5/6 Games

caulfield12

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ May 6, 2013 -> 06:11 PM)
Why was Cose pulled with one out to go? did he get injured or something?

2 unearned runs for Cose.

Probably due to pitch count and/or the fact that the reliever they brought in was a better match-up to strand the runner and keep the game close at that point.

All DH's are only 7 innings in the minors, so that was a critical point in the game for the Dash.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (flavum @ May 6, 2013 -> 09:39 PM)
Micah Johnson--25 bags.

When I saw him play live about a month ago, it wasn't even that he had amazing speed, he had very good speed but was a very smart base-runner. If he continues stealing bags, will he eventually be a Top 20 ChiSox Prospect?

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ May 7, 2013 -> 03:59 AM)
When I saw him play live about a month ago, it wasn't even that he had amazing speed, he had very good speed but was a very smart base-runner. If he continues stealing bags, will he eventually be a Top 20 ChiSox Prospect?

He very well might be a top 10 if he keeps this up.

There's a guy who puts a lot of videos up for both Kanny and W-S (and other SAL and CAR league teams) on YouTube, FS talks with him regularly. He was there yesterday for the double-header. I'm very curious to see the video on Cose - he converted to a sidearm delivery, scrapes 90, his stuff moves a lot, and it has been working for him.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 6, 2013 -> 08:46 PM)
Kyle Hansen with a great outing

Good to see him in action. They talked about wanting him to start, eventually. I'm guessing he's in relief for now, as he adds/refines secondary pitches. Should likely be starting by OD next year or sooner, though he may be a reliever in the end anyway. This org likes to have their relievers start sometimes, for their middle years in the system.

Saw reports from the game he was 90-94 FB, with a good slider too.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 6, 2013 -> 08:39 PM)
Micah Johnson--25 bags.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ May 6, 2013 -> 09:59 PM)

If I were making a list now, he is Top 20, but not Top 10 yet. That could change as the season goes on. If he can keep the OBP in the high 300's, with that speed, he has a lot of value.

There was an MiLB article up about him yesterday. He does some unorthodox things - uses a walking lead-off, up to a limit, then paces in place. Weird. Seems to work for him, he's 25 for 29 in SB attempts. And one of those CS was a pickoff where he was experimenting with just how far he could take his walking lead.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 7, 2013 -> 07:49 AM)
There's a guy who puts a lot of videos up for both Kanny and W-S (and other SAL and CAR league teams) on YouTube, FS talks with him regularly. He was there yesterday for the double-header. I'm very curious to see the video on Cose - he converted to a sidearm delivery, scrapes 90, his stuff moves a lot, and it has been working for him.

Good to see him in action. They talked about wanting him to start, eventually. I'm guessing he's in relief for now, as he adds/refines secondary pitches. Should likely be starting by OD next year or sooner, though he may be a reliever in the end anyway. This org likes to have their relievers start sometimes, for their middle years in the system.

Saw reports from the game he was 90-94 FB, with a good slider too.

If I were making a list now, he is Top 20, but not Top 10 yet. That could change as the season goes on. If he can keep the OBP in the high 300's, with that speed, he has a lot of value.

There was an MiLB article up about him yesterday. He does some unorthodox things - uses a walking lead-off, up to a limit, then paces in place. Weird. Seems to work for him, he's 25 for 29 in SB attempts. And one of those CS was a pickoff where he was experimenting with just how far he could take his walking lead.

That's the kind of thing that won't work at the major league level.

Sounds a little bit like Lance Johnson's basestealing strategy...."Lance on point," minus the marching in place mechanism.

You'd think if he was basically pacing...that eventually a pitcher with a good pick-off move could catch him off balance or on the wrong foot and it would be hard for him to get back to the bag.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 7, 2013 -> 09:39 AM)
That's the kind of thing that won't work at the major league level.

Sounds a little bit like Lance Johnson's basestealing strategy...."Lance on point," minus the marching in place mechanism.

You'd think if he was basically pacing...that eventually a pitcher with a good pick-off move could catch him off balance or on the wrong foot and it would be hard for him to get back to the bag.

Probably. But he's still raw, in A ball, and experimenting. There are guys in the majors who use walking leads of sorts. I think the thing to take from this is, not only is Johnson very fast, he's also a smart baserunner. That could take him a long way, as long as he can get on base. If he can't get on base then he's just Gary Redus (thought you'd like that reference caulfield).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 7, 2013 -> 09:21 AM)
Probably. But he's still raw, in A ball, and experimenting. There are guys in the majors who use walking leads of sorts. I think the thing to take from this is, not only is Johnson very fast, he's also a smart baserunner. That could take him a long way, as long as he can get on base. If he can't get on base then he's just Gary Redus (thought you'd like that reference caulfield).

Gary Redus A Bedtime Story, to be more exact.

We need more Ivan Bubbling Calderons, haha.

Actually, my favorite one dimensional Sox player (pinch-runner) from that time period was Rodney McCray.

He later became more famous for running through a fence in a minor league game, I think it was while playing for Vancouver.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 7, 2013 -> 09:49 AM)

When I saw him pitch in early April he didn't throw side-arm, must of converted very recently. I did notice he hit 90 and that his pitches had good movement though.