Erik Johnson has added a change-up

caulfield12

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=2...p;tcid=tw_share

Very informative story.

Seems that at least the organization has a philosophy of getting "contact outs" or early contact outs and not going just 5 innings because of extended at-bats and trying to strike out too many.

It's hard to get young pitchers not to focus on the radar guns and K/9 ratios, because those are two key barometers that everyone looks at, but it seems he realizes that he needs to become more refined as a pitcher and not just a thrower to make it at the next level.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 4, 2013 -> 11:36 AM)
http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=2...p;tcid=tw_share

Very informative story.

Seems that at least the organization has a philosophy of getting "contact outs" or early contact outs and not going just 5 innings because of extended at-bats and trying to strike out too many.

It's hard to get young pitchers not to focus on the radar guns and K/9 ratios, because those are two key barometers that everyone looks at, but it seems he realizes that he needs to become more refined as a pitcher and not just a thrower to make it at the next level.

That's all Don Cooper right there.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ May 4, 2013 -> 01:57 PM)
I have a feeling this guy will be in the starting rotation for the Sox to end the season. He might be the only top prospect actually doing well in the minors this season.

Beck is off to a really big start too.

Yeah, I was thumbing through the Barons' website and noticed Snodgress had a 4.66 ERA.

He's not exactly setting the world on fire, either.

But it's not like we don't have any depth at LH starter. He's going to be slated for the bullpen or trade with the depth we have (crosses fingers) at the major league level.

Plus, Thornton's deal will PROBABLY be over after this season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 4, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)
Beck is off to a really big start too.

Yeah, that's too true. It's nice to see him bounce back and really look like a steal in the draft. I always though Johnson was more polished than Beck though. At least there are a few glimmers of hope in the minors.

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 4, 2013 -> 04:26 PM)
I'm optimistic on Beck, but I'd still like to see more strikeouts. He's not missing a whole lot of bats just yet.

He's currently profiling a bit like Shirek - hitting mid-90's with a sinking fastball, getting lots of GB's but not striking out a ton. Beck has better potential than Shirek did, and physically they have very different builds, but their primary pitch is almost identical.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ May 29, 2013 -> 10:56 AM)
Shirek would be a good basement for Beck with maybe Jon Garland being a ceiling?

Not sure Garland is a good match in terms of pitches for a comp, but I don't know of a good one off hand either. I'd agree Shirek is a basement for him, and given Beck's better strength and frame, I'd say there is a better than even chance he beats that if he stays healthy. Where from there though, I'm not sure.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 29, 2013 -> 11:06 AM)
Not sure Garland is a good match in terms of pitches for a comp, but I don't know of a good one off hand either. I'd agree Shirek is a basement for him, and given Beck's better strength and frame, I'd say there is a better than even chance he beats that if he stays healthy. Where from there though, I'm not sure.

If Beck had the staying power, longevity, and production of Jon Garland, I would be thrilled. That's a guy who put up 190IP and double digit wins for nine straight years, with only two years of an era over the 4.5's

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 29, 2013 -> 01:17 PM)
Beck's best pitch is a sinker?

If Shirek was throwing THAT well, up to mid 90's, why didn't he come close to making it?

Sinking fastball. It's an FB, but has a bit of downward movement on it.

Shirek touched 95, was more often 92-93. His other stuff was mediocre, and at least until his last MiLB season, tended to wear down as the season went on. He wasn't a big guy, and had a high effort delivery. He pitched to contact a lot, got a lot of ground balls, but didn't miss a lot of bats. He didn't really get good enough with his arsenal to maybe make it until he was old for level, and stuck behind better pitchers, so he went to Korea. Supposedly he's been doing well over there.

That's familiar.

I remember him hitting a few of those against us for the Rays.

This is the danger with Danks' reduced stuff. Hotter weather, wind blowing out, higher humidity....he's going to give up a ton of homers if he doesn't keep the ball down.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 29, 2013 -> 03:04 PM)
That's familiar.

I remember him hitting a few of those against us for the Rays.

This is the danger with Danks' reduced stuff. Hotter weather, wind blowing out, higher humidity....he's going to give up a ton of homers if he doesn't keep the ball down.

He got sent to the minors again during the middle of an inning?