Mark Buehrle must be feeling snake-bitten...

caulfield12

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 7, 2013 -> 01:04 PM)
Unlike with AJP the Sox didnt really give him a halfway decent offer. He had to take the cash and go. It turned out to be a horrible decision.

GMAB man, if he was willing to sign for a "Halfway decent offer" the team would quite readily have popped 3/$36 for him. He wanted to hit the FA market and see what was out there, and a team offered him basically $22 million for waiving his no trade clause.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 7, 2013 -> 01:40 PM)
When I was last up there about 10 years ago, even their sales tax was 15%

Yeah, that's how it was, somewhere between 13-15% tax anywhere we ate. Also, a case of beer cost like $45 because of liquor taxes.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 7, 2013 -> 01:40 PM)
When I was last up there about 10 years ago, even their sales tax was 15%

When guys get traded, isn't there some sort of provision, at least with the Canadian team, in regards to taxes and exchange rate to where the Blue Jays would have to even it out? I know at one point there was.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 7, 2013 -> 01:51 PM)
People are willing to pay well over $200 a case at USCF if you include tips.

As is the case at many other baseball stadiums including the Rogers Centre. I don't see how that's relevant to my store-bought beer comparison, but OK.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 7, 2013 -> 01:49 PM)
When guys get traded, isn't there some sort of provision, at least with the Canadian team, in regards to taxes and exchange rate to where the Blue Jays would have to even it out? I know at one point there was.

The salary is guaranteed and paid in dollars. That is all.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 7, 2013 -> 01:12 PM)
GMAB man, if he was willing to sign for a "Halfway decent offer" the team would quite readily have popped 3/$36 for him. He wanted to hit the FA market and see what was out there, and a team offered him basically $22 million for waiving his no trade clause.

You can take a break if you want, I'll give one to you. However you are wrong, we offered him dogs*** on purpose.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 7, 2013 -> 03:39 PM)
You can take a break if you want, I'll give one to you. However you are wrong, we offered him dogs*** on purpose.

We didn't make him an offer. We let him go out and see what market value was for him, and he found a team willing to vastly overpay for him if he gave up his NTC. He was willing to make that sacrifice.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 7, 2013 -> 02:44 PM)
We didn't make him an offer. We let him go out and see what market value was for him, and he found a team willing to vastly overpay for him if he gave up his NTC. He was willing to make that sacrifice.

Yes they did.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 7, 2013 -> 02:50 PM)
ORLY? Do tell.

Go back to the old thread. They told him exactly what they would pay him and it was a no brainer to take what was about twice as much from Miami.

I admit it wasnt a formal offer which they never really made because their value of him wasnt even close to what other teams was.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 4, 2013 -> 08:27 AM)
2013: $11,000,000

2014: $18,000,000

2015: $19,000,000

I'm not shedding any tears for #56.

What a ridiculous contract! Good for Mark!...but ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (greg775 @ May 22, 2013 -> 06:37 PM)
Do you think Mark may just retire if he keeps getting rocked? He seems like a proud guy to me. Of course some crafty lefties have good years and some bad years. maybe he'll ride out the storm.

Not with how insanely backloaded that deal was.

He pitched well today.

I listened for most of the game.

The announcers mentioned the game 3 weeks or so ago where he gave up 7 runs to the Rays in a single inning and came back to get 11 of the next 12 outs and kept the team in the game, as they rallied to win 8-7.

Those two runs were questionable. Originally, they were unearned, as Izturis made a foolhardy try at a grounder that he should have just put in his pocket and it ended up rolling into the outfield.