Sox setting up for the end of the Konerko era?

southsider2k5

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 7, 2013 -> 02:54 PM)
So the Sox claimed Lars Anderson first, then cleared him off of the 40 man by outrighting him to Charlotte. Today they claimed Mike McDade, another 1B. Are the Sox setting up for the end of the Paul Konerko era?

They should have picked up Van Slyke from the Dodgers' organization when he was available to any MLB team...

If Viciedo starts playing 1B at any point this season, then we'll know. Or in winter ball.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 7, 2013 -> 04:58 PM)
They should have picked up Van Slyke from the Dodgers' organization when he was available to any MLB team...

If Viciedo starts playing 1B at any point this season, then we'll know. Or in winter ball.

Dunn's been at 1B more. That's an early sign.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 7, 2013 -> 03:58 PM)
I hope that neither sees a starting job on the Sox. I still say that Konerko's last season in Chicago will be 2015.

His contract ends in 2014 and he signs a one year deal.

Konerko's deal ends after this year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 7, 2013 -> 09:54 PM)
So the Sox claimed Lars Anderson first, then cleared him off of the 40 man by outrighting him to Charlotte. Today they claimed Mike McDade, another 1B. Are the Sox setting up for the end of the Paul Konerko era?

If these are the contingency plans, then can we just sign Carlos Zambrano to play first base? I don't think bringing in minor league journeymen means much.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 7, 2013 -> 09:58 PM)
I hope that neither sees a starting job on the Sox. I still say that Konerko's last season in Chicago will be 2015.

His contract ends in 2014 and he signs a one year deal.

He needs to show he can still be a productive hitter. Some huge question marks about his bat speed.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 7, 2013 -> 03:13 PM)
If these are the contingency plans, then can we just sign Carlos Zambrano to play first base? I don't think bringing in minor league journeymen means much.

I've heard Julio Franco is available. Or Omar Vizquel.

The problem with Dunn playing 1B is that he's horrible over there...and in LF. And the fact that we don't have a single player in the organization right now who profiles as a DH to replace him, other than Viciedo.

And most would prefer Viciedo in LF/Dunn DH or Viciedo 1B/DUnn DH to Viciedo DH/Dunn 1B and trying to fill the LF hole with what we've got now in our system.

That said, Marty's theory is that it's a lot easier to find a LFer than any position on the field, so we'll see what Hahn comes up with. There's definitely an argument that filling 1B/DH is just as easy with a Mark Reynolds/Carlos Pena/Lance Berkman/Eric Chavez type of player who's much less expensive than a premier DH.

The counterargument would be someone like Josh Willingham, if you consider what the Twins are paying for him to be cheap.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 7, 2013 -> 09:18 PM)
I've heard Julio Franco is available. Or Omar Vizquel.

The problem with Dunn playing 1B is that he's horrible over there...and in LF. And the fact that we don't have a single player in the organization right now who profiles as a DH to replace him, other than Viciedo.

And most would prefer Viciedo in LF/Dunn DH or Viciedo 1B/DUnn DH to Viciedo DH/Dunn 1B and trying to fill the LF hole with what we've got now in our system.

That said, Marty's theory is that it's a lot easier to find a LFer than any position on the field, so we'll see what Hahn comes up with. There's definitely an argument that filling 1B/DH is just as easy with a Mark Reynolds/Carlos Pena/Lance Berkman/Eric Chavez type of player who's much less expensive than a premier DH.

The counterargument would be someone like Josh Willingham, if you consider what the Twins are paying for him to be cheap.

Dunn has been fine defensively at 1B since he's been on the Sox.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 7, 2013 -> 03:13 PM)
He needs to show he can still be a productive hitter. Some huge question marks about his bat speed.

It's kind of sad. A lot more fans hoping with their hearts over their brains with Paulie...at least what we've seen out of him so far in 2013.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 7, 2013 -> 03:20 PM)

What do the various defensive metrics say?

I would just think (subjectively) he's a bit below average...certainly better than in LF, though.

Not as good with scooping the ball out of the dirt as Paulie, but better range and he gets to more balls than Konerko due to his height and a bit more athleticism.

Edited by caulfield12

Plan A sure looks like Konerko gone, Dunn and Viciedo at 1B/DH, and hopefully one of the OF prospects is good enough to come up in 2014. But that last part is looking sketchy, at least at this point.

I don't see how the McDade acquisition has anything to do with any of this. Looking at McDade's career, scouting reports... he's just not a real candidate at this point. He is not another Gillaspie by any stretch. I think he's bench filler for Charlotte.

Loman in AAA isn't a likely long term solution either, he's just injury insurance on PK and Dunn. Wilkins is repeating AA and not doing that great. Dan Black is raking in AA, but he's still a long shot, and we'll know if he is at all in the future plans if you see him starting in AAA this season at some point. Even then I'm not sure he's looked at that way. Overall the 1B depth in the Sox system is severely lacking, at least for 2014 purposes.

This picture gets a lot better if Mitchell, Thompson and/or Walker can start putting it together this season and hit well in AAA.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ May 7, 2013 -> 09:33 PM)
Dunn's actually decent at 1st. Sometimes I wonder if posters even watch the games or if they're too busy writing complaint posts.

Considering there's a statue at first base most of the games, I don't think Dunn has been bad when he's been on the field.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 7, 2013 -> 04:20 PM)

I agree. He's fine. Not great and a lot of ST'ers only remember the couple mistakes he's made. My dad insists that he always steps forward to early when he receives throws and that it costs him range...I don't know if I see that.

Yeah, none of these moves are to replace Konerko - it's just a shot at getting lucky with one of them. I also wonder if there's some sort of health issue we may not know about (he's certainly been playing 1st a lot less than in the past) and we may just want a backup plan that isn't Seth Loman.

Yeah, none of these minor leaguers are going to be Konerko's replacement. And while I still have faith in Viciedo, I think you keep him in LF until someone forces him out of the spot or until he shows he can't handle the position defensively.

That means free agency or the trade market. One name that would be somewhat intriguing on the cheap would be Kendrys Morales. He'll be 30 to start the 2014 season, he can hit RHP, and playing at Safeco this year could suppress his power numbers. If you can get him at a reasonable price, he might be a nice replacement for Konerko.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 7, 2013 -> 04:43 PM)
I agree. He's fine. Not great and a lot of ST'ers only remember the couple mistakes he's made. My dad insists that he always steps forward to early when he receives throws and that it costs him range...I don't know if I see that.

One issue with Dunn is that he always seem to "set up" and lock into a position to catch the ball...then, for whatever reason, he's having a very difficult time adjusting.

Part of it is simply his size and frame.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 7, 2013 -> 01:54 PM)

If that is the answer to Konerko, we are in trouble. Same can be said for Viciedo, who has a lot to prove this year.