GT 5/5/13 Sox @ Burger Royal 1:10 pm

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 5, 2013 -> 03:47 PM)
You don't develop LF'ers. That would be a bad rebuild and one I would not be able to stomach.

I sure am glad in 1985 the Sox drafted Kurt Brown a catcher. He never did play in the majors, but it sure was better than picking a LF which the Pirates did with the next pick.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 5, 2013 -> 03:47 PM)
You don't develop LF'ers. That would be a bad rebuild and one I would not be able to stomach.

Nope, but you do develop power hitters. Luckily the guy that should hit like a 1B can play the OF too

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 5, 2013 -> 04:15 PM)
Get healthy and start taking bats to people's heads first and foremost. I'm not sure if that is contradictory or not.

If this team keeps playing this way, yes, fine, Peavy is a moveable piece come July. If Dunn keeps hitting the way he has the last 2 weeks, maybe you can get lucky and drop him on waivers

Otherwise, play the guys you have the rest of the way. You guys want to develop this cheap young talent, but then guys like Flowers, Viciedo, and Beckham struggle out of the gates like most players do (just ask the Royals), and then you declare the position open and unfilled.

+1 good post. I agree 100 %

Just to continue on with a discussion Fathom and I were having via PM...for you guys in favor of rebuilding with prospects....has anyone considered just rebuilding with some veterans instead? I suppose that is called "retooling."

Rebuilding right now via prospects strikes me as trying to buy into a commodity which is overvalued. It is the equivalent of buying high and selling low. I just don't see the value in doing it right now.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 5, 2013 -> 09:57 PM)
Nope, but you do develop power hitters. Luckily the guy that should hit like a 1B can play the OF too

With all due respect to marty, he's the only one on here that really pushes for the Sox to get rid of Viciedo.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 5, 2013 -> 09:59 PM)
Just to continue on with a discussion Fathom and I were having via PM...for you guys in favor of rebuilding with prospects....has anyone considered just rebuilding with some veterans instead? I suppose that is called "retooling."

The Red Sox this year are a perfect example of that (with an unlimited budget though), and I would suggest the 2005 White Sox did a fantastic job of this as well. The hardest thing to acquire is pitching, and thankfully the Sox have some good depth there and can afford to dangle Peavy, IMO.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 5, 2013 -> 03:55 PM)
I sure am glad in 1985 the Sox drafted Kurt Brown a catcher. He never did play in the majors, but it sure was better than picking a LF which the Pirates did with the next pick.

What are you talking about?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 5, 2013 -> 02:05 PM)
Well, I prefer the catcher who missed the big leagues compared to the half human half injection monster, but then that's just me again :)

Yeah, but he was a hell of a player before the drugs

QUOTE (fathom @ May 5, 2013 -> 02:01 PM)
The Red Sox this year are a perfect example of that (with an unlimited budget though), and I would suggest the 2005 White Sox did a fantastic job of this as well. The hardest thing to acquire is pitching, and thankfully the Sox have some good depth there and can afford to dangle Peavy, IMO.

I mean why buy the house in 2006 when you can just rent instead?

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 5, 2013 -> 03:59 PM)

Rebuilding right now via prospects strikes me as trying to buy into a commodity which is overvalued. It is the equivalent of buying high and selling low. I just don't see the value in doing it right now.

Maybe. I would not however keep anything that has trade value to do the rebuild. Get rid of Peavy, Rios, and whatever has value in the bullpem. The rbuild could be pretty quick if Sale, Quintana, Santiago, and Danks perform as hoped. If they don't there's really no reason to keep Peavy anyway.