5/5 Games

caulfield12

http://www.milb.com/scoreboard/index.jsp?s...mp;ymd=20130505

Birmingham won a football game, 16-14.

Thompson 3/5 with no K's, back over .200.

Semien continues to hit well for the Barons.

Thompson actually gave up 2 runs in 1 1/3rd and still got the win.

Pederson having a very strong start to the season for the Dodgers. Puig not far behind.

C Bryan Anderson not exactly screaming out for a promotion from Charlotte.

We have three guys in Phegley, Miguel Gonzalez and Kevan Smith....hopefully one of them emerges. Phegley's the closest of the group, Gonzalez has the raw tools but has been a prospect/now suspect seemingly forever and Smith is the most intriguing.

Edited by caulfield12

I know it appears that Thompson has been off to a poor start this season, and he has if you look at his HR/AVG/OPS numbers, but quietly he has gotten his K% down to 20%. I haven't seen him at all so I don't know how he's looked or how his at bats have gone, but his improved contact rate early on has to be taken as a positive development. Hopefully he can sustain that.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 5, 2013 -> 07:37 PM)
C Bryan Anderson not exactly screaming out for a promotion from Charlotte.

We have three guys in Phegley, Miguel Gonzalez and Kevan Smith....hopefully one of them emerges. Phegley's the closest of the group, Gonzalez has the raw tools but has been a prospect/now suspect seemingly forever and Smith is the most intriguing.

Gonzalez isn't really a prospect anymore - he isn't even starting, he's playing about 3 days a week, and some of those are late inning replacement instances.

But I have been quite happy with Phegley so far.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 6, 2013 -> 07:25 AM)
I know it appears that Thompson has been off to a poor start this season, and he has if you look at his HR/AVG/OPS numbers, but quietly he has gotten his K% down to 20%. I haven't seen him at all so I don't know how he's looked or how his at bats have gone, but his improved contact rate early on has to be taken as a positive development. Hopefully he can sustain that.

Last 10 games for Trayce: .270/.378/.486, 6 BB and 7 K in 43+ PA

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 6, 2013 -> 08:17 AM)
Last 10 games for Trayce: .270/.378/.486, 6 BB and 7 K in 43+ PA

Unfortunately, this is how we're going to evaluate most of our better position playing prospects. A lot of them are raw/toolsy players who were given aggressive assignments, so you have to look for improvements over the course of the season and not their numbers in aggregate.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 6, 2013 -> 08:51 AM)
Unfortunately, this is how we're going to evaluate most of our better position playing prospects. A lot of them are raw/toolsy players who were given aggressive assignments, so you have to look for improvements over the course of the season and not their numbers in aggregate.

Thompson is where he belongs. You're right about the improvement over the course of the season, but he wasn't given an aggressive assignment.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 6, 2013 -> 10:11 PM)
Thompson is where he belongs. You're right about the improvement over the course of the season, but he wasn't given an aggressive assignment.

If anything, you'd hope a high school player would at some point be able to move more than one level per year.

Otherwise, it will take 5-6 years for him to reach the majors, which isn't very ideal.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 7, 2013 -> 01:23 AM)
If anything, you'd hope a high school player would at some point be able to move more than one level per year.

Otherwise, it will take 5-6 years for him to reach the majors, which isn't very ideal.

Nothing wrong with reaching the major leagues at 23-24