Sox setting up for the end of the Konerko era?

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 8, 2013 -> 11:22 AM)
I think the White Sox should be AROUND Paul Konerko. He's only 37.

He's been brought back from the dead more than Michael Myers. PAUL KONERKOSTEIN YO

Edited by witesoxfan

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 8, 2013 -> 11:23 AM)
20k, not 22k now. Down from 24k last year.

And the message of trading Jake Peavy will collapse attendance. The legacy of White Flag is not dead in this town.

It's even at the same point as last year. White flag was when they had a chance to win, this team doesn't with or without Peavy

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 8, 2013 -> 11:53 AM)
It's even at the same point as last year. White flag was when they had a chance to win, this team doesn't with or without Peavy

You honestly believe teh Sox trade Jake Peavy in midseason and attendance does nothing, and no one writes about White Flag? Now I know you are trolling.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 8, 2013 -> 11:55 AM)
You honestly believe teh Sox trade Jake Peavy in midseason and attendance does nothing, and no one writes about White Flag? Now I know you are trolling.

I honestly think that attendance will not be adversely affected by a Jake Peavy trade. 10 games out is no white flag.

I disagree with your stance. People aren't going to a Sox game to zOMG JAKE PEAVY. Not now, not ever. Also, no one in their right mind thinks this is a team that will compete, so it wouldn't be a white flag.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 8, 2013 -> 12:04 PM)
I honestly think that attendance will not be adversely affected by a Jake Peavy trade. 10 games out is no white flag.

Per the usual, you can do no right on this board, but I agree with you.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 8, 2013 -> 12:24 PM)
I disagree with your stance. People aren't going to a Sox game to zOMG JAKE PEAVY. Not now, not ever. Also, no one in their right mind thinks this is a team that will compete, so it wouldn't be a white flag.

Per the usual, you can do no right on this board, but I agree with you.

If you really believe that, you don't remember your White Sox history, at all.

The cubs have white flagged two years now and god knows how many more. To say anything the Sox do is a white flag is a Joe Cowley inciter piece.

The Blackhawks have a better chance scoring a goal than the White Sox do getting runs.

Since last Wednesday this is guess as it is disgusting

Blackhawks 13

White Sox 11

that is all you need to know

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ May 8, 2013 -> 05:41 PM)
The cubs have white flagged two years now and god knows how many more. To say anything the Sox do is a white flag is a Joe Cowley inciter piece.

You make a good point. The city understands the idea of rebuilding more now than ever.

Interesting they had an article in one of the papers yesterday with the Cubs rebuilding. The title was "Where have all the Cubs Fans Gone" If this happens when the Cubs are "rebuilding", what would happen when if the White Sox pulled the plug and decided not to be competitive for at least a few years?

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-05...-rooftop-owners

Again, will one of you who thinks rebuilding is the only way give me one reason to think it would work with the guys like KW, Hahn, Buddy Bell calling the shots? Wilder was a crook, but the funny thing is, his fake players he used to line his pockets aren't much worse than the real ones these guys praise year after year who turn into nothing.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ May 8, 2013 -> 12:41 PM)

The Blackhawks have a better chance scoring a goal than the White Sox do getting runs.

Since last Wednesday this is guess as it is disgusting

Blackhawks 13

White Sox 11

that is all you need to know

You can't be drawing a parallel between the Sox fan base and the Cubs.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 8, 2013 -> 01:04 PM)
You can't be drawing a parallel between the Sox fan base and the Cubs.

I agree, that's just crazy, and Cubs fans who look for excuses to go to games are starting not to show up. Sox fans look for excuses not to go to games.

Can't go, the seats are blue.

Can't go, I bought a $10 ticket and they won't give me access to the first row behind the dugout.

Can't go, they are in first place, but it's not "sustained success". If they had a good team 2 years ago, I would probably go, but not if they are good just this year.

Can't go, they change the pre-game video.

And 2 complaints that were actually on WSI, can't go, the fireworks aren't loud enough.

Can't go, the usher doesn't smile at me every time I pass.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 8, 2013 -> 01:13 PM)
If the team is 10+ out, is that really a White Flag trade?

Comparing the two is ridiculous.

Dumping your best players for prospects usually doesn't sell, unless said prospects make a very quick impact. If the Sox traded Peavy for the Tyler Flowers and Brent Lillibridges of the world, that wouldn't go over very well.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 8, 2013 -> 01:15 PM)
Dumping your best players for prospects usually doesn't sell, unless said prospects make a very quick impact. If the Sox traded Peavy for the Tyler Flowers and Brent Lillibridges of the world, that wouldn't go over very well.

10+ games out and a last place team with your best players doesn't sell, either. Thinking a trade of Peavy will kill the fan base/remaining attendance is laughable. That's not a White Flag trade.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 8, 2013 -> 01:17 PM)
10+ games out and a last place team with your best players doesn't sell, either. Thinking a trade of Peavy will kill the fan base/remaining attendance is laughable. That's not a White Flag trade.

If it doesn't set you up for next year, it will hurt. If the team could score runs, they would have a decent record right now. The Sox could use some hitters. Floyd, Konerko are off the books next year. $25 million more for the national TV contract. If payroll remains the same, that's $47 million freed to get some bats just next season. Why, unless it's a no brainer overpay for Peavy would you trade him? Lose the next 3 months and then re-tool.

I don't understand anyone wanting the Sox to dump their best players. They have difficulty developing players. It's a fact. Unless you are a fan of "sustained losing" as some here without question would really enjoy , that is not the way to go.

Edited by Dick Allen

The Sox have no choice but to do the half and half rebuild/retool thing. I have seen good points on here though. I don't think they trade Rios or Peavy unless they are blown away by an offer. OTOH, some of the bullpen pieces should be shopped and dealt away (Crain, Thornton, Lindstrom). I would even trade Konerko if you could get something back in return. De Aza should be available and I would deal Ramirez for a good return as well. The surplus of pitching is nice as well as the intriguing starts by Erik Johnson and Chris Beck. If the Sox added McCann, Morales types in the offseason and made one big trade including one of the young pitchers (Quintana) with Beckham and more, they could compete next year. They would have a better offense and a rotation that includes Sale, Danks, Peavy, Santiago/Quintana, and hopefully Erik Johnson. It could work. I would be on board with the full blown rebuild but many would not be. It's probably not possible with this fanbase.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 8, 2013 -> 12:42 PM)
You make a good point. The city understands the idea of rebuilding more now than ever.

The Cubs didn't even sellout last night despite being 80 degrees outside and playing the Cardinals. Hell, my wife couldn't even sell her bleacher tickets for 75% of face value. That's how bad things have gotten there.

Cubs fans have and continue to abandon ship. They'll come back when the team starts winning, but I'm sure they'd much rather be at games this summer when it's nice outside. Hardcore fans may accept rebuilding, but no one enjoys it, and casual will never truly understand. In another year or two, Cubs fans will be real pissed if the team isn't winning yet.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 8, 2013 -> 01:26 PM)
The Sox have no choice but to do the half and half rebuild/retool thing. I have seen good points on here though. I don't think they trade Rios or Peavy unless they are blown away by an offer. OTOH, some of the bullpen pieces should be shopped and dealt away (Crain, Thornton, Lindstrom). I would even trade Konerko if you could get something back in return. De Aza should be available and I would deal Ramirez for a good return as well. The surplus of pitching is nice as well as the intriguing starts by Erik Johnson and Chris Beck. If the Sox added McCann, Morales types in the offseason and made one big trade including one of the young pitchers (Quintana) with Beckham and more, they could compete next year. They would have a better offense and a rotation that includes Sale, Danks, Peavy, Santiago/Quintana, and hopefully Erik Johnson. It could work. I would be on board with the full blown rebuild but many would not be. It's probably not possible with this fanbase.

That makes sense. Don't trade guys that will be almost impossible to replace unless you are shelling out nine figures, just because someone thinks the blueprint to getting better is hitting rock bottom. How many MLB teams have been successful doing that? This isn't the NBA or the NFL where a #1 pick can make almost an immediate impact and changes the dynamic of your team.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 8, 2013 -> 01:24 PM)
If it doesn't set you up for next year, it will hurt. If the team could score runs, they would have a decent record right now. The Sox could use some hitters. Floyd, Konerko are off the books next year. $25 million more for the national TV contract. If payroll remains the same, that's $47 million freed to get some bats just next season. Why, unless it's a no brainer overpay for Peavy would you trade him? Lose the next 3 months and then re-tool.

I don't understand anyone wanting the Sox to dump their best players. They have difficulty developing players. It's a fact. Unless you are a fan of "sustained losing" as some here without question would really enjoy , that is not the way to go.

Do you think we're signing Peavy after 2014? I don't see us doing much in 2014 no matter what approach we take, so I'm fine moving him. If you can get something of value, that would sure help more to the long-term success.

Plus, if we have trouble developing players, we should just give up on that whole route? At some point that needs to be fixed or you'll never win much of anything.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 8, 2013 -> 01:24 PM)

Because Peavy is far from a guarantee of pitching at a high level for much longer.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 8, 2013 -> 01:30 PM)
Do you think we're signing Peavy after 2014? I don't see us doing much in 2014 no matter what approach we take, so I'm fine moving him. If you can get something of value, that would sure help more to the long-term success.

Plus, if we have trouble developing players, we should just give up on that whole route? At some point that needs to be fixed or you'll never win much of anything.

We have an option on Peavy for 2015.