose hanging with my kids & family anyday, but that's just me.

And the county that the Marlins play in disallows pit bull breeds, so he was forced to live 30-40 miles away from Marlins stadium.

QUOTE (zenryan @ May 5, 2013 -> 08:29 PM)
how do you know if he's even regretting it?

i... dont?

it was called a hypothesis, or a guess. or... i dont know man - it's something to talk about and it's nice to keep in mind that other teams with loftier expectations are sucking just as much as we are.

Tampa Bay, that new powerhouse of hitting, just put up 7 runs on Buehrle in one inning. Season ERA at 7.58 and looking like the new "worst contract in baseball."

We knew he would struggle in the AL East, but this badly?

S. Fuld singled to shallow left center

- D. Jennings walked, S. Fuld to second

- K. Johnson singled to deep center, S. Fuld scored, D. Jennings to second

- R. Roberts singled, D. Jennings to third, K. Johnson to second

- E. Longoria homered to deep left, D. Jennings, K. Johnson and R. Roberts scored

- J. Loney doubled to right

- S. Rodriguez struck out swinging

- L. Scott homered to deep right, J. Loney scored

- J. Molina grounded out to shortstop

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 5, 2013 -> 08:14 PM)
And he could have signed with a team that offers a no-trade clause last year, but instead he chose Miami and the money. I would probably do the same thing, but let's stop the Buehrle doesn't care about the money nonsense.

Right, because I said that Buehrle doesn't care about the money...

Reminds me of that Minnesota game he gave up a ton in the first, bowed his neck, and we came back and won.

Arencibia homers with two outs in the top of the 9th off Rodney, 8-7 Blue Jays.

7-0 lead GONE...a bit of a shocker.

We'll see if the Blue Jays can close it out...Mr. Janssen.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 6, 2013 -> 09:24 PM)
Deep inside of me, I still wish he had a Sox jersey on.

Unlike with AJP the Sox didnt really give him a halfway decent offer. He had to take the cash and go. It turned out to be a horrible decision.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 7, 2013 -> 12:04 PM)
Unlike with AJP the Sox didnt really give him a halfway decent offer. He had to take the cash and go. It turned out to be a horrible decision.

I wonder what would have happened had he let free agency play out, instead of jumping at the Marlins' offer. Obviously he wouldn't have gotten $58 million from anyone else, but maybe he gets a shorter deal from someone else with no-trade protection and things work out better.