f***ing drunk driver

Texsox

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 15, 2013 -> 04:41 PM)
I've seriously been standing in one spot, smoking a cigarette, and fallen on my face before. I don't know how anybody could ever get that drunk and drive.

It's because at that point your decision making is severely impaired. It's not like most people plan on going out and getting bombed and then driving. You may plan to go to the bar for 2 or 3 beers, but then a couple buddies come in and you end up having like 10 and all of the sudden you are too drunk to realize that you're too drunk to drive.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 15, 2013 -> 04:31 PM)
No, it's a safety issue. It should be as low as they could possibly make it. Zero tolerance, even.

If it were zero tolerance, 90% of the bars in my area would be forced to close. There is no cab service and many of them are out in the country where you cannot walk to them.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ May 16, 2013 -> 09:17 AM)
If it were zero tolerance, 90% of the bars in my area would be forced to close. There is no cab service and many of them are out in the country where you cannot walk to them.

Not just that but think about how many people will have a glass of wine or a single beer or cocktail with their dinner.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ May 16, 2013 -> 08:16 AM)
It's because at that point your decision making is severely impaired. It's not like most people plan on going out and getting bombed and then driving. You may plan to go to the bar for 2 or 3 beers, but then a couple buddies come in and you end up having like 10 and all of the sudden you are too drunk to realize that you're too drunk to drive.

AND THEN YOU CALL A CAB

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ May 16, 2013 -> 08:16 AM)

That's completely moronic. People being "too drunk to realize they are too drunk to drive" is completely asinine. When you've had ten beers, you know you shouldn't be driving. When you're hammered, you know it. You still make that choice.

I've done it. Not proud of it, but I've done it. I've also realized the entire time I was driving that if I were to get pulled over I'd be completely f***ed.

I don't do it anymore, but I have. And I also knew what I was doing was wrong.

EDIT AND STUPID

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 16, 2013 -> 10:04 AM)
That's completely moronic. People being "too drunk to realize they are too drunk to drive" is completely asinine. When you've had ten beers, you know you shouldn't be driving. When you're hammered, you know it. You still make that choice.

I've done it. Not proud of it, but I've done it. I've also realized the entire time I was driving that if I were to get pulled over I'd be completely f***ed.

EDIT AND STUPID

It's not an excuse, it's incredibly moronic, and as long as we pretend "Saying don't do it!" with more bleeped out words or even lowering the BAC would solve that problem...nothing will change.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 16, 2013 -> 09:04 AM)

EDIT AND STUPID

Or even after 3 you should realize "hey, this isn't going in the right direction. I have to drive later so I should stop." I go through that routine once a weekend.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 16, 2013 -> 09:29 AM)
Or even after 3 you should realize "hey, this isn't going in the right direction. I have to drive later so I should stop." I go through that routine once a weekend.

Yup. Exactly.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 16, 2013 -> 10:36 AM)
Don't you lose all menal stability after 3 beers and turn into a beer pounding pile of masculinity who drives home and just DESTROYS some p****?

No...but your decision making might be impaired enough to decide you can order that 4th or 5th drink and still drive home.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 16, 2013 -> 10:29 AM)

I use 4 beers as my limit if I go out and have to drive. This is provided that it is over at least a 2 hour period. I've never really had an issue with not being able to stop at that point.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 16, 2013 -> 09:38 AM)
No...but your decision making might be impaired enough to decide you can order that 4th or 5th drink and still drive home.

Then stop at 1 or 2. The point is that everyone knows their limit and getting beyond that is a willful choice.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 16, 2013 -> 11:00 AM)
Then stop at 1 or 2. The point is that everyone knows their limit and getting beyond that is a willful choice.

So you're content with the status quo? Because clearly telling everyone to enforce this on their own and then jailing 1% of the people who don't listen works, right?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 16, 2013 -> 08:03 AM)
So you're content with the status quo? Because clearly telling everyone to enforce this on their own and then jailing 1% of the people who don't listen works, right?

Yes, it is incredibly moronic...and then we bombard everyone with tv ads which basically tell the story that the only way to have fun is to drink...and let's just be honest here, they're not advertising this to the guy that's going to have two beers with dinner and then head home. It's always a night out with the guys or girls, at the beach, at the club, camping, etc...those are situations where we all know most people would be over .08 or even double that...it's just absolute horses*** to celebrate this culture in almost every walk of life and then to expect people not to drink and drive.

If most people actually practiced what the law allows, many of our food and beverage businesses outside of major cities would be absolutely screwed. Then we'd have job losses. We'd have no local businesses or "downtown" areas in these suburbs or smaller towns. Property values would drop. The economy as a whole would suffer massively.

There are solutions, but they aren't "don't drink and drive and if you do and get caught, we will fine the s*** out of you and suspend your license for a year."

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 16, 2013 -> 11:05 AM)
This is starting to feel an awful lot like another discussion.

Because every time this sort of event happens, nothing changes. People die, people get angry, occasionally enforcement tactics change, but there is never any step taken to actually break the link between going out to one's local restaurant/bar establishments, supporting those businesses, and the need to get home afterwards.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 16, 2013 -> 10:10 AM)
Because every time this sort of event happens, nothing changes. People die, people get angry, occasionally enforcement tactics change, but there is never any step taken to actually break the link between going out to one's local restaurant/bar establishments, supporting those businesses, and the need to get home afterwards.

People are never going to stop driving drunk. People got drunk during prohibition. Acting like any laws put in place will stop the repeat offenders is just ignorant.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 16, 2013 -> 10:03 AM)

I know what you're getting at, but you're deflecting blame of the person making a bad decision to the alcohol itself. "Oh, well after 4 beers my mind was kind of gone SO I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT I WAS DOING." Bulls***, you made a conscious choice and now you deal with it. The effects of alcohol is not a justification for driving drunk.

Alcohol is like anything else that's dangerous - when used properly, it's perfectly fine. When you mix in morons that make dumb choices (we've all done it and realize we're morons when we do it) the blame is on us, not alcohol.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 16, 2013 -> 08:27 AM)
People are never going to stop driving drunk. People got drunk during prohibition. Acting like any laws put in place will stop the repeat offenders is just ignorant.

That's why he's saying that the way to make it less of a safety issue isn't to just keeping jacking up the fines and suspensions.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 16, 2013 -> 10:31 AM)
That's why he's saying that the way to make it less of a safety issue isn't to just keeping jacking up the fines and suspensions.

I agree with your idea of the breathalyzer ignition lock devices on all cars. However, implemntation of that doesn't seem very feasible in the near future.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 16, 2013 -> 08:31 AM)
I know what you're getting at, but you're deflecting blame of the person making a bad decision to the alcohol itself. "Oh, well after 4 beers my mind was kind of gone SO I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT I WAS DOING." Bulls***, you made a conscious choice and now you deal with it. The effects of alcohol is not a justification for driving drunk.

Alcohol is like anything else that's dangerous - when used properly, it's perfectly fine. When you mix is morons that make dumb choices (we've all done it and realize we're morons when we do it) the blame is on us, not alcohol.

The problem with that logic is that when it is used properly, it intoxicates you...which inhibits your ability to do most things as well as you would without it.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 16, 2013 -> 08:33 AM)
I agree with your idea of the breathalyzer ignition lock devices on all cars. However, implemntation of that doesn't seem very feasible in the near future.

Why not?

Automakers are putting all kinds of stuff in cars...why can't they do this?

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 16, 2013 -> 10:34 AM)
The problem with that logic is that when it is used properly, it intoxicates you...which inhibits your ability to do most things as well as you would without it.

Even if it does, so long as you do it at a place where you intend to stay a while, it's perfectly safe.